• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Posting of signs - Could you be prosecuted for sticking a sign to the door?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
agree. That's considered "destruction of private property", a class one misdemeanor (12 mo's. in jail + $2500 fine and costs). "Vandalism" in the vernacular. The key factor is that it is not a matter of whether the "damage" could be removed without injury to the underlying structure - the fact that some "repair" is required is the proof that the sticker is "damage". And there is no minimum or floor level of "destruction" that is allowed under the statute.

+1

Defacing another's property, even if temporary, is not good.

UglyGun

Even better than taping it to someone's door. Be nice and upfront about it as suggested... I'll just give it to them!

I may even see if there are any frames at the $1 store and put it in one of those. Heheheheh... More than one way to skin that critter!

If I may make a suggestion.

Perhaps the back of the sign can be used to provide a more in depth explanation and documentation of why gun free zones do not work as well as why similar signs should never be posted.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Perhaps the back of the sign can be used to provide a more in depth explanation and documentation of why gun free zones do not work as well as why similar signs should never be posted.

That is a completely intelligent, lucid and rational idea.

It will never fly, as long as Saturday Night Live continues to provide us with comedy fodder.

MSC 45ACP

Great idea, Folks. I can present them as "gifts" to businesses like Buffalo Wild Wings and other "Anti" establishments in the area. Amplifying info on the back would be a good idea. I was thinking about some famous quotes and some ACCURATE statistics. Any suggestions?

Sabotage70

I've actually made a sign in MSWord but can't post it here because I'm computer-stupid and can't upload it. It has a ghostbusters symbol in the corner with the words "No Weapons Allowed" in large red letters followed by "ATTENTION CRIMINALS This is a defense free crime zone All law-abiding patrons of this establishment have been disarmed for your convenience".

It is in landscape format on a plain sheet of printer paper. I thought about putting pieces of double-stick scotch tape in each corner and stealthily leaning against the glass door of a place that doesn't allow firearms.

No damage to a glass door and it is easily removable.

I've seen something along those lines posted before. Of course I had to right click save.

GunFreeZone.jpg

Hef

Could you be prosecuted for sticking a sign to the door of a business if it does no damage to the door?
Has anyone posted a "defense free criminal zone" sign on the door of a business that doesn't allow firearms?
It might be fun to do, but I wonder about the ramifications of such an action. Of course Ed's postcards are much nicer, but is this a possible alternative to sending a postcard?

It's vandalism, so yes.

MSC 45ACP

Yep... that looks like the one I saw and then shamelessly copied from what I remembered. I had printed one I found on the internet, but it came out really fuzzy. Not good enough quality to give to someone, so I re-printed it.

Thank you to whomever is responsible for the original artwork.