• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2011 Gun Legislation Thread - What do you want to see happen?

mFonz77

I know Fred and AZCDL members are active here, and appreciate feedback from gun owners around the state.

So - what kinds of pro-rights legislation would you like to see happen?

I'll start:

I'd like to see the 18-21 age difference for OC and discrete carry be equalized to 18 across the board. If an 18-year-old can legally sign a contract that may involve his own death for his country, I see no reason not to allow him to carry a concealed handgun.

Wishful thinking: I'd like to see NV recognize AZ's CCW permit :)

rickc1962

I know Fred and AZCDL members are active here, and appreciate feedback from gun owners around the state.

So - what kinds of pro-rights legislation would you like to see happen?

I'll start:

I'd like to see the 18-21 age difference for OC and discrete carry be equalized to 18 across the board. If an 18-year-old can legally sign a contract that may involve his own death for his country, I see no reason not to allow him to carry a concealed handgun.

Wishful thinking: I'd like to see NV recognize AZ's CCW permit :)

I would like see open restaurant and bar carry without a permission slip from the state, I would also like to see the prohibition on government buildings, ie. post offices, schools, courthouses, DMVs, police departments, sheriff offices, ect...ect... when it comes to open carry end.

Last edited:

azcdlfred

FYI - I'm not ignoring this thread. I've had visitors for the last few days and they left a little while ago. I'm plowing through hudreds of emails and have a backlog of AzCDL work. In essence - I'm swamped. I'll continue to monitor this thread and when time permits, toss in my two cents.

Happy New Year!
Fred

Carlos 10mm

I would like see open restaurant and bar carry without a permission slip from the state, I would also like to see the prohibition on government buildings, ie. post offices, schools, courthouses, DMVs, police departments, sheriff offices, ect...ect... when it comes to open carry end.

+1.

Also it looks like city parks in Phoenix (both the ones near me do) still have signs up requiring CCW for carry in the parks. Open and discreet carry should both be allowed without a CCW.

azcdlfred

Also it looks like city parks in Phoenix (both the ones near me do) still have signs up requiring CCW for carry in the parks. Open and discreet carry should both be allowed without a CCW.
Quickly jumping in - We (AzCDL) fixed that last year with the preemption bill. The signs don't belong. Please send me an email at treasurer@azcdl.org with the specifics.

Happy New Year!
Fred

ericf

Victim Disarmament on Commercial Property

Commercial property rights are not absolute. For example, current law prohibits a business owner from refusing to serve or employ a citizen of a given ethnic background, because to do so would violate that citizen's civil rights. However, the same business owner may now legally refuse to serve or employ a citizen exercising her inalienable right to self-defense. Should an inalienable right not be granted, at a minimum, equal protection to a civil right?

Arizona State Law should prohibit commercial property owners from placing any restriction on possession of tools of self-defense by customers or employees.

If we can not achieve this now, perhaps we can make incremental progress. We could make businesses which have received any taxpayer subsidy for construction or operation the focus of our next legislative effort, for example.

Thank you for the interesting thead, mFonz77.

Last edited:

rickc1962

Commercial property rights are not absolute. For example, current law prohibits a business owner from refusing to serve or employ a citizen of a given ethnic background, because to do so would violate that citizen's civil rights. However, the same business owner may now legally refuse to serve or employ a citizen exercising her inalienable right to self-defense. Should an inalienable right not be granted, at a minimum, equal protection to a civil right?

Arizona State Law should prohibit commercial property owners from placing any restriction on possession of tools of self-defense by customers or employees.

If we can not achieve this now, perhaps we can make incremental progress. We could make businesses which have received any taxpayer subsidy for construction or operation the focus of our next legislative effort, for example.

Thank you for the interesting thead, mFonz77.

I have said this before, thinks ericf for bringing this up again. Businesses do not have absolute rights, local, state and federal governments all have a say, zoning, health, employment, thay can not stop a black man, a women waring a head scarf, a jew, or a baptist from shopping our eating, the state governments do not alow a restaunt to say "hay go a head, lite up after you eat", if kitchens are not to code thay will be shut down, if I wanted to build a building ( even know it would employ a 100 people) and I did not have a ramp for the handycaped, thay would not sale me a permit. So businesses can be told what thay can and can`t do, why should it be any different for people that exercise there God given rights protected by the Constitution, ie. the 2nd Amendment

azcdlfred

Thanks for all the suggestions! As an FYI, we (AzCDL) have been working on "suggested language" for legislation since the last session ended, and our full-time lobbyists (the Prez & VP) have been meeting with legislators to get them onboard for months.

