• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why is Attorney General Cuccinelli promoting gun hatred in the workplace?

Repeater

Why is Attorney General Cuccinelli's Office promoting gun hatred in the workplace?

Having reviewed the "Workplace Polices" from the AG's web site, wouldn't a reasonable conclusion be that these polices promote Hoplophobia -- irrational fear of weapons, if not outright hatred?

See for yourself:

Domestic Violence: Workplace

Sample 1:

II. PROHIBITED CONDUCT
Prohibited conduct includes, but is not limited to:

4. possessing, brandishing, or using a weapon that is not required by the individual’s position while on state premises or engaged in state business;

Sample 3:

Following are examples of violations which may result in termination of employment for the first offense. This list of infractions is not intended to be all-inclusive.

• Possession of firearms, explosives or weapons of any kind on Company property.

Last edited:

Thundar

screwed by the Cooch, part 7

Repeater,

What did you expect?

The Cooch will not openly support gun rights. George Mason lawsuit was only the tip of the iceberg.

Nothing some tar and feathers couldn't fix.

Armed

Statewide Policy

That policy actually comes from the Dept. of Human Resources Management (DHRM), and applies to all state agencies. It has been enforce since before Cooch took office. Somehow, DHRM appears to be able to independently establish statewide policy. Just FYI...

Dreamer

Well, actually, these "Workplace Violence Prevention" policies (which are REALLY "Victim Disarmament Zone" policies) are actually coming through OSHA and US Dept. of Labor mandates.

$h!t rolls downhill, folks...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
That policy actually comes from the Dept. of Human Resources Management (DHRM), and applies to all state agencies. It has been enforce since before Cooch took office. Somehow, DHRM appears to be able to independently establish statewide policy. Just FYI...

Shhhh! Don't say that too loudly. Its much easier to blame someone who came into office years after the policy was put into place and assign blame to him as if he created the policy himself.

Repeater

Official approval of gun control at the workplace

Shhhh! Don't say that too loudly. Its much easier to blame someone who came into office years after the policy was put into place and assign blame to him as if he created the policy himself.

The problem with the web page is that the office of Attorney General -- with Cuccinelli's photo attached -- gives an important Imprimatur to the various problems and solutions, both real and imagined, of workplace violence.

Relevant to gun owners who carry, an alleged problem is the existence of weapons, including firearms, in the workplace, allowing an employee to 'go postal' with lethal consequences.

Blaming guns for real problems is easy and lazy, as is the 'solution' of simply banning firearms from the premises, including workplace parking lots.

The 'Model Policies' are actually drawn for the private sector. As such, the AG's office, instead of being neutral, has actually taken sides on employee self-defense. For example, VCDL, last Session, fought for the right of employees to bring a gun with them to work, to be kept in the vehicles of the employees. Of course, businesses opposed. Now they can take comfort that the AG's office agrees with them, not VCDL.

The current Attorney General could have chosen to revise that web page -- and those anti-gun policies -- but obviously he has not done so.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't quite understand the turn on Cuccinelli!

Sure, he ain't perfect. He has a house full of career lawyers, not political appointees, each with a specific area of the state to handle. Ken doesn't check every letter and ebullition that goes out.

He has his hands full right now telling Obama to stuff it. He inherited a gun case that has to be handled in some manner and we don't like the way his Deputy AG is doing it.

I understand some of the resentment. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

What I don't understand is the silence on McDonnell. He's been a snake in pro gun attire from way back but everyone seems to ignore that since he threw VCDL a mighty small bone last session.

Cuccinelli is very likely the best friend gun people have in the state and if there's any justice in this world, will be our next Governor....And, he'll be a pro gun, pro Constitution Governor.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Sure, he ain't perfect. He has a house full of career lawyers, not political appointees, each with a specific area of the state to handle. Ken doesn't check every letter and ebullition that goes out.

He has his hands full right now telling Obama to stuff it. He inherited a gun case that has to be handled in some manner and we don't like the way his Deputy AG is doing it.

I understand some of the resentment. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

What I don't understand is the silence on McDonnell. He's been a snake in pro gun attire from way back but everyone seems to ignore that since he threw VCDL a mighty small bone last session.

Cuccinelli is very likely the best friend gun people have in the state and if there's any justice in this world, will be our next Governor....And, he'll be a pro gun, pro Constitution Governor.

+1 on all points.

TFred

I haven't heard him say anything recently, but I recall at one point him making the statement that he was hoping to be a multi-administration AG.

His career will be interesting, no doubt, whatever he chooses to do.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I haven't heard him say anything recently, but I recall at one point him making the statement that he was hoping to be a multi-administration AG.

His career will be interesting, no doubt, whatever he chooses to do.

TFred

He loosened the cap on the bottle quietly, a few months ago and has been letting it fizz a little more weekly.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
You have to be kidding

"Cuccinelli is very likely the best friend gun people have in the state and if there's any justice in this world, will be our next Governor....And, he'll be a pro gun, pro Constitution Governor."

That is just plain sad.

http://www.oag.state.va.us/OPINIONS/2010opns/10-009-Greason.pdf
Is this the action of a best friend? How does this respect the right - not the privilege, the right of the people to keep and bear arms?

The supreme court feels that you do not have a right to be free to "not associate with" certain people.
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/clsvmartinez.html
"....This Court has rigorously reviewed laws and regulations that constrain associational freedom. In the context of public accommodations, we have subjected restrictions on that freedom to close scrutiny; such restrictions are permitted only if they serve "compelling state interests" ...

