• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brush with Wentzville's finest (no big deal)

Superlite27

I walked into the Home Depot in Wentzville yesterday, and noticed two uniformed Wentzville cops at the service desk. They were obviously there for a reason other than myself as I had just arrived. I was in the store for about 15 minutes as I just stopped in for a couple of 1 x 12's, some castors, and a set of hinges. As I walked to checkout, I had to pass the service desk (strong side view) in order to reach the loading zone checkout. As I passed I hear "Hey!", and when I look over, one of the officers is making the "Come here" sign with his hand.

I considered saying, "No thanks! I don't require any assistance." but I figured I'd keep things amiable, so I left my cart (turning on my recorder) and approached the officers.

Officer: "What's the deal with the gun?"

Me: "I carry it for self defense."

Officer: (sneering) "Hmmph!"

They then were evidently unconcerned enough to turn their backs on me and return their attention to the service desk, so I went back to my cart and checked out without a hitch.

I was just surprised at the evident contempt I received when I told them I was carrying for my own defense. Like the civilian use of a firarm was some kind of inside joke among cops.

chakragod

Probably another "He probably can't hit the broad side of a barn." believer. Like when reports come out of LEO's firing 13 shots and only 2-3 hit at close range...lol.

sohighlyunlikely

I was just surprised at the evident contempt I received when I told them I was carrying for my own defense. Like the civilian use of a firearm was some kind of inside joke among cops.

They probably look at Open Carry the way the checkers look at the automatic check out lanes in Home Depot. They know it means you are less reliant on their services.

Doc

afcarry

They shouldn't take it as a slap to the face so much though. Cops are really heavy, and we cant carry them. Plus, they will be the first to tell you they cant to everything and be everywhere. In fact, I remember a couple of instances where our government explicitly said that it is a "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." Thats pretty awesome.

cash50

Gotta love the super sensitive cop...I bet they go out to see chick flicks together, share a soda, cuddle, you know.

cshoff

Just remember, folks, that not all cops are jerks. In fact, the majority of them that I've come across have been good folks. Sure, you'll get a few bad apples in any group.

As to the implications here that they are poorly trained buffoons, that can't hit the broad side of a barn; well perhaps there are some. There are also a lot of them that are very well trained and very well practiced.