Thread: Stratford - Permit Applications in Limbo

Stratford - Permit Applications in Limbo

A trusted source recently (last week) told me that there may be as many as EIGHT Permit Applications that have been holding/lost in bureaucratic limbo FOR MONTHS at the Stratford PD.
    - Stratford is claiming the hold-up (LOL!) is at the STATE level

The fact that the permit application is started at the town PD level is absolutely ridiculous. Application should be made directly to DPS. Imagine if you needed to get your driver's license through the PD? How many 16 year olds would have there applications "lost in limbo" somewhere in the office? Eligible is eligible, there is no need to involve the judgment of the local yokels.

My apologies to the honest (local yokels), but too many think that laws leave room for their own interpretations.

Stratford

I didn't have any problems with them OTHER than they only do 3 interviews PER WEEK! so at most (unless you know someone higher up) they are doing 12 interview PER month, that's the most number of permits coming out of SPD.

The local issuing needs to be taken out of the hands of these people who seem neither interested nor competent to carry them out. DPS needs to allow you to get a carry permit on the basis of federal eligibility like the EC's are.

If you down the road become a "prohibited person" then you lose the rights until you get that sorted out, this suitability stuff is BS.

For the record!!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas in CT View Post
    A trusted source recently (last week) told me that there may be as many as EIGHT Permit Applications that have been holding/lost in bureaucratic limbo FOR MONTHS at the Stratford PD.
    - Stratford is claiming the hold-up (LOL!) is at the STATE level
    Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 2:31 PM
    To: 'Edward Peruta'
    Subject: Fingerprint Backlog Question

Sir,

Pursuant to your phone call today, I spoke with members the Criminal Justice Information Systems Section about the existence of a backlog associated with fingerprint based background checks submitted to DPS. I was told the turnaround time of fingerprint based background checks submitted to DPS is one to two weeks from the time the fingerprint cards are received by DPS. This is essentially the same as it was back in May 2010. However, as noted this past May, it should be understood that some individual submissions may take significantly longer to process, but this delay is due to information related to the individual submission (e.g. out of state history verification, etc.).

All the best,

Tpr. Hatfield
    Last edited by Edward Peruta; 01-05-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Time for action

Sounds like we need to start going after Stratford for information.

I think the plan should be:

1) Submit FOIA requests for the number of permit applications currently 'in limbo'. This info should also include what the permit application's status is and when it was actually submitted to the department.

2) Contact the Chief of Police in Stratford. Inform him of the law, the very clear answer from DPS on there being no significant delay. Inform the Chief that he and his department are in clear violation of the law.

3) Based on answers and conversation with the Chief of Police in Stratford, contact media and see if we can very publicly expose this as a reason for killing suitability and local authority in the permit process.

4) Inform the Attorney General and the main players (mayor, town attorney, etc) that Stratford is in direct violation of the law and if no action is taken by them to correct this, they are subject to a lawsuit.

5) Commit to lawsuit.

Any further ideas/corrections/comments/etc?

Ed, have you already started any other actions with regards to Stratford?

Stratford

Rich,
    I have done nothing with Stratford, I have been very busy with personal issues since arriving in CT. Will be leaving on Monday and am in the process of rendering the HD Video of the Appeal hearing so I can post a link.

Your thoughts are correct, I would definately get Stratford to state their reasons in writing.

I asked Trooper Hatfield the questions to set the record straight for all those who are told that there is a delay at DPS with the background checks.

It's gonna get interesting.

Today is Tuesday - Feb. 8th.
    Same student is still waiting on his Permit from Stratford.

I suggested that he send a Request for Hearing to the Board in Hartford.
    Last edited by Douglas in CT; 02-08-2011 at 03:52 PM.

If he fills out the request now, he's looking at a hearing of September through November.

Not as long a denial, but still quit a bit out here.

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.