We had a few issues we wanted to focus on, but last time I checked, it's morphed into about a dozen bills. Some are small, some are big and some are duplicates. We expect to see some consolidation.

This session, look for bills dealing with Campus Carry (approached from various perspectives), the "no firearms" issue in Public (i.e., government) buildings, self-defense and right to carry. Sorry, I can't give you any specifics at this time. At this point in the process, we play our hand close to the vest until bills are actually filed. No need to give the anti-rights folks advanced warning.

There are tons of changes we want to see made, but we deal in reality and exploit opportunities when the timing is right. The idea of Constitutional Carry made legislators very nervous for many years, then we saw an opening and went for the gold and made history. Now other states are following Arizona's lead.

The best way to see things move faster is to be a part of the process. AzCDL is approaching 4,000 members. For those of you here who are AzCDL members - THANK YOU! If you are not an AzCDL member, join us and help make a difference.

Happy New Year!
Fred

Last edited:

Carlos 10mm

Thanks for all the suggestions! As an FYI, we (AzCDL) have been working on "suggested language" for legislation since the last session ended, and our full-time lobbyists (the Prez & VP) have been meeting with legislators to get them onboard for months.

We had a few issues we wanted to focus on, but last time I checked, it's morphed into about a dozen bills. Some are small, some are big and some are duplicates. We expect to see some consolidation.

This session, look for bills dealing with Campus Carry (approached from various perspectives), the "no firearms" issue in Public (i.e., government) buildings, self-defense and right to carry. Sorry, I can't give you any specifics at this time. At this point in the process, we play our hand close to the vest until bills are actually filed. No need to give the anti-rights folks advanced warning.

There are tons of changes we want to see made, but we deal in reality and exploit opportunities when the timing is right. The idea of Constitutional Carry made legislators very nervous for many years, then we saw an opening and went for the gold and made history. Now other states are following Arizona's lead.

The best way to see things move faster is to be a part of the process. AzCDL is approaching 4,000 members. For those of you here who are AzCDL members - THANK YOU! If you are not an AzCDL member, join us and help make a difference.

Happy New Year!
Fred

I joined yesterday. Keep up the good work!

Carlos 10mm

Thanks Carlos! I printed it out this morning and added it to the stack. Turnaround time is about 2-4 weeks normally, but with the holidays and out of town vistors, I am WAY behind.

Fred

Not a problem. I just emailed you images of those A.R.S. 13.3112 signs in Phoenix parks in my neighborhood.

AZkopper

Before anyone jumps down my throat, understand I am an 'incrementalist". What I want to see in legislation this year does not necessarily mean this is my final answer on the matter. Just because I want to see College Carry with a CWP, does not mean I don't support unlicensed carry or open carry on campuses. I am looking at what could fly first at this time.

1. College Carry with CWP.

2. k-12 carry with CWP, or at least remove the 'unloaded' language from vehicle k-12 storage.

3. Remove CWP and conceal requirements for restaraunt/bar carry.

4. Concealed Carry at 18 (ie: true Constitutional Carry)

rickc1962

Before anyone jumps down my throat, understand I am an 'incrementalist". What I want to see in legislation this year does not necessarily mean this is my final answer on the matter. Just because I want to see College Carry with a CWP, does not mean I don't support unlicensed carry or open carry on campuses. I am looking at what could fly first at this time.

1. College Carry with CWP.

2. k-12 carry with CWP, or at least remove the 'unloaded' language from vehicle k-12 storage.

3. Remove CWP and conceal requirements for restaraunt/bar carry.

4. Concealed Carry at 18 (ie: true Constitutional Carry)

I for one think this would be a good start and could live with this for the time been,

Sonora Rebel

I would like to see OC in restaurants/bars for the primary reason of having to leave my gun (unattended) in my vehicle. The safest place for my gun is on me. Several states have effected such legislation w/o any significant problems that I'm aware of. As for CWP... who's to know you're carrying while consuming alcohol? OK... it's illegal but it's done. It's commonly done. Why? 'Cause people don't want to leave their guns in the vehicles and possibly targeted when leaving a bar in certain places.

Last edited:

Thoreau

I had thought so, but the signs are still up. I'll email you photos as soon as I can get a chance to snap a pic in daylight. Thanks!

Just sent an email off to CDL on this one with the contacts I've had so far on this issue with the cities of Scottsdale and Phoenix.

This subject, getting the new law to actually be enforced at the signage level, is definitely a matter I'd love to see addressed. Even if it's just to put pressure on the powers that be.