• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got a new pistol...Don't think I'll OC it though...

Beretta92FSLady

No. Constructive possession applies. Same reason I can't have a buttstock laying around without a rifle upper and lower to go with it, as I'd have the parts to make an unregistered SBR. You'd have the parts to make an unregistered AOW.

Hmmm, what if the grip is attached to an AK rifle, and the rifle and pistol are kept in the same case?

These types of things are confusing. So, if you have a loose stock sitting around in your house when you have a AR pistol, you could be charged with a crime?

I am not trying to be difficult. It just appears to be unclear what they require.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
BATFE's "constructive possession" doctrine is just like telling a guy that because he has all his "MAN" parts that he is a rapist because HE MIGHT DO IT or that a Woman is a prostitute because she might "sell" some.

It is a pretend crime of MAYBE! Might as well be "MINORITY REPORT"--- you know, the movie!

All the more reason to have the BATFE defunded and DIS-ORGANIZED as the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Federal agency that it is!

Last edited:

Metalhead47

BATFE's "constructive possession" doctrine is just like telling a guy that because he has all his "MAN" parts that he is a rapist because HE MIGHT DO IT or that a Woman is a prostitute because she might "sell" some.

It is a pretend crime of MAYBE! Might as well be "MINORITY REPORT"--- you know, the movie!

All the more reason to have the BATFE defunded and DIS-ORGANIZED as the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Federal agency that it is!

^ ^ ^ ^

what he said.

Of course, then there's WA stupid "no loaded rifles in a vehicle" which is what makes these lil "not-rifles" so appealing, at least to me. I'd much rather have an underfolder AK in the back of the truck, even with a standard 16" barrel, but don't want to go hunting around for the magazine that will inevitably work its way to the opposite corner of the rig.

TechnoWeenie

Now that you mention it... (to anyone who can answer), like the lady's question about the fore-grip, what if one had the provision to quickly mount a stock to such a pistol, but no stock was "ever" mounted?

Again, no. The mere fact that it's easily capable of being added makes it a no-no.

BUT... the advantage of the AR platform is the modularity..

One can swap the lowers in about 10 seconds (not even exaggerating). Going from a pistol lower to a lower with a stock would take about 10 seconds, but would also comprise a violation of state and federal law if the barrel was less than 16"...

In a WROL situation, the BATFE is the last thing to worry about.

TechnoWeenie

You've got to be kidding. :banghead: They can actually bust you based on something you might do with the items at hand???
:cuss::cuss::cuss:

So what if you just have a great big mishmosh of all sorts of parts lying on your workbench?

As long as they are spare parts THAT CAN BE CONFIGURED IN A LEGAL MANNER, then you're good.

BUT, let's say that all you have is rifle lowers with buttstocks, but you have a 'spare' barrel that's less than 16", you're now in constructive possession of an unregistered SBR because you have the parts to make it...

There was a guy who had just that, spare parts laying around from misc guns he had owned, one happened to be a short barrel. He had sold the lower but still had the barrel, he was convicted of possessing an unregistered SBR because he could have put them in an illegal configuration, even though he never did.

TechnoWeenie

Hmmm, what if the grip is attached to an AK rifle, and the rifle and pistol are kept in the same case?

Then you're good, but attaching the grip to the pistol would be a crime.

These types of things are confusing. So, if you have a loose stock sitting around in your house when you have a AR pistol, you could be charged with a crime?

If I do not own a rifle, I can NOT have a loose stock floating around the house. If I had a rifle I can have spare parts, as the parts have a legal purpose (being, spare parts for the rifle).

I am not trying to be difficult. It just appears to be unclear what they require.

It's utter BS and completely arbitrary... heh.

Metalhead47

As long as they are spare parts THAT CAN BE CONFIGURED IN A LEGAL MANNER, then you're good.

BUT, let's say that all you have is rifle lowers with buttstocks, but you have a 'spare' barrel that's less than 16", you're now in constructive possession of an unregistered SBR because you have the parts to make it...

There was a guy who had just that, spare parts laying around from misc guns he had owned, one happened to be a short barrel. He had sold the lower but still had the barrel, he was convicted of possessing an unregistered SBR because he could have put them in an illegal configuration, even though he never did.

facepalm_implied.jpg

END_THE_FED

(underline added)

Unclear? How so? all federal laws, rules and regulations are very clear, straight forward, and written so the average person can read and understand them.
LOL

Last edited:

amlevin

^ ^ ^ ^

what he said.

Of course, then there's WA stupid "no loaded rifles in a vehicle" which is what makes these lil "not-rifles" so appealing, at least to me. I'd much rather have an underfolder AK in the back of the truck, even with a standard 16" barrel, but don't want to go hunting around for the magazine that will inevitably work its way to the opposite corner of the rig.

Not all that sure what the big "downside" is regarding an "unloaded" AR in a vehicle. An AR carried unloaded, meaning no magazine inserted or round chambered, doesn't take any appreciable time to load. I carry mine with bolt locked back and a fully loaded mag (or 10) very handy. A good mag carrier keeps them from "hiding" under the "Big Mac wrappers" and empty french fry boxes on the floor. In the time it takes to pick up the carbine I am also able to load a mag and release the bolt and bring it to bear on a target. If you practice it a couple of times there is not much difference in loaded or unloaded which makes the State law effectively useless. Should it ever occur that I need to fight, using my carbine, I don't intend to do so from inside my vehicle.

AR or AK "pistols" are OK for those that like them. Just not my choice.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

(underline added)

Unclear? How so? all federal laws, rules and regulations are very clear, straight forward, and written so the average person can read and understand them.
LOL

:lol: I think the intent of regulations, laws, rules, whatever you want to call them, the intent is to deter, and always have the person who is forced to follow said rules to always be in a gray area where they could be charged with a crime, if the government wishes to do so.

slowfiveoh

Actually, the "Spitzer" bullet does penetrate better than Round Nosed or HP bullets. A .223 round, even from a barrel less than half the length of a rifle, can penetrate soft body armor. Not if also equipped with a plate. Also can be more effective against a "target" inside a vehicle. Given the choice I would just as soon carry a pistol and have my "Carbine" readily available, either in house or vehicle.

Compare apples to apples.

FMJ pistol rounds are readily available that will do the same. The comparo in this particular case is moot.

5.7 as a pistol round is an example of a stellar AP round.

You should compare wound cavitation and exit ballistics of .38spc, 9mm, and 5.56, all in ball.

TechnoWeenie

I have a rifle and a hack saw together in the same room. So, does that make me in "constructive possession" of an SBR?

The ATF did say that a shoestring was a machine gun, as wrapping it around the trigger mechanism can cause the trigger to auto reset and fire....

A dealer then registered a shoe string as a 'dealer sample' just to F with them, and they allowed it. Years later they issued a letter saying a string was NOT a machine gun.

END_THE_FED

The ATF did say that a shoestring was a machine gun, as wrapping it around the trigger mechanism can cause the trigger to auto reset and fire....

A dealer then registered a shoe string as a 'dealer sample' just to F with them, and they allowed it. Years later they issued a letter saying a string was NOT a machine gun.

That is Awesome!

amlevin

Yes, please do. If true then anyone wearing boots while carrying a semi-auto where they claim this can be done could become a "felon".

Pardon me for thinking this might be "one of those stories" that gets passed around enough it becomes "fact".

skiingislife725

Techno, where did you find your 7.62x39 barrel? When I built my AR pistol last year, it looked like it was going to be too hard to find so I decided to stick with 5.56.