• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop shoots another cop trying to have 'fun'...

chakragod

Aftermath story here.

So basically, this is a story from my city, in which officers were training and on a break. One decided he wanted to feel what it was like to be hit with a Simunitions round. Without even bothering to check, the other officer complies and shoots him in the back with his service pistol. The officer who was shot later died from the injury.

Now the problem I have with this, is that they didn't prosecute him. Let it be known that the shooter is also the son of a well known Sheriff in the city. It raised a lot of hell from local citizens on how our city is being ran and how the local police are 'above the law'. (We have a lot of macho "I'm the LAW" officers in our city that aren't a pleasure to speak with if they think you're up to something or have committed a crime.)

About a month after, another shooting occurs, where a teenager shot and killed another teenager while under the influence, (of marijuana I believe..) accidently, and the DA went after him immediately.

Does anyone else find this repulsive?

Last edited:

MK

First off, I am assuming there are witnesses to this. Otherwise it could definitely be murder. Could you imagine explaining away how you accidentily shot your wife at home with what turned out to be a lethal round?

I wonder if the officer just pulled his weapon out and fired or if they spent a couple minutes talking about it, setting up their position where the recipient of the bullet was ready, waiting and braced for impact? If the latter is what happened, that "victim" should have taken responsibility enough for his own safety to be assured that he wasn't about to fired on by a live and deadly round.

The amount of negligence on the shooter's part should be enough to relieve him of his job I would hope even if it doesn't get him charged with a crime.

As far as comparing it to the teenagers. I wonder if the victim in that case was a willing participant in being shot alike to the incident involving the police officers.

eye95

Rule: Assume all guns are loaded.

Corollary: Assume all guns are loaded with lethal ammo.

The man does not have the mental wherewithal to be trusted with carrying a deadly weapon in the name of the State. He should be removed from the police force.

chakragod

http://www.newspressnow.com/localnews/25733884/detail.html

This one goes into a bit more detail surrounding the shooting. It seems he's still on 'Adminstrative leave' for the time being, and there were witnesses 'in the area'. Who knows if anyone actually saw the shooting occur though...they haven't said anything on the case for a few months since it's still under investigation.

Pretty sad the officer can't be held accountable for his actions, especially when he's trained on proper gun safety...yet a teenager accidently shoots someone with no training, and is immediately charged.

Oh and on another note, there was ANOTHER case where a school bus driver accidently hit and killed a high school student...and she was fired immediately and having charges against her.

palerider116

A great safety practice is to have different weapon systems for LETHAL and NON LETHAL. A weapon used for lethal practice shouldn't have sim rounds loaded into it, and vice versa. It just takes one moment of confusion, lapse in judgment, or flat out stupidity to fire a live round at someone.

Manslaughter would be an appropriate charge.

SavageOne

From my reading of the story, reported in the St. Joe paper, the prosecutor's office has really dropped the ball here. Here is the statue for Involuntary Manslaughter in Mo.

Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 565
Offenses Against the Person
Section 565.024

August 28, 2010

Involuntary manslaughter, penalty.
565.024. 1. A person commits the crime of involuntary manslaughter in the first degree if he or she:

(1) Recklessly causes the death of another person; or

(2) While in an intoxicated condition operates a motor vehicle or vessel in this state and, when so operating, acts with criminal negligence to cause the death of any person; or

(3) While in an intoxicated condition operates a motor vehicle or vessel in this state, and, when so operating, acts with criminal negligence to:

(a) Cause the death of any person not a passenger in the vehicle or vessel operated by the defendant, including the death of an individual that results from the defendant's vehicle leaving a highway, as defined by section 301.010, or the highway's right-of-way; or vessel leaving the water; or

(b) Cause the death of two or more persons; or

(c) Cause the death of any person while he or she has a blood alcohol content of at least eighteen-hundredths of one percent by weight of alcohol in such person's blood; or

(4) Operates a motor vehicle in violation of subsection 2 of section 304.022, and when so operating, acts with criminal negligence to cause the death of any person authorized to operate an emergency vehicle, as defined in section 304.022, while such person is in the performance of official duties;

(5) Operates a vessel in violation of subsections 1 and 2 of section 306.132, and when so operating acts with criminal negligence to cause the death of any person authorized to operate an emergency watercraft, as defined in section 306.132, while such person is in the performance of official duties.

2. Involuntary manslaughter in the first degree under subdivision (1) or (2) of subsection 1 of this section is a class C felony. Involuntary manslaughter in the first degree under subdivision (3) of subsection 1 of this section is a class B felony. A second or subsequent violation of subdivision (3) of subsection 1 of this section is a class A felony. For any violation of subdivision (3) of subsection 1 of this section, the minimum prison term which the defendant must serve shall be eighty-five percent of his or her sentence. Any violation of subdivisions (4) and (5) of subsection 1 of this section is a class B felony.

3. A person commits the crime of involuntary manslaughter in the second degree if he acts with criminal negligence to cause the death of any person.

4. Involuntary manslaughter in the second degree is a class D felony

I would say a trial would be needed to decide whether it was involuntary manslaughter in the first or second degree, but that the Prosecutor refused to file any charges is a travesty

Last edited:

bvhawk

A great safety practice is to have different weapon systems for LETHAL and NON LETHAL. A weapon used for lethal practice shouldn't have sim rounds loaded into it, and vice versa. It just takes one moment of confusion, lapse in judgment, or flat out stupidity to fire a live round at someone.

Manslaughter would be an appropriate charge.

A sane person would think with the realistic look and weight of most airsoft guns, I don't understand why more police forces aren't utilizing these types of non-lethal "training aids".

Kirbinator

Wouldn't take much effort to build up a plastic gun with a weight in it and a realistic trigger group... If the manufacturers were smart, they'd be licensing designs and selling trigger groups to smaller outfits to make training guns...

zack991

Rule: Assume all guns are loaded.

Corollary: Assume all guns are loaded with lethal ammo.

The man does not have the mental wherewithal to be trusted with carrying a deadly weapon in the name of the State. He should be removed from the police force.

This, sadly though he is protected and the citizens there will be lucky if anything is done.

palerider116

Glock already makes training weapons, and the parts to outfit the Glock for firing sim rounds. The chamber is specifically designed to receive a sim round.

REALteach4u

The original story was a couple of months back. It sickens me that if it were Joe Public that we'd be imprisoned for involuntary manslaughter, but that a LEO can get off scott-free on a "horseplay" shooting that kills another LEO.

They have just set a precedence that you cannot be charged with involuntary manslaughter for what these investigators claim was an "accidental shooting". Folks, accidental shootings DO NOT occur! They are negligent discharges or an act occuring from some other form of negligence.

Shooter64738

My department used those Glock airsoft weapons... pretty cool too!

We use something similar. They look like a Glock, smell like a Glock, feel like a Glock, shoot like a Glock, but they aren't real Glocks. For price and safety it's hard to beat some of the newer air-soft training aids.

Since this incident we no longer allow actual firearms at the range during any training that involves shooting at live 'targets'

since9

Campaign Veteran
About a month after, another shooting occurs, where a teenager shot and killed another teenager while under the influence, (of marijuana I believe..) accidently, and the DA went after him immediately.

Does anyone else find this repulsive?

Given that "Buchanan County Prosecutor Dwight K. Scroggins announced Friday the investigation revealed Mr. De Kraai’s death was accidental," yes, I do find this repulsive.