Thread: New Here with questions.

New Here with questions.

Been kinda lurking unregistered for about a week. My question is im 20 years old(21 Jan 23) and my gun is registered in CA via intrafamilial transfer (thanks to lurking these forums). What can and cant I do if I want to carry it while im on the CA side of the line? I also have a valid CA BSIS Firearm Permit to carry fully loaded in the open when im on duty as an armed security guard or en route to and from work.
    Last edited by TopSnake; 12-28-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TopSnake View Post
    Been kinda lurking unregistered for about a week. My question is im 20 years old(21 Jan 23) and my gun is registered in CA via intrafamilial transfer (thanks to lurking these forums). What can and cant I do if I want to carry it while im on the CA side of the line? I also have a valid CA BSIS Firearm Permit to carry fully loaded in the open when im on duty as an armed security guard or en route to and from work.
    What can you do? Study more. Many of us have already put forth that effort so that we already know what is and isnt okay to do in California.

I would also caution you about open carry outside of the course of your employment, as doing so, may jeopardize your BSIS firearm endorsement. Certainly under no circumstances are you to present it to law enforcement unless you are actually uniformed and on duty.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    What can you do? Study more. Many of us have already put forth that effort so that we already know what is and isnt okay to do in California.

I would also caution you about open carry outside of the course of your employment, as doing so, may jeopardize your BSIS firearm endorsement. Certainly under no circumstances are you to present it to law enforcement unless you are actually uniformed and on duty.
    Sounds good its just the research Ive dont has been kind of contradicting. Cant seem to find a solid answer for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    C3, I'm curious about your cautionary statement against a BSIS permit holder not OCing? I think we have several active armed guard UOCers here on the forum.

I completely agree that the BSIS information should absolutely never be put on the table unless actually on the job.

In January LAPD asked if I had a guard card/exposed firearms permit. I said "no." At the time my application was still being processed. Currently I sterile carry so I don't even have my wallet with me at all. If I am asked if I have a guard card/exposed firearms permit in the future I will simply decline to answer. Mjones and C3 are correct. Off duty Guards do not have to identify themselves as such.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.