• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Renton Road Rage: How stupid is that?

oneeyeross

Gads, reminds me of the old days (a decade ago) when I drove from Oly to Seattle VA every day for work...I do NOT miss that drive, I can tell you.

Worst case I saw was a truck than came onto I-5 and caused an SUV to have to brake. Oh, the poor guy had to slow down, so he carefully follows the truck into the commuter lane, gets in front of him and slams on his brakes, hard! The truck (lifted 4x4) had no choice but to do an emergency stop at 60 mph...needless to say, he almost lost control of his truck. Must have scared the crap out of the guy in the SUV...he high tailed it out of there with several people following him with cell phones in hand...

People need to realize that the interstate is NOT NASCAR. You don't get extra points for passing cars, for "leading the race" or anything else. Arriving alive is the mission.

The speed limit is the law, and I am required to obey the law. If you want to pass me, go right ahead and do so. Don't honk, flash your lights or tailgate. It acts as a tractor beam and just slows my car/truck down... The closer you get to me, the slower I have to go to ensure I can stop safely and not get rear ended...

Metalhead47

I've passed buses on the Freeway where the Driver is the only one aboard and they are on a regular "route", not just returning to the base.

Careful there, might just have been a driver who forgot to change his headsign, especially on the freeway. Curious to know when (as in what time of day and how long ago) all these empty bus spottings were. I'm on the road 8-10 hours a day, and I just about never see an empty bus unless it's near the start or end of service. Especially down in metroland, I see tons of 60-foot artics with people packed in like sardines.

The speed limit is the law, and I am required to obey the law. If you want to pass me, go right ahead and do so. Don't honk, flash your lights or tailgate. It acts as a tractor beam and just slows my car/truck down... The closer you get to me, the slower I have to go to ensure I can stop safely and not get rear ended...

One quick interjection here. Someone behind you flashing their lights (at least in Europe) is supposed to be a courteous gesture meaning "please move over, I'd like to pass. The other side to that coin is people who drive too slow in the left lane without reason. That too creates a safety hazard and impedes the flow of traffic.

amlevin

One quick interjection here. Someone behind you flashing their lights (at least in Europe) is supposed to be a courteous gesture meaning "please move over, I'd like to pass. The other side to that coin is people who drive too slow in the left lane without reason. That too creates a safety hazard and impedes the flow of traffic.

When I was stationed in Germany it was absolutely illegal to pass on the right-period. Because of that people kept to the right except when they were passing. With no speed limit on the autobahn, except in cities, people kept to the right or they were literally run over by someone coming up on them at close to 200 Kph. (about 120 in Mph.) It was fun to drive the a-bahn.

On the buses, I have a "cuz" that is a Metro Driver. He's told of numerous runs that he's all alone on.

Peak hours are filled but the off hours rarely fill a bus unless there is an "event".

We just "love our cars" here in the PNW and we are light years behind the rest of the world in public transit. Never had to own a car in Europe. Borrowed or rented for the 2-3 times per year I needed one. Could go from right outside my quarters to anywhere in Europe without more than a few hundred yard walk at any given time. From bus to train station to local train to streetcar to bus or cheap taxi's. Made no sense to own a car and pay outrageous costs for insurance and fuel.

Last edited:

joeroket

Being tailgated would be a special hazard that allows under the posted limit driving.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.400

Flashing of high beams is unlawful in Wa. within 300 ft. of the back of another car.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.230

Metalhead47

Being tailgated would be a special hazard that allows under the posted limit driving.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.400

Flashing of high beams is unlawful in Wa. within 300 ft. of the back of another car.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.230

Driving too slow in the fast lane (that is, failing to keep right except to pass) is ALSO illegal in WA.:rolleyes: This isn't a law issue so much as a courtesy one. If you're going slow than the flow of traffic, keep right.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Massad Ayoob put out a book some years ago telling the details of several shootings.

One applies here. A road rage incident. I cannot recall the details; but let me relate the general sense.

One car with a male driver and passenger (wife?) was "aggressed" by an inconsiderate male driver who had another male passenger. The offended driver decided to express his annoyance. The confrontation broke off after a few moments.

However, a short time later the aggressor car got into a gun fight with police. I think some police were shot.

The lesson to apply here in this thread is that some road-ragers are very dangerous people. Its obvious if you think about it for a moment. Violent criminals have no respect for people--beating, killing, robbing. It stands to reason that their complete disregard for others would also show up in other ways--like in their driving.

So, if I am "disrespected" while driving, I just let it pass. No sense trying to discover whether the other driver has a Mini-30 in the back seat.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Didn't he know one should never take a flashlight to a gunfight unless it's mounted on a gun?

(chuckle)

Now we know why Grapeshot was seen buying a large roll of duct tape and a 5-cell flashlight--he's gonna tape that light to barrel of that brass napolean.

:)

joeroket

Driving too slow in the fast lane (that is, failing to keep right except to pass) is ALSO illegal in WA.:rolleyes: This isn't a law issue so much as a courtesy one. If you're going slow than the flow of traffic, keep right.

It is only illegal if you are impeding normal and reasonable movement of traffic. If there are hazards that would dictate a slower speed than the posted max then no it is not illegal.

amlevin

It is only illegal if you are impeding normal and reasonable movement of traffic. If there are hazards that would dictate a slower speed than the posted max then no it is not illegal.

You're right but "Cranial Rectal Inversion" isn't recognized as a legit reason to be in the far left traffic lane going slow.

FMCDH

Bill Starks

State Researcher
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/archives/152560.asp

Q: Someone told me that flashing your headlights at a vehicle in front of you, particularly if it is going slow in the fast lane, is a citable offense. Is this true?

A: Yes.
"Headlights are for illumination, not communication," State Patrol trooper Cliff Pratt said. "The specific law requires drivers traveling in the same direction to dim high-beam headlights before approaching and within 300 feet of vehicles to the front and if approaching an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet."
Chapter 46.37 of the Revised Code of Washington deals with Vehicle lighting and other equipment. RCW 46.37.230 gives the details Pratt outlined.
"The main concern is temporarily blinding or creating blind spots for other motorists while operating their vehicles, thus creating and obviously hazardous situation," he said.
The fine is a $124 traffic infraction, according to the State Patrol.

FMCDH

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/archives/152560.asp

Q: Someone told me that flashing your headlights at a vehicle in front of you, particularly if it is going slow in the fast lane, is a citable offense. Is this true?

A: Yes.

Wow, I stand corrected.

Washington must be racking up the money on this one. :rolleyes:

Would be interesting to hear of anyone actually getting cited for this, and under what circumstances. I would think one would have to be abusing their high-beams to the extent of causing an unsafe condition.

I just don't see a few split second flashes as causing night blindness. I have even had semi-trucks whose lights are directly pointing into my back window do this and it didn't have any kind of disorienting effect.

Wonder if this is one of those laws that had one intent by the legislature, but is enforced however the citing officer sees fit.