Il Cuce says : For example, if the government agrees to make facilities available to private parties for the purpose of teaching morals and character development to children, it cannot exclude one group that happens to engage in prayer and reading Bible stories.

But CLS above holds differently.

Il Cuce is on video saying he believed GMU's firearms ban was not sustainable but AFTER that video clip at the same VCDL meeting he told me and several others to our faces he would "decline to defend GMU in court, period." That is a direct quote.

What did he do?
http://www.gunleaders.com/blog/2010...e-mason-university-at-va-supreme-court-today/

If you allow a politician to go unpunished for unacceptable behavior you condition that politician to not fear you, not respect you and as a result not care about what you think. Il Cuce acted outside the scope of his duties by supporting GMU's unlawful incursion into the rights of citizens to protect themselves. He had complete discretionary authority to tell GMU to pound sand, but not only did he not do the right thing, he acted against us. Just as Eric Holder declined to defend NPS against the Brady lawsuit, there is NO obligation on the part of the VA AG to defend a regulation that runs afoul of our state & federal constitutions.

What if he wins? What if the Virginia Supreme Court rules against us because the traitorous Il Cuce? Every other state agency will be looking at this decision.

The real question is though, how much anti-gun activity is enough before we realize that a politician has gone bad?

With "friends" like Il Cuce, we don't need enemies.

Repeater

First, there is no 'turn' as you put it. I do wonder why his office seems to be at odds with Ken's campaign rhetoric.

For clarification, I changed the title so that it refers to his OFFICE.

Now, having done that, the one at the top is still ultimately responsible for what his office does and how it communicates.

That web page, ostensibly on 'Workplace Violence' or violence generally, declares as official policy that guns are inherently dangerous and unwelcome. That by extension means that gun owners are unwelcome. Thus, these policies promote a hostile work environment for gun owners.

So, the question would be, where does Ken Cuccinelli stand on that?

Those policies are at odds with 'parking lot carry' -- so again, where does Ken Cuccinelli stand on that?

Until he decides to resolves these issues, it's really hard to know where he really stands on Virginia gun rights.

As for "Bob's for Jobs" or whatever he's calling himself these days, at least he has low expectations from many if not most Virginia gun owners. If he is willing to exceed those low expectations, that would be great.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That web page, ostensibly on 'Workplace Violence' or violence generally, declares as official policy that guns are inherently dangerous and unwelcome. That by extension means that gun owners are unwelcome. Thus, these policies promote a hostile work environment for gun owners.

So, the question would be, where does Ken Cuccinelli stand on that?

Those policies are at odds with 'parking lot carry' -- so again, where does Ken Cuccinelli stand on that?

Until he decides to resolves these issues, it's really hard to know where he really stands on Virginia gun rights.

The turn is over the long haul Repeater. He announced his intention to run at Fuddruckers. VCDL was having a celebration there.
Except for a few that had issues with his pro life stance, he was the fair haired boy through the election.

I haven't spoken with him bout the workplace problem but I have talked at length about the Constitution including the Second Amendment. He is dedicated to both.

I try not to get into the lawsuit. Each of us has their own opinion about the judgment used in filing it in the first place. I think it's firmly etched on each of us and there's no reason to discuss it forever.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
"I haven't spoken with him bout the workplace problem but I have talked at length about the Constitution including the Second Amendment. He is dedicated to both."

Chuck Schumer supports the 2nd Amendment too, he's told us so. It's a good thing he and Il Cuce feel the same way about things so we can count on them. :-|

Repeater

McDonnell plans a bolder second year

As for "Bob's for Jobs" or whatever he's calling himself these days, at least he has low expectations from many if not most Virginia gun owners. If he is willing to exceed those low expectations, that would be great.

Well, according to the Times-Dispatch, Bob wants to be bolder!

"We'll be plenty bold this session," he said, referring to the General Assembly that convenes Jan. 12.

In particular:

"I have a great sense of urgency just because I'm self-motivated, but I get more of a sense of urgency when I realize how little time I have left ... three years and one month and a handful of days," McDonnell said. "That's not much time. So I try to always keep the fire lit underneath my Cabinet members to have a sense of mission and accomplishment and results. I tell them all the time, talk is cheap. We've got to get stuff done."

Well okay, how about getting stuff done for gun owners?

Last edited:

Repeater

McDonnell plans a bolder second year

Well, according to the Times-Dispatch, Bob wants to be bolder!

"We'll be plenty bold this session," he said, referring to the General Assembly that convenes Jan. 12.

In particular:

In the coming year, he's focusing on increasing access to and reducing costs for higher education, ...

Will McDonnell also focus on "increasing access" for all students who carry for protection?

Perhaps Virginia gun owners could encourage Bob to be bolder than he has been in the past on RKBA issues.

Rising2ndSun

This is a great discussion. However, doesn’t his “workplace violence” only exist as described in and in relation to the ‘Domestic Violence” policy/ category? Possibly, what I mean to say here is that he hasn’t changed his view on firearms and open/ concealed carry he has identified “family, friend, significant other” violence by the “perpetrator of the previous domestic violence”. I believe he has identified this in the “overview of this Domestic Violence policy.

http://www.vaag.com/KEY_ISSUES/DOMESTIC_VIOLENCE/DV_Overview.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_violence

Any thoughts to this?

Our souls and bodies need love, affection, and attention. One might say have no friend; no lover or significant other at play or at work. At work I am a rock; no, I am an island- let it be all about bidness!