• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Here with questions.

TopSnake

Been kinda lurking unregistered for about a week. My question is im 20 years old(21 Jan 23) and my gun is registered in CA via intrafamilial transfer (thanks to lurking these forums). What can and cant I do if I want to carry it while im on the CA side of the line? I also have a valid CA BSIS Firearm Permit to carry fully loaded in the open when im on duty as an armed security guard or en route to and from work.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Been kinda lurking unregistered for about a week. My question is im 20 years old(21 Jan 23) and my gun is registered in CA via intrafamilial transfer (thanks to lurking these forums). What can and cant I do if I want to carry it while im on the CA side of the line? I also have a valid CA BSIS Firearm Permit to carry fully loaded in the open when im on duty as an armed security guard or en route to and from work.

What can you do? Study more. Many of us have already put forth that effort so that we already know what is and isnt okay to do in California.

I would also caution you about open carry outside of the course of your employment, as doing so, may jeopardize your BSIS firearm endorsement. Certainly under no circumstances are you to present it to law enforcement unless you are actually uniformed and on duty.

TopSnake

What can you do? Study more. Many of us have already put forth that effort so that we already know what is and isnt okay to do in California.

I would also caution you about open carry outside of the course of your employment, as doing so, may jeopardize your BSIS firearm endorsement. Certainly under no circumstances are you to present it to law enforcement unless you are actually uniformed and on duty.

Sounds good its just the research Ive dont has been kind of contradicting. Cant seem to find a solid answer for anything.

mjones

C3, I'm curious about your cautionary statement against a BSIS permit holder not OCing? I think we have several active armed guard UOCers here on the forum.

I completely agree that the BSIS information should absolutely never be put on the table unless actually on the job.

chewy352

In January LAPD asked if I had a guard card/exposed firearms permit. I said "no." At the time my application was still being processed. Currently I sterile carry so I don't even have my wallet with me at all. If I am asked if I have a guard card/exposed firearms permit in the future I will simply decline to answer. Mjones and C3 are correct. Off duty Guards do not have to identify themselves as such.