Thread: Biggest gun rights stories of 2010

Biggest gun rights stories of 2010

"..The biggest constitutional civil rights story of 2010, maybe of the decade, was based right here in Bellevue, yet as the on-line Seattle Post-Intelligencer is currently beginning its “Top Stories” reviews, should we expect to see a single word about the Second Amendment Foundation’s landmark gun rights victory before the U.S. Supreme Court? Don’t hold your breath...
    "... Like it or not, 2010 was a pretty good year in Washington State for gun rights. But SAF’s big win before the Supreme Court that extended Second Amendment protections to state and local governments will be felt for a very long time..."

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...by-local-press

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2aerjof

Thumbs up Wow - nicely put!

It's amazing that all these events happened this year! So many - nice breakdown of each one.

Good article - thanks for putting it together!

This is why I prefer to read Dave's column's. As for the PI, my dog won't even do his "business" on the PI. Quit buying it long before they went "Online".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Busy year

Thanks Dave for keeping us informed of these things. With four kids and full time work I am too busy to spend too much time hunting this info up. Have a great OC/CC New Year!
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

Freedom First 1775

"I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

Great summary Dave, thanks!

Good article, Dave. Jim Beal a 'grandfatherly figure' is kinda hard to take. HOWEVER, I do agree that Jim is a good spoksman for 'the cause'. This last year was an example of what a person can do if they set their mind to it. Yes, there are others, but you'll have to agree that Jim has the nack as a spokesman.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
    Good article, Dave. Jim Beal a 'grandfatherly figure' is kinda hard to take. HOWEVER, I do agree that Jim is a good spoksman for 'the cause'. This last year was an example of what a person can do if they set their mind to it. Yes, there are others, but you'll have to agree that Jim has the nack as a spokesman.
    And the hair!

And it's all do to my DEROs survival kit.....All one needs when the SHTF.And I guess I'm grandfatherly :0) . Thanks Dave for the kind words. We all as a team made a difference .When you sum it like that it puts in to perspective all that has been accomplised.So we'll need to be ready for their 2011 onslaught because as we all know they will repackage all their lame arguments and made up stats and try again..I'm ready.
    Last edited by DEROS72; 01-03-2011 at 01:53 AM.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deros72 View Post
    and it's all do to my deros survival kit...[photo]
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by DEROS72 View Post
    And it's all do to my DEROs survival kit.....All one needs when the SHTF.And I guess I'm grandfatherly :0) . Thanks Dave for the kind words.
    You know his hair is healthy when its breaking tines in the combs.

Where is the blow-dryer and its holster? Is that another kit?
    Last edited by FMCDH; 01-03-2011 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    You know his hair is healthy when its breaking tines in the combs.

Where is the blow-dryer and its holster? Is that another kit?
    I'd like to know if any of the "products" in the kit are also suitable for cleaning/lubing guns?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Well ,the hair gel works pretty good.......

As does the eye shadow!

Quote Originally Posted by DEROS72 View Post
    And it's all do to my DEROs survival kit.....All one needs when the SHTF.And I guess I'm grandfatherly :0) . Thanks Dave for the kind words. We all as a team made a difference .When you sum it like that it puts in to perspective all that has been accomplised.So we'll need to be ready for their 2011 onslaught because as we all know they will repackage all their lame arguments and made up stats and try again..I'm ready.
    Yes they will! They are so ridiculous at throwing out the same lame arguments!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
    As does the eye shadow!
    Only Squeak would know this!
    Live Free or Die!

From the article:

BELLINGHAM COPS PAY: An open carry activist in Bellingham scored a coup late in the year when that city’s police paid him $1,500 and agreed to train their officers on the legality of open carry following an incident about two years ago.

Primarily thanks to the efforts of activist Gray Peterson – who also happens to be one of the plaintiffs in the Seattle parks gun ban case – Evergreen State police agencies are pretty much on board with open carry, and it is the subject of many department-issued training bulletins. Peterson has, for years, done his homework on the issue, and his all-volunteer labors have paid off, with some disappointing exceptions in Vancouver and Spanaway (discussed here), but Peterson is not about to throw in any towels.

END

While I think it's great that this matter made the top-five list, I am confused why the credit seems to be given to Gray Peterson. Gray is a tremendous resource, but he was not the individual who threatened to drag Bellingham into federal court over Rob Stratton's courageous stance. That was attorney J. Andrew Lauer aka olypendrew.

I'm not in this for the money, or the fame, but rather because I am a true believer in the cause. Having said that, if credit is going to be given for the victory in Bellingham, it should be given to Rob Stratton, first, and to me, second. The fact that neither of us were mentioned, but Gray was, seems like a deliberate snub.

I am aware that the people directly involved can be determined by following the link, but many more people will read the article and be left with the impression that Gray deserves all the credit than will follow the link and uncover the actual facts.

Quote Originally Posted by olypendrew View Post

I am aware that the people directly involved can be determined by following the link, but many more people will read the article and be left with the impression that Gray deserves all the credit than will follow the link and uncover the actual facts.
    While I can see and agree with your point, I think Dave may have made the unconscious error of being a writer who is too familiar with his own audience to the extent of assuming that most people who would read that article, also already knew the key players in that particular case.

I believe he may have only mentioned Gray's influence as a continuation of the many cases and other things Gray has been involved in to further OC.

I for one knew exactly who was primarily responsible for the success of Rob's challenge, Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    While I can see and agree with your point, I think Dave may have made the unconscious error of being a writer who is too familiar with his own audience to the extent of assuming that most people who would read that article, also already knew the key players in that particular case.

I believe he may have only mentioned Gray's influence as a continuation of the many cases and other things Gray has been involved in to further OC.

I for one knew exactly who was primarily responsible for the success of Rob's challenge, Rob!
    As do I. I would like to think that it was merely an oversight rather than a purposeful snub. Perhaps Dave can chime in here and clarify.

Wasn't an intended snub at all.

And besides...I could have given all the credit to Beal's hair.
    Last edited by Dave Workman; 01-07-2011 at 01:22 PM.