Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 123

Thread: Silver Eagle Group has lost my business forever!!!

  1. #1
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Angry Silver Eagle Group has lost my business forever!!!

    Tonight I took my date out to Silver Eagle Group in Loudoun to do some pistol shooting. She likes shooting so I figured that it would be a nice surprise. We walk in the door and begin to sign the forms to shoot since I had a gift certificate. The lady asked if we were both 21 and I said that I was and my date was 20. She then informs me that my date can NOT SHOOT but can only watch me shoot. I asked her why this was and she told me that it was a national law. WTH!? I told her that anyone can own a handgun at 18 years old in Virginia more or less shoot it. Then she told me that they couldn't give her a gun was the explanation. I said that that was fine because I had plenty of handguns with me. I then asked for the manager whom told me that it was policy and that she would not be able to shoot. I told them that they had lost my business and walked out. My date was disappointed and I was fuming. I wanted to post this to let others know that SEG is a POS and I will never be going back. They have lost my business and I will no longer recommend them to others but steer others away from them.

    Thanks for reading and maybe some day they will change their stupid policy!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970
    Wow, that sucks. I'm sorry they ruined your date.

    I've never been there, and I never plan on going there. $25 per hour? Screw that, I'll pay $14 an hour to shoot at the NRA in Fairfax.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    I know of that rule at SEG.. I believe it is their insurance requirement that does that. SEG has come a long way from the opening days and as you can see, still has some room to change. I shoot there because it is nice and convenient for me.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  4. #4
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694
    If it's their policy, fine, they should say so, but not make up crap like, " it's national law". Does this mean they won't let your kids shoot with you?
    Last edited by zoom6zoom; 12-30-2010 at 11:47 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Never Never Land
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    Wow, that sucks. I'm sorry they ruined your date.

    I've never been there, and I never plan on going there. $25 per hour? Screw that, I'll pay $14 an hour to shoot at the NRA in Fairfax.
    $14 a hour to shoot thats insane. I will stick to my $5-$10 a day range for me and my guest.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806
    Pfft, there's two public access ranges about 45 minutes from where I live, thank you very much.

    You crazy kids and your pay ranges.

    I'd rather go out and enjoy the weather. Yes, even this time of year.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    VaBch
    Posts
    44

    SEG Range Rules:

    28.Shooters under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian and cannot be on a lane by themselves.
    29.Shooters under the age of 13 must be assisted at all times by a parent or legal guardian.


    Lots of young Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airman station in that area...

  8. #8
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    28.Shooters under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian and cannot be on a lane by themselves.
    29.Shooters under the age of 13 must be assisted at all times by a parent or legal guardian.


    Lots of young Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airman station in that area...
    Wow, Have they ever been to a gun store? you only have to BE 18 to buy a rifle..... I went to the shooting range two months ago by myself, ALL by myself. NO PROBLEMS. Took 3 rifles and my handgun.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Wow, Have they ever been to a gun store? you only have to BE 18 to buy a rifle..... I went to the shooting range two months ago by myself, ALL by myself. NO PROBLEMS. Took 3 rifles and my handgun.
    "Most" don't SHOOT at a gun store and they have different insurance requirements.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Also.. I believe your parent or guardian (if yer between 18-21) can sign the insurance paperwork to allow you to shoot by yourself if you are 18 or overn but that has to be done ahead of time.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    28.Shooters under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian and cannot be on a lane by themselves.
    29.Shooters under the age of 13 must be assisted at all times by a parent or legal guardian.


    Lots of young Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airman station in that area...
    I just checked.. and the rule applies to them too.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by xdm guy View Post
    I will stick to my $5-$10 a day range for me and my guest.
    In Northern Virginia?
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    If it's their policy, fine, they should say so, but not make up crap like, " it's national law". Does this mean they won't let your kids shoot with you?
    They mis-spoke.. I have already corrected them on that. Brooke shoots there all the time.

    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Never Never Land
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    In Northern Virginia?
    No in southern VA.

  15. #15
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    They probably made it a policy due to insurance reasons.. Business have to be insured too yanno..

    Otherwise.. That does suck.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ashburn, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5
    As always, thanks for the support Ed. As a public range Silver Eagle Group follows the policy that all shooters under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. I'm sorry your date did not go as planned CRF250rider1000, but as a business our policies are in place to protect us and ensure we are not in violation of our insurance agreement or any federal, state or local regulations. I have made every effort to have our age restriction posted not only in our range rules located around the facility and in the new shooter documents, but it is also on the website. Again, I'm sorry we are unable to make an exception for your date, but if there is anything I can do to bring you back to facility just let me know.

  17. #17
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by MDukes View Post
    As always, thanks for the support Ed. As a public range Silver Eagle Group follows the policy that all shooters under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. I'm sorry your date did not go as planned CRF250rider1000, but as a business our policies are in place to protect us and ensure we are not in violation of our insurance agreement or any federal, state or local regulations. I have made every effort to have our age restriction posted not only in our range rules located around the facility and in the new shooter documents, but it is also on the website. Again, I'm sorry we are unable to make an exception for your date, but if there is anything I can do to bring you back to facility just let me know.
    The insurance is understandable but telling people it's because of a Federal law is not.

