Thread: Open carry two guns?

Open carry two guns?

Hello everyone, first time poster here. My first question/topic for discussion might be a bit unusual, but does anyone open carry two pistols?

My story: I've lived in Arizona for several years, had intended to buy a pistol as soon as I moved here from the totalitarian state of Massachusetts, but didn't finally get organized and bought my first pistol last month. I am inclined to mostly open carry my Glock at it is too chunky for IWB and frankly OWB is just so much more comfortable and accessible. Am currently looking to pick up a smaller back up gun like a Bond Arms derringer in the same caliber, for carry on my left side. While I was originally thinking pocket carry, why not just open carry in a horizontal holster at 10 or 11 o'clock?

Any thoughts on open carrying two pistols?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Welcome to OCDO Carlos.

While I frequently do carry a BUG, I have never OCd the second one.

Two spare magazines, cell phone and a 1911 on my belt are enough, thank you.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Derringer is pretty much worthless. A BUG is OK... but normally it's concealed. I knew a guy who'd carry a pair of SAA Colts... but even that is a bit over the top.

What kind of Glock did you get that is too chunky for IWB? I carry my 22 in a Kholster all day. As far as OC'ing two guns, the only time I do that is when I'm hiking up in the mountains near the border. 44 mag on the hip for bears and Glock .40 in a shoulder rig for "coyotes"
    My location says I am from Sierra Vista, AZ which is where I live now but I actually lived in MO for 26 years! So please stop telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I post in the Missouri forum!

Quote Originally Posted by mFonz77 View Post
    What kind of Glock did you get that is too chunky for IWB? I carry my 22 in a Kholster all day. As far as OC'ing two guns, the only time I do that is when I'm hiking up in the mountains near the border. 44 mag on the hip for bears and Glock .40 in a shoulder rig for "coyotes"
    Aren't all Glocks chinky........oh sorry you said chunky.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

My "chunky" Glock is the 29SF. Looking at BUGs in the same caliber. Another option is the S&W 310 "night guard. Might get both -- the derringer would be cool just to have even if I never carried it.

[...] ..., such Conduct is NOT Nessecarily Illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos 10mm View Post
    does anyone open carry two pistols?
    I'd be curious to hear the "what-if" scenario that would create a need for a second gun

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    I'd be curious to hear the "what-if" scenario that would create a need for a second gun

Fred
    Mechanical failure of the primary. Having one for a friend that doesn't have one. New York reload. There are probably others.

You honestly can't think of ANY scenario that you would like to have a 2nd handgun?!?

You Sir have no imagination! Hell I could make up Scenarios that you would need 3, 4, 5, hell 20 guns! It doesn't mean its going to happen. You just need to weigh the cost of carrying a second gun against the odds of needing it.

I suppose you might imagine yourself in a 'duelist' fashion blazing away with a pair... possibly with wrists locked together Antonio Banderas style... but I'd reserve that for when the Zombies come. If you're not carrying cap 'n ball 'n adept at the 'border shift'... I'd omit the 2nd pistol.

Activist Member
    I've sometimes wished I had an identical second gun to carry on the opposite side to balance the weight distribution. It disturbs me to go on a long hike and realize one leg is more sore than the other and conclude that its because I have an extra 2.5 lbs hanging off of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    I've sometimes wished I had an identical second gun to carry on the opposite side to balance the weight distribution. It disturbs me to go on a long hike and realize one leg is more sore than the other and conclude that its because I have an extra 2.5 lbs hanging off of one.
    Amen, sir. +1000

As far as the situations, hell I usually carry two guns, but the second is always concealed and it's always a smaller caliber (and usually a smaller frame) than my primary carry weapon. I know someone in Missouri who always carries a BUG weak side in case his strong arm is shot. He practices one-hand racking with his weak hand and one hand/foot-involved reloading.
    My location says I am from Sierra Vista, AZ which is where I live now but I actually lived in MO for 26 years! So please stop telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I post in the Missouri forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    I suppose you might imagine yourself in a 'duelist' fashion blazing away with a pair... possibly with wrists locked together Antonio Banderas style... but I'd reserve that for when the Zombies come. If you're not carrying cap 'n ball 'n adept at the 'border shift'... I'd omit the 2nd pistol.
    Well speaking of the old Cap n' Ball, I used to walk way up in the woods to a shooting spot
    back where I used to trap. And knowing there was wild dogs (Domestic's gone wild)
    I carried 2 Cap n' Balls pistols, one on my strong side and then a cross draw.
    One day while going shooting there was 2 wild dogs that were on the attack coming at me.
    I pulled my gun and shot, missed the first shot, but point shot him in the leg, then turned to the other, who was
    running in large circles, then my first gun jammed, cap blew down the hammer area.
    I holstered that one and grabbed, the other point shot at him as he was going away, then went a put the other one down with a ball in his head, then buried him.

So Yes 2 guns are better then one ! Robin47 Works for me !

Talking

In tactical terms:
    two is one , and one is none.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

Sounds like someone is carrying a 1911 to me

Personally i think 2 guns are better than one. Same concept as having 2 eyes, 2 ears etc etc. BUG is self explanatory, you never know when your primary will fail. Could be a jam, could be a catastrophic failure. You just never know. Every gun made, no matter how much you paid for it, has the ability to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by >meso.40< View Post
    Sounds like someone is carrying a 1911 to me
    Stereo (a symmetrical configuration) 1911's - I love it.

I carry a 1911 w/2 mags opposite and frankly, I would blow away in a strong wind if it were not for the ballast.

I OC twin FNP-45's. Only when I have my winter coat on is the one at my six o'clock concealed, the primary on my strong side is always openly carried no matter what Im wearing.

Because I'm a clean cut looking black man who always dresses conservatively, when people see me with my two openly carried sidearms they just automatically assume Im a LEO.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by cmdr_iceman71 View Post
    I OC twin FNP-45's. Only when I have my winter coat on is the one at my six o'clock concealed, the primary on my strong side is always openly carried no matter what Im wearing.

Because I'm a clean cut looking black man who always dresses conservatively, when people see me with my two openly carried sidearms they just automatically assume Im a LEO.
    I know, some citizens do come to faulty conclusions for strange reasons, but that is the first time I've ever heard that one. If someone OCs the must be a LEO; so OCing 2 doubles the argument that they must be a LEO?

I commend you on your choice of handguns. I must say though that I have never seen a LEO OCing a pair, not even in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by NRAMARINE View Post
    In tactical terms:
    two is one , and one is none.
    Haven't heard that since my first CCW class...thanks for the reminder

I hadn't considered just OCing two Glock 29s. Considering that the pocket BUGs don't really weight more than a few ounces less, that may indeed be the simplest BUG solution.

Quote Originally Posted by mFonz77 View Post
    Haven't heard that since my first CCW class...thanks for the reminder
    You're welcome sir.
    Last edited by NRAMARINE; 12-30-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

I OC twin FNP-45's. Only when I have my winter coat on is the one at my six o'clock concealed, the primary on my strong side is always openly carried no matter what I’m wearing.

Because I'm a clean cut looking black man who always dresses conservatively, when people see me with my two openly carried sidearms they just automatically assume I’m a LEO.
    I worked for a guy out of Winslow, Az. for a time and had to go to Flagstaff for most anything I wanted, now as I have stated before I eat, sleep, dress, work, and think the cowboy way, so I carry a ruger vaquero 45 LC with a seven and a half inch barrel in a custom made old west stile rig, so more times then I can remember people would ask my wife if I were LE, to that she would reply no he`s a bounty hunter. I always thought it was strange the way some people would walk from my site as so I could not see them, untill one day my wife told me what she would say. I half to say, them that walked away did look pretty shady. I have thought about carrying a cross draw also, but decited that would be an overkill and mite tend to scare people, and thats not my intention, so my one ruger is enough, it don`t jam, and it could be filled with sand and still fire as fast as I could pull the triger, as long as I keep it clean and oiled, and with it being a 45 LC I think six shots would stop at least six bad guys if needed, I do tho. carry a cross draw when I do reenactments and see how a second firearm could come in handy in a major gun fight, I hope one like that never happen, but IF it did I hope others around me would also be carrying, and would help me.
    Last edited by rickc1962; 12-30-2010 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickc1962 View Post
    I carry a ruger vaquero 45 LC with a seven and a half inch barrel in a custom made old west stile rig
    Beautiful gun. I was looking at one at Cabela's on Wednesday, with the 5.5 inch barrel I think. Would love to have one someday, hopefully soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos 10mm View Post
    Beautiful gun. I was looking at one at Cabela's on Wednesday, with the 5.5 inch barrel I think. Would love to have one someday, hopefully soon.
    Being in the Army 30 years ago, and owning and shooting many firearms sence then, out of all I shot from single action to semi auto to full auto to M 60 A1 Tank, I got to say my favorite is by far the cowboy guns.