Thread: New Here with questions.

New Here with questions.

Been kinda lurking unregistered for about a week. My question is I live right on the border of AZ and CA in Blythe CA. I have family that live on both sides of the line. Im 20 years old(21 Jan 23) and my gun is registered in CA. What can and cant I do if I want to carry it while im visiting fam on the AZ side of the line?
    Last edited by TopSnake; 12-28-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TopSnake View Post
    Been kinda lurking unregistered for about a week. My question is I live right on the border of AZ and CA in Blythe CA. I have family that live on both sides of the line. Im 20 years old(21 Jan 23) and my gun is registered in CA. What can and cant I do if I want to carry it while im visiting fam on the AZ side of the line?
    At 18 years old (and under 21) anyone legally able to own a gun is able to open carry a gun in AZ. Open Carry means just that--OPENLY. A pistol should be holstered and apparent to casual observation that a firearm is being worn. Do not cover it with your shirt, do not cover it with your jacket. You may carry (and should carry) a LOADED pistol, with 'one in the chamber'.

Keep your gun out of places that serve alcohol for 'on premise' consumption (bars & restaraunts) [allowed only when concealed, with a CWP, and not posted as forbidden by the establishment]. Stay out of hydro electric plants, nuclear plants, voting stations, and off school grounds (no GFSZ in AZ).

While driving, the weapon must either be holstered, in plain sight, in a glove box/center console box, map pocket, or 'luggage'.

Quote Originally Posted by AZkopper View Post
    At 18 years old (and under 21) anyone legally able to own a gun is able to open carry a gun in AZ. Open Carry means just that--OPENLY. A pistol should be holstered and apparent to casual observation that a firearm is being worn. Do not cover it with your shirt, do not cover it with your jacket. You may carry (and should carry) a LOADED pistol, with 'one in the chamber'.

Keep your gun out of places that serve alcohol for 'on premise' consumption (bars & restaraunts) [allowed only when concealed, with a CWP, and not posted as forbidden by the establishment]. Stay out of hydro electric plants, nuclear plants, voting stations, and off school grounds (no GFSZ in AZ).

While driving, the weapon must either be holstered, in plain sight, in a glove box/center console box, map pocket, or 'luggage'.
    Thank you very much for your help. Does it matter at all if the gun is registered in CA?

Quote Originally Posted by TopSnake View Post
    Thank you very much for your help. Does it matter at all if the gun is registered in CA?
    Not in the slightest.

Registration doesn't exist in AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by JesseL View Post
    Not in the slightest.

Registration doesn't exist in AZ.
    Awesome, I swear CA is a communist state.

The Peoples Republic of California as we escapes like to call it.
    Came out here to live permanently a few years back and never
    looked back.

Welcome to the forum and the Free Republic of Arizona!
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

Welcome and good on ya for exercising your rights. You will find that a lot of the "conditioning" that gun owners in CA receive simply doesn't exist in AZ. We have no registration, no permit-to-acquire, no waiting period, no idiotic restrictions on "unloaded open carry".

AZKopper's advice is tip-top, stick with that and you will be A-OK. If you truly live that close might I suggest finding a place over in the free state to reside

Once you turn 21 you can legally carry your pistol 'discreetly' (aka concealed, but that term implies you have something to hide) except prohibited or posted places, notably, restaurants that serve alchohol (you must have an AZ CCW permit for this). You can also get an AZ CCW permit if you'd like; the state does not distinguish between resident and non-resident; the only requirement is that the training must take place within Arizona.
    Last edited by mFonz77; 12-30-2010 at 11:11 AM.
    My location says I am from Sierra Vista, AZ which is where I live now but I actually lived in MO for 26 years! So please stop telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I post in the Missouri forum!

tanks

wow this was just the answer i was looking for! i will be 21 soon (late jan) but wanted to know the laws of me carrying my XD 45 around befor my b-day.

(i know this post is an old one but it still answers my question)
    Last edited by ashton.45; 01-09-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ashton.45 View Post
    wow this was just the answer i was looking for! i will be 21 soon (late jan) but wanted to know the laws of me carrying my XD 45 around befor my b-day.

Welcome aboard OCDO Ashton - lots of good people and information here.
    A quick check can always be made via our map site:
    http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html

AZKopper's response above is direct, to the point also.

Suggest you try to take in some local meet-n-greets to get to know some of the people personally and consider getting involved with Arizona Citizens Defense League (http://www.azcdl.org/ Learn the laws of your state well - there is no substitute for 1st hand knowledge. Be responsible and be safe.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by ashton.45 View Post

new law allows for concealed carry too, no permit required. I think though you can only go into a restaurant that serves alcohol if you do have a permit, not sure if that includes open carry.