• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Being proactive..

DEROS72

First I have so very few negative reactions I don't see the point.I agree emphatically that if you just start shooting off letters to corp offices that the higher ups based as the poster said on egative media bias will start trying to deny us out right to bear arms.Most follow state law.Why stir the pot.That is akin to calling a resturant before a meeting and asking permission to carry in advance.Or announcing to police we'll be somewhere.permission.Really dumb.As for proactive there are countless on this board that have spearheaded that effort .But only with companies that have given us a hard time.If you go into Fred Myers for ex.as I do alot.Why the hell would you want to stir the pot and chase down management to get an ok.If no one says anything leave it alone.

Trigger Dr

I have suggested this a couple times in the past, and had a slightly "warm" reception. We have at least one forum member with bucu experience in video. we have many forum members with digital movie equipment, some high quality, some average quality. We have regular meet ups at various venues, We have at least one forum member who writes as a profession.
With all these resources, why, WHY I ask, can't we cooperatively produce a 30 minute video to be aired on PUBLIC TV? Make copies and present them to LEA that are ignorant or indifferent about OC. There are LEO that would support this approach.
This is the third time I have sggested this. I will help, how about the rest of you "dedicated" oc supporters I am speaking to those that talk the talk but do not walk the walk as well as the active members. Each of you know which group you fit.

Last edited:

Deleted_User

I am a retail store manager (office supplies) and not underpaid per se.... But the least of my worries is educating my staff on a small and fairly remote possibility that a customer comes in with a holstered sidearm. Why would I spend time on a legal item that is so rare? I have HR issues, payroll issues, product issues.... all things that relate directly to my business.

Now with that being said, I personally do inform my staff over time that OC is legal and you may see a customer from time to time with a firearm.

IMHO, that's being proactive! +1

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Perhaps we need to be a little bit more proactive on OCing. What do I mean? As for me I am going to write to the top 15 stores that I spend my money at and ask the corporates official policy on OCing at thier Washington state locations and get it in writing. If they are against Open Carry then I will simply spend my money elsewhere. And if I happened to have a credit card with them I will cancel it credit be dammed. If thier response is positive I will continue to shop at thier establishments, carry a copy of thier email/official policy on my person and ask them to educate management at the divsion and store level. Why do we continue to set up ourselves up for failure? I don't know how many threads I have read about being "asked to cover up" or "kicked out of store x" with an unhealthy dose of indignation and even arrogrance on our part . I dont expect underpaid retail managers to know the finer intricancies of OCing in Washington stores unless WE as an OC community get corporate offices in the mix BEFORE a "confrontation". Will it get down to the lowest echleons all the time? Probably, not but its not because we didn't try. Perhaps the moderator can sticky this and we can start posting the offical policy letters of the corporations that we frequent. My guess is that some of you will revert to CC when a store is anti-OC just because you cant break the habit.

IMO - that brand of "activism" is of the "in your face" brand. Why force any business to make a choice, the results of which we may not like? The aggressive, hard-nosed approach immediately puts people on the defensive and most often gains the wrong type of notoriety. This hardly fits the image of normal people just going about their daily lives.

This approach seems much like demanding that gun buster signs be put up where a private property owner does not favor our position - it is counter-productive.

Lest I be misunderstood, I am not against addressing specific issues when they arise, but I am more for education and demonstrating that people as are found here are not extreme in their attitudes or actions.

This idea is more suitable to the antis style of operation. Let them caste the first stone.

Last edited: