• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Good Morning America" Anti-Gun Piece with Colin Goddard "Living for 32."

TFred

"The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at
90 MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the
speed limit to 20."
––SAM COHEN
I don't know the original author, but it is lately used as a signature text by someone who goes by the username "oldnoob" on various forums...

I've never seen it quite so succinctly put as this:

"Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun."​

TFred

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
I don't know the original author, but it is lately used as a signature text by someone who goes by the username "oldnoob" on various forums...

I've never seen it quite so succinctly put as this:
"Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun."
TFred
Thanks TFred mind if I put that in my signature?
;)

Repeater

Dreamer

Colin Goddard is obviously suffering from a type of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder called "Survivor Guilt Syndrome". He is undeniably deranged and incapable of rational thought, or caring for himself, and is possibly a danger to himself and others if left unsupervised...

Oh, and BTW, Colin is employed full-time by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, and you can email him here:

colin@bradynetwork.org

His Twitter address is:

clgoddard

Nice going Colin, turning the deaths of 32 of your classmates into a paycheck...

Last edited:

230therapy

Colin, you weren’t shot because of “weak gun laws;” you were shot because a deranged psychopath wanted to secure a place in the history books by murdering innocent people. You were shot because crime cannot be regulated out of existence. Administrative fiat means nothing to a criminal. Lest you forget, guns were banned–and still are–within Virginia Tech’s boundaries. If rules and legislation stopped crime, then your injuries would not have been possible.
I am confused.

I was under the impression that I could carry my concealed handgun on Virginia Tech's campus. Only VCU is listed in the law as a prohibited location for concealed carry. Furthermore, only people who sign a contract with Virginia Tech are prohibited from possessing weapons on Virginia Tech property. They agree to follow all Virginia Tech policies. However, this is only policy and all VT can do is fire the employee or expel the student and remove them from their property. Refusal is grounds for trespassing.

So how is it that a person who has not signed a contract with VT cannot carry a handgun on VT property?

What is the penalty if a student or employee carries?

Last edited:

nova

I am confused.

I was under the impression that I could carry my concealed handgun on Virginia Tech's campus. Only VCU is listed in the law as a prohibited location for concealed carry. Furthermore, only people who sign a contract with Virginia Tech are prohibited from possessing weapons on Virginia Tech property. They agree to follow all Virginia Tech policies. However, this is only policy and all VT can do is fire the employee or expel the student and remove them from their property. Refusal is grounds for trespassing.

So how is it that a person who has not signed a contract with VT cannot carry a handgun on VT property?

What is the penalty if a student or employee carries?

Simply put, there is no law. Not even for VCU. The only two public universities where carry is an issue are VCU (property) and GMU (buildings and events) since their gun bans are in the Virginia Administrative Code (policy for state agencies), not Virginia Legislative Code (criminal law).

As you said, the penalty if a student or employee is caught carrying, they can be expelled/fired. That's it.

MSC 45ACP

Simply put, there is no law. Not even for VCU. The only two public universities where carry is an issue are VCU (property) and GMU (buildings and events) since their gun bans are in the Virginia Administrative Code (policy for state agencies), not Virginia Legislative Code (criminal law).

As you said, the penalty if a student or employee is caught carrying, they can be expelled/fired. That's it.

I believe the same is true at ODU. Students and employees can be expelled/fired for carrying.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I believe the same is true at ODU. Students and employees can be expelled/fired for carrying.

I submit that the Virginia Administrative Code is law.

Any Virginia university/college may regulate/control what employees and students may do. Only VCU and GMU ban the possession of guns by all other than LEOs.

The present case before the court will hopefully clarify.

wylde007

I submit that the Virginia Administrative Code is law.
I submit that it is not.

VAC contains RULES for certain administrative functions and AGENCIES but does not contain therein CRIMINAL procedure for punishment.

For instance, the VAC contains all of the provisions for licensing and pro-rata performance of those licensed professionals. I myself am professionally obligated under my Land Surveying license by 18VAC 10-20 et seq.

Failure to abide or perform by those agency rules could lead to the revocation of my license, but there is no criminal penalty.
Any Virginia university/college may regulate/control what employees and students may do. Only VCU and GMU ban the possession of guns by all other than LEOs.
It is sad that this is indeed the case.
The present case before the court will hopefully clarify.
Let us pray.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
IIRC, and that is possibly not the case today, a violation of the VAC (or at least some parts of it) is a misdemeanor offense. No, I cannot cite at the moment because my search-fu is non-existent at the moment. Can somebody else try to cover for me on this?

stay safe.

ETA - for example (just pulled the first one I ran across - other examples probably abound and may even be germane to the issue at hand):
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+4VAC20-10-30
4VAC20-10-30. Penalty.

As set forth in § 28.2-903 of the Code of Virginia, any person violating any provision of this chapter shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor, and a second or subsequent violation of any provision of this chapter committed by the same person within 12 months of a prior violation is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Statutory Authority

§ 28.2-201 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR450-01-0001 § 3, eff. August 3, 1995.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I stand corrected.

No sweat.

We try to cover each other.

Besides, I was aware of that small provision only due to dilligent reading and cross-referencing. Trivia tends to stick in my head, while the big stuff flys right through.

stay safe.

wylde007

The sections do appear to be filed under certain "authorities" (ie: forestry) with specific emphasis referring to the state code for powers of investigation and punishment.

nova

a note: In Virginia a class 3 misdemeanor is a $500 fine. I'm not suggesting or advocating anything illegal, just stating a fact.

Last edited:

grylnsmn

They replied

Well, in hopes of clearing it up a little, I've emailed them at their contact email (firearms@vsp.virginia.gov), saying the following:

With any luck, they will reply and either clarify what they mean there, or remove the text from their site.

Donna K. Tate said:
For the purpose of exemption to the handgun purchase limitation, a private sale is specific to firearms defined as “curios or relics“

The statute, as outlined on our website, states the following “To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories: (1) Firearms that were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, which use rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade, but not including replicas thereof; (2) Firearms that are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and (3) Any other firearms that derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collectors' items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.”

Therefore, any handgun not recognized as a curio and relic is subject to the handgun purchase restriction of Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.2:2 whether sold by a licensed dealer or unlicensed person.

I trust this information will be of assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Donna K. Tate, Manager

Firearms Transaction Center

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

Department of State Police | Post Office Box 85608 | Richmond, VA 23285-5608 | Tel: (804) 674-2210 (no voice mail) | Fax: (804) 674-2791
I have replied suggesting that they at least clarify their website to specify that it only applies to modern firearms, as the current wording suggests that it applies to all firearms.

wylde007

Sadly this could open up the can of worms that the Bradies would love to see opened.

How would/could a private citizen selling a firearm F2F with another private citizen know if that person has purchased a handgun within the preceding 30 days? Do we ask?

Excuse me, but have you purchased a handgun in the past 30 days? You have? Oh, well then I cannot sell you this one.

Would an otherwise honest person lie to make the purchase? Could an honest person make the "mistake" and forget to ask?

The singular time I sold a handgun in a private sale I asked to see proof of residency (VA DL) and if the person (a Navy Officer) would be otherwise precluded from owning a firearm.

The singular time I purchased a handgun in a private sale the gentleman who sold it to me asked to see my VA DL.

ALL FIREARMS LAWS ARE UNCONSTITUTIONAL.