• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Posting of signs - Could you be prosecuted for sticking a sign to the door?

MSC 45ACP

Could you be prosecuted for sticking a sign to the door of a business if it does no damage to the door?
Has anyone posted a "defense free criminal zone" sign on the door of a business that doesn't allow firearms?
It might be fun to do, but I wonder about the ramifications of such an action. Of course Ed's postcards are much nicer, but is this a possible alternative to sending a postcard?

CHILINVLN

If someone applied a sticker at random to my door/window at a business, I would be more pissed off than anything, and would not even give a sh*t about their cause. I would view it as solicitation.

I don't think that's a good strategy at all.

TFred

Could you be prosecuted for sticking a sign to the door of a business if it does no damage to the door?
Has anyone posted a "defense free criminal zone" sign on the door of a business that doesn't allow firearms?
It might be fun to do, but I wonder about the ramifications of such an action. Of course Ed's postcards are much nicer, but is this a possible alternative to sending a postcard?
I don't know the answer to your question, but your wording is a little "clunky."

I'd say something more along the lines of "Unarmed Victim Zone"... or maybe "Guaranteed Victims Inside"... Or you could be more direct... "We have no guns... Come on in and ROB US!!"

:)

TFred

ETA: But of course, CHILIN is right... you aren't going to win any friends doing this...

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

I've actually made a sign in MSWord but can't post it here because I'm computer-stupid and can't upload it. It has a ghostbusters symbol in the corner with the words "No Weapons Allowed" in large red letters followed by "ATTENTION CRIMINALS This is a defense free crime zone All law-abiding patrons of this establishment have been disarmed for your convenience".

It is in landscape format on a plain sheet of printer paper. I thought about putting pieces of double-stick scotch tape in each corner and stealthily leaning against the glass door of a place that doesn't allow firearms.

No damage to a glass door and it is easily removable.

Dreamer

Posting signs on private property can lead to a whole litany of charges...

Trespassing.
Vandalism.
Malicious destruction of property.
Communicating Threats.
Hate Crime.
Violation of "post no bills" codes.
Violation of anti-graffiti codes.

It ultimately depends on how creative the local DA is, how much of an a-hole the property owner wants to be, and whether they actually can prove that YOU did it. And it doesn't matter if the property is physically damaged or not. The "violation" is a "private property crime" and all the offended party has to do to show "injury" is that you did something to his property that left it in a condition other than would normally be expected by routine interaction with the public.

All that said, "flyposting" is an age-old practice, and has been used for centuries to influence public sentiment, educate people, and fight against tyranny.

Just don't get caught, don't take pictures or video of yourself, and don't tell anyone you're going to do it beforehand...

At least that's what I've heard. I can neither confirm or deny that I have ANY firsthand knowledge of the tactics, techniques, or operations of flyposting, or other forms of clandestine posting of bills, flyers, or posters...

Last edited:

HeroHog

Bad Bad bad idea. Would set us back at best. Make whoever put it there a criminal AND make us look very bad at the worst.

Kevin108

Sneaking around in private businesses sticking up tongue-in-cheek stuff you printed out doesn't help us at all. You shouldn't do anything to try to further our cause that you can't do openly and proudly.

Last edited:

palerider116

Its a matter of respect, and despite their contrary views and policies, I wouldn't tack anything to anyone's door or place of business.

They can make their policies, and they can lose out on the money. With the economy as it is, 2A friendly places will appreciate the extra revenue.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

ocholsteroc

That's littering, its just like seeing the walmart stickers on the floor on the ground. Come to think of it, my walmart does not have those stickers.
If you saw a no smoking sign, and stuck a cig or cig package to it, it would be littering.

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

I seem to recall charges

A legal term of "Criminal Mischief" comes to mind. A rather nebulous "catch-all" that would apply rather well to such an endeavor. Bad form in general, and much worse for the movement when you get caught by the ubiquitous survelance cameras. But it does sound like fun.

TFred

Thinking about this a little more... you could get at least a portion of your desired effect by just making up the nice sign and mailing it to the business owner with a letter saying something like, "why beat around the bush, just let them know the facts, here's your sign..."

Ha ha, well, you wouldn't really want to say "here's your sign" because of the connection to Bill Engvall, but... for what it's worth... that does make your point.

TFred

MSC 45ACP

Here's your sign....

Even better than taping it to someone's door. Be nice and upfront about it as suggested... I'll just give it to them!

I may even see if there are any frames at the $1 store and put it in one of those. Heheheheh... More than one way to skin that critter!

Attachments

• 1 ATTENTION CRIMINALS.pdf
    79.1 KB · Views: 133

Slidell Jim

*SNIP*

At least that's what I've heard. I can neither confirm or deny that I have ANY firsthand knowledge of the tactics, techniques, or operations of flyposting, or other forms of clandestine posting of bills, flyers, or posters...

LOL Dreamer, good job

user

Accomplished Advocate

agree. That's considered "destruction of private property", a class one misdemeanor (12 mo's. in jail + $2500 fine and costs). "Vandalism" in the vernacular. The key factor is that it is not a matter of whether the "damage" could be removed without injury to the underlying structure - the fact that some "repair" is required is the proof that the sticker is "damage". And there is no minimum or floor level of "destruction" that is allowed under the statute.