• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got a new pistol...Don't think I'll OC it though...

TechnoWeenie

OK, so I built it... :D

7.62x39 AR pistol. All polymer lower, TRX Extreme rail, 7.5" barrel, etc etc.

I was able to shave a pound off of the weight just by going with the TRX rail and the polymer lower... Lightweight was what I was going for and I nailed it.

ar762p1.jpg

ar762p2.jpg

ar762p5.jpg

ar762p6.jpg

ar762p8.jpg

ar762p7.jpg

Having some issues with light primer strikes, but that's normal with 7.62x39 builds and Wolf ammo. Soviet ammo tends to have really hard primers.. An upgraded hammer spring should solve that...

IanB

Under ATF and WA rules/law it is indeed a pistol, and 'registered' as such (State transfer form)

Bravo. I was about to point out that a lower can be either a pistol OR rifle, but NOT both at the same time. If you convert a rifle AR to pistol, that is now a SBR, not a pistol. Looks like you did this the right way if it was orig registered as a pistol.

TechnoWeenie

Bravo. I was about to point out that a lower can be either a pistol OR rifle, but NOT both at the same time. If you convert a rifle AR to pistol, that is now a SBR, not a pistol. Looks like you did this the right way if it was orig registered as a pistol.

There is no 'registration' for the ATF... only thing they're concerned with is whats it's made into.

Lower can't ever have been 'made' as a rifle, Ie have an upper affixed to it with a buttstock.

A receiver is a receiver is a receiver until the barrel has been placed on it and is actionable as a _________ (rifle, AOW, pistol, SBR/SBS,etc)

amlevin

T-weenie

Why didn't you make it a "folder" like this:

images

(when opened it looks like this)

images

Since this is built on a Glock FA chassis, I wonder if they will ever market one in SA?

" It is also small enough even to fit in the back pocket of most everyday pants."

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Are you an FFL Manufacturer or just someone that made their own handgun?

Built my own.

AR's are simple. The receiver is the firearm and is the only thing requiring a NICS check. All the other parts are ordered like any other item. Just gotta make sure not to assemble it in an illegal configuration (SBR,AOW,etc)

massivedesign

T-weenie

Why didn't you make it a "folder" like this:

images

(when opened it looks like this)

images

Since this is built on a Glock FA chassis, I wonder if they will ever market one in SA?

" It is also small enough even to fit in the back pocket of most everyday pants."

Because with a rear butt stock, it is no longer a Pistol, but now a SBR, which is illegal in WA.

amlevin

Because with a rear butt stock, it is no longer a Pistol, but now a SBR, which is illegal in WA.

That leaves 49 other states, many of which it is not.

Since my first post on this I discovered that it was built off a Glock 17 "platform". Wonder if one could merely get the remaining parts as a "kit", of course for those states where they are more "progressive" as to SBR's.

Last edited:

slowfiveoh

Let me iterate 2 things:

#1. NICE PISTOL!

7.62x39, especially out of a short barrel, makes for a decent self-defense round. It has better cavitation (energy transfer) than 9mm FMJ, or .38spc, when striking flesh.

#2. I wish people would stop exaggerating the ballistic capabilities of 7.62x39mm & 5.56( or .223) when it comes to a defense round. Both are actually markedly better than most pistol rounds for stopping an assailant, while having less clean penetration (again, better kinetic transfer) than others.

The AR as a pistol is nothing worth getting all worked up over.

Ok wait wait, it IS, but not for the reasons as Amlevin stated. ;)

amlevin

Let me iterate 2 things:

#1. NICE PISTOL!

7.62x39, especially out of a short barrel, makes for a decent self-defense round. It has better cavitation (energy transfer) than 9mm FMJ, or .38spc, when striking flesh.

#2. I wish people would stop exaggerating the ballistic capabilities of 7.62x39mm & 5.56( or .223) when it comes to a defense round. Both are actually markedly better than most pistol rounds for stopping an assailant, while having less clean penetration (again, better kinetic transfer) than others.

The AR as a pistol is nothing worth getting all worked up over.

Ok wait wait, it IS, but not for the reasons as Amlevin stated. ;)

Actually, the "Spitzer" bullet does penetrate better than Round Nosed or HP bullets. A .223 round, even from a barrel less than half the length of a rifle, can penetrate soft body armor. Not if also equipped with a plate. Also can be more effective against a "target" inside a vehicle. Given the choice I would just as soon carry a pistol and have my "Carbine" readily available, either in house or vehicle.

TechnoWeenie

Actually, the "Spitzer" bullet does penetrate better than Round Nosed or HP bullets. A .223 round, even from a barrel less than half the length of a rifle, can penetrate soft body armor. Not if also equipped with a plate. Also can be more effective against a "target" inside a vehicle. Given the choice I would just as soon carry a pistol and have my "Carbine" readily available, either in house or vehicle.

I can have this legally loaded in my car, and can legally conceal it. Not the same for your carbine.

It is also super lightweight.

Metalhead47

why 7.62 in an AR platform tho? Just for the satisfaction of building it yourself?

Can't fault the caliber choice tho, I'm itching to get a small family of 7.62 AK pistols myself, one to keep in each vehicle. Just can't get past the AR pistol's "junk inna trunk" look.

Beretta92FSLady

I have been thinking about picking up an AK pistol.

Question:

I plan on putting a quad-rail on it. I know that I can not have a fore-end grip attached to the pistol, but can I have it packed in the same case as the pistol? The pistola is legal as long as I do not attach a stock or fore-end grip, right?

Thank you. Oh, sweet AR!

TechnoWeenie

why 7.62 in an AR platform tho? Just for the satisfaction of building it yourself?

Can't fault the caliber choice tho, I'm itching to get a small family of 7.62 AK pistols myself, one to keep in each vehicle. Just can't get past the AR pistol's "junk inna trunk" look.

5.56 in a pistol has crappy ballistics. I can load 154 gr soft points instead of 55gr FMJ and about double the energy put on target.

7.62x39mm%20Wolf%20154gr%20Soft%20point%20block.JPG

The 154gr sp is a beast of a round... Perfect for the short range I intend to use it @.

It's super cheap to buy, and will defeat cover easily.

I plan on putting a quad-rail on it. I know that I can not have a fore-end grip attached to the pistol, but can I have it packed in the same case as the pistol? The pistola is legal as long as I do not attach a stock or fore-end grip, right?

No. Constructive possession applies. Same reason I can't have a buttstock laying around without a rifle upper and lower to go with it, as I'd have the parts to make an unregistered SBR. You'd have the parts to make an unregistered AOW.

Metalhead47

I have been thinking about picking up an AK pistol.

Question:

Thank you. Oh, sweet AR!

Now that you mention it... (to anyone who can answer), like the lady's question about the fore-grip, what if one had the provision to quickly mount a stock to such a pistol, but no stock was "ever" mounted?

Metalhead47

5.56 in a pistol has crappy ballistics. I can load 154 gr soft points instead of 55gr FMJ and about double the energy put on target.

The 154gr sp is a beast of a round... Perfect for the short range I intend to use it @.

It's super cheap to buy, and will defeat cover easily.

No. Constructive possession applies. Same reason I can't have a buttstock laying around without a rifle upper and lower to go with it, as I'd have the parts to make an unregistered SBR. You'd have the parts to make an unregistered AOW.

You've got to be kidding. :banghead: They can actually bust you based on something you might do with the items at hand???
:cuss::cuss::cuss:

So what if you just have a great big mishmosh of all sorts of parts lying on your workbench?