    Why not just read the law and admit it's because of our insurance?

    Not that I care mind you, you couldn't get me up north with a team of horses and I have a gorgeous shooting club that I pay $50.00 a year to, with unlimited range time. I can also shoot in my back, side, front yard and all points around.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, La
    Posts
    175

    some what if's ?

    So 18-20 year old people ARE allowed if their parent or guardian is present?

    What if this 20 year old was a serviceman or woman (what if I were in uniform?), just home from Iraq for the holidays, and wanted to get some range time? Would his division commander from the 101st have to come down and claim guardianship?

    What if at 18- 20 years old the person has no parents alive? or was emancipated at a young age (many children are getting this done at age 14-17)? Is this person just "out of luck"?

    What if his 20 year old "date" had been his wife instead? could he have claimed "guardianship" over her? or would the mother-in-law still have to come down to the range to sign off?


    For myself:
    At 18 years old I was off to boot camp, and never needed my parents to grant me permission for anything else in my life. I was issued an assault rifle and a handgun after boot camp in the first 3 months of being in the service! I was 18 years, 6 months old. At 18 years old I could sign a binding contract to be in the service, fight (or DIE) for your freedoms, get married, make babies, buy a house, rent a hotel, lease a car, make medical decisions for myself (and my new family), I can legally own, carry, and fire a handgun and/or rifle (government issued BTW!); all of these things with out my parents permission, but I can not shoot at the range with out my parent or guardian present???

  19. #19
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384
    Also walked out of the same place for the same reason (well almost, it wasn't a date) this last Summer. Never shooting in NoVA again if I can help it. Then again, I'm never going back to NoVA if I can help it.
    Last edited by t33j; 12-31-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  20. #20
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by xdm guy View Post
    No in southern VA.
    Then the point is moot to me
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Slidell Jim View Post
    So 18-20 year old people ARE allowed if their parent or guardian is present?

    What if this 20 year old was a serviceman or woman (what if I were in uniform?), just home from Iraq for the holidays, and wanted to get some range time? Would his division commander from the 101st have to come down and claim guardianship?

    What if at 18- 20 years old the person has no parents alive? or was emancipated at a young age (many children are getting this done at age 14-17)? Is this person just "out of luck"?

    What if his 20 year old "date" had been his wife instead? could he have claimed "guardianship" over her? or would the mother-in-law still have to come down to the range to sign off?


    For myself:
    At 18 years old I was off to boot camp, and never needed my parents to grant me permission for anything else in my life. I was issued an assault rifle and a handgun after boot camp in the first 3 months of being in the service! I was 18 years, 6 months old. At 18 years old I could sign a binding contract to be in the service, fight (or DIE) for your freedoms, get married, make babies, buy a house, rent a hotel, lease a car, make medical decisions for myself (and my new family), I can legally own, carry, and fire a handgun and/or rifle (government issued BTW!); all of these things with out my parents permission, but I can not shoot at the range with out my parent or guardian present???
    A 18 year old guy just comes back from IRAQ and says "I just got back from serving our contry and protecting YOUR freedoms.. May I please order a run n' coke. Is he served the drink? Even though he just got back from fighting for our country? Get your parents or guardian to fill out the paperwork so you can shoot and then it's on file... then the problem is solved.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    the same place for the same reason
    Took a friends kid there without knowledge of the policy. Had to get the forms signed and came back another day.. no big deal.. now I know better
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  23. #23
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Then the point is moot to me
    Then I guess all NOVA matters should be moot to the rest of Va. Ed (actually, I agree to a point. I've been in favor of giving it to Mary Land for years).

    XD was just saying the fees were outrageous, and they are.

    XD was overstating what he pays anyway. The fees he pays for the rifle range are two dollars a day I think...and he has a pistol range, 25 station skeet range, archery range and a clubhouse at his disposal.

  24. #24
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    A 18 year old guy just comes back from IRAQ and says "I just got back from serving our contry and protecting YOUR freedoms.. May I please order a run n' coke. Is he served the drink? Even though he just got back from fighting for our country? Get your parents or guardian to fill out the paperwork so you can shoot and then it's on file... then the problem is solved.
    Not quite the same. Your example is of illegal behavior while the circumstance in question deals with a policy.
    Last edited by t33j; 12-31-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  25. #25
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Then I guess all NOVA matters should be moot to the rest of Va. Ed (actually, I agree to a point. I've been in favor of giving it to Mary Land for years).

    XD was just saying the fees were outrageous, and they are.

    XD was overstating what he pays anyway. The fees he pays for the rifle range are two dollars a day I think...and he has a pistol range, 25 station skeet range, archery range and a clubhouse at his disposal.
    I pay $35 per month for UNLIMITED shooting at SEG and it isd 7 miles from my house. To ME that's not outrageous. I only meant his point is MOOT to me if he (or anyone) wants me to drive for an HOUR each way to go shoot at some range for $10.00 instead of some beautiful 22 million dollar facility.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •