• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry two guns?

Carlos 10mm

Hello everyone, first time poster here. My first question/topic for discussion might be a bit unusual, but does anyone open carry two pistols?

My story: I've lived in Arizona for several years, had intended to buy a pistol as soon as I moved here from the totalitarian state of Massachusetts, but didn't finally get organized and bought my first pistol last month. I am inclined to mostly open carry my Glock at it is too chunky for IWB and frankly OWB is just so much more comfortable and accessible. Am currently looking to pick up a smaller back up gun like a Bond Arms derringer in the same caliber, for carry on my left side. While I was originally thinking pocket carry, why not just open carry in a horizontal holster at 10 or 11 o'clock?

Any thoughts on open carrying two pistols?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO Carlos.

While I frequently do carry a BUG, I have never OCd the second one.

Two spare magazines, cell phone and a 1911 on my belt are enough, thank you.

Sonora Rebel

Derringer is pretty much worthless. A BUG is OK... but normally it's concealed. I knew a guy who'd carry a pair of SAA Colts... but even that is a bit over the top.

mFonz77

What kind of Glock did you get that is too chunky for IWB? I carry my 22 in a Kholster all day. As far as OC'ing two guns, the only time I do that is when I'm hiking up in the mountains near the border. 44 mag on the hip for bears and Glock .40 in a shoulder rig for "coyotes"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What kind of Glock did you get that is too chunky for IWB? I carry my 22 in a Kholster all day. As far as OC'ing two guns, the only time I do that is when I'm hiking up in the mountains near the border. 44 mag on the hip for bears and Glock .40 in a shoulder rig for "coyotes"

Aren't all Glocks chinky........oh sorry you said chunky. :lol:

Carlos 10mm

My "chunky" Glock is the 29SF. Looking at BUGs in the same caliber. Another option is the S&W 310 "night guard. Might get both -- the derringer would be cool just to have even if I never carried it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'd be curious to hear the "what-if" scenario that would create a need for a second gun :question:

Fred

Mechanical failure of the primary. Having one for a friend that doesn't have one. New York reload. There are probably others.

jeremy05

You honestly can't think of ANY scenario that you would like to have a 2nd handgun?!?

You Sir have no imagination! Hell I could make up Scenarios that you would need 3, 4, 5, hell 20 guns! It doesn't mean its going to happen. You just need to weigh the cost of carrying a second gun against the odds of needing it.

Sonora Rebel

I suppose you might imagine yourself in a 'duelist' fashion blazing away with a pair... possibly with wrists locked together Antonio Banderas style... but I'd reserve that for when the Zombies come. If you're not carrying cap 'n ball 'n adept at the 'border shift'... I'd omit the 2nd pistol.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I've sometimes wished I had an identical second gun to carry on the opposite side to balance the weight distribution. It disturbs me to go on a long hike and realize one leg is more sore than the other and conclude that its because I have an extra 2.5 lbs hanging off of one.

mFonz77

I've sometimes wished I had an identical second gun to carry on the opposite side to balance the weight distribution. It disturbs me to go on a long hike and realize one leg is more sore than the other and conclude that its because I have an extra 2.5 lbs hanging off of one.

Amen, sir. +1000

As far as the situations, hell I usually carry two guns, but the second is always concealed and it's always a smaller caliber (and usually a smaller frame) than my primary carry weapon. I know someone in Missouri who always carries a BUG weak side in case his strong arm is shot. He practices one-hand racking with his weak hand and one hand/foot-involved reloading.

Robin47

I suppose you might imagine yourself in a 'duelist' fashion blazing away with a pair... possibly with wrists locked together Antonio Banderas style... but I'd reserve that for when the Zombies come. If you're not carrying cap 'n ball 'n adept at the 'border shift'... I'd omit the 2nd pistol.

Well speaking of the old Cap n' Ball, I used to walk way up in the woods to a shooting spot
back where I used to trap. And knowing there was wild dogs (Domestic's gone wild)
I carried 2 Cap n' Balls pistols, one on my strong side and then a cross draw.
One day while going shooting there was 2 wild dogs that were on the attack coming at me.
I pulled my gun and shot, missed the first shot, but point shot him in the leg, then turned to the other, who was
running in large circles, then my first gun jammed, cap blew down the hammer area.
I holstered that one and grabbed, the other point shot at him as he was going away, then went a put the other one down with a ball in his head, then buried him.

So Yes 2 guns are better then one ! Robin47 :) Works for me !

*1911_man*

Sounds like someone is carrying a 1911 to me ;)

Personally i think 2 guns are better than one. Same concept as having 2 eyes, 2 ears etc etc. BUG is self explanatory, you never know when your primary will fail. Could be a jam, could be a catastrophic failure. You just never know. Every gun made, no matter how much you paid for it, has the ability to fail.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Sounds like someone is carrying a 1911 to me ;)

Stereo (a symmetrical configuration) 1911's - I love it.

I carry a 1911 w/2 mags opposite and frankly, I would blow away in a strong wind if it were not for the ballast. :lol:

cmdr_iceman71

I OC twin FNP-45's. Only when I have my winter coat on is the one at my six o'clock concealed, the primary on my strong side is always openly carried no matter what I’m wearing.

Because I'm a clean cut looking black man who always dresses conservatively, when people see me with my two openly carried sidearms they just automatically assume I’m a LEO.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I OC twin FNP-45's. Only when I have my winter coat on is the one at my six o'clock concealed, the primary on my strong side is always openly carried no matter what I’m wearing.

Because I'm a clean cut looking black man who always dresses conservatively, when people see me with my two openly carried sidearms they just automatically assume I’m a LEO.

I know, some citizens do come to faulty conclusions for strange reasons, but that is the first time I've ever heard that one. If someone OCs the must be a LEO; so OCing 2 doubles the argument that they must be a LEO?

I commend you on your choice of handguns. I must say though that I have never seen a LEO OCing a pair, not even in Detroit. :D