• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silver Eagle Group has lost my business forever!!!

CRF250rider1000

Tonight I took my date out to Silver Eagle Group in Loudoun to do some pistol shooting. She likes shooting so I figured that it would be a nice surprise. We walk in the door and begin to sign the forms to shoot since I had a gift certificate. The lady asked if we were both 21 and I said that I was and my date was 20. She then informs me that my date can NOT SHOOT but can only watch me shoot. I asked her why this was and she told me that it was a national law. WTH!? I told her that anyone can own a handgun at 18 years old in Virginia more or less shoot it. Then she told me that they couldn't give her a gun was the explanation. I said that that was fine because I had plenty of handguns with me. I then asked for the manager whom told me that it was policy and that she would not be able to shoot. I told them that they had lost my business and walked out. My date was disappointed and I was fuming. I wanted to post this to let others know that SEG is a POS and I will never be going back. They have lost my business and I will no longer recommend them to others but steer others away from them.

Thanks for reading and maybe some day they will change their stupid policy!

hunter45

Wow, that sucks. I'm sorry they ruined your date.

I've never been there, and I never plan on going there. $25 per hour? Screw that, I'll pay $14 an hour to shoot at the NRA in Fairfax.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I know of that rule at SEG.. I believe it is their insurance requirement that does that. SEG has come a long way from the opening days and as you can see, still has some room to change. I shoot there because it is nice and convenient for me.

zoom6zoom

If it's their policy, fine, they should say so, but not make up crap like, " it's national law". Does this mean they won't let your kids shoot with you?

Last edited:

AbNo

Pfft, there's two public access ranges about 45 minutes from where I live, thank you very much.

You crazy kids and your pay ranges.

I'd rather go out and enjoy the weather. Yes, even this time of year. ;)

Table

SEG Range Rules:

28.Shooters under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian and cannot be on a lane by themselves.
29.Shooters under the age of 13 must be assisted at all times by a parent or legal guardian.

Lots of young Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airman station in that area...

ocholsteroc

28.Shooters under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian and cannot be on a lane by themselves.
29.Shooters under the age of 13 must be assisted at all times by a parent or legal guardian.

Wow, Have they ever been to a gun store? you only have to BE 18 to buy a rifle..... I went to the shooting range two months ago by myself, ALL by myself. NO PROBLEMS. Took 3 rifles and my handgun.

ed

I just checked.. and the rule applies to them too.

ed

If it's their policy, fine, they should say so, but not make up crap like, " it's national law". Does this mean they won't let your kids shoot with you?
They mis-spoke.. I have already corrected them on that. Brooke shoots there all the time.
[video=youtube;oi5w0xZI07c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi5w0xZI07c[/video]
[video=youtube;UtrsA11hHB4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtrsA11hHB4[/video]

VW_Factor

They probably made it a policy due to insurance reasons.. Business have to be insured too yanno..

Otherwise.. That does suck. :(

MDukes

As always, thanks for the support Ed. As a public range Silver Eagle Group follows the policy that all shooters under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. I'm sorry your date did not go as planned CRF250rider1000, but as a business our policies are in place to protect us and ensure we are not in violation of our insurance agreement or any federal, state or local regulations. I have made every effort to have our age restriction posted not only in our range rules located around the facility and in the new shooter documents, but it is also on the website. Again, I'm sorry we are unable to make an exception for your date, but if there is anything I can do to bring you back to facility just let me know.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As always, thanks for the support Ed. As a public range Silver Eagle Group follows the policy that all shooters under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. I'm sorry your date did not go as planned CRF250rider1000, but as a business our policies are in place to protect us and ensure we are not in violation of our insurance agreement or any federal, state or local regulations. I have made every effort to have our age restriction posted not only in our range rules located around the facility and in the new shooter documents, but it is also on the website. Again, I'm sorry we are unable to make an exception for your date, but if there is anything I can do to bring you back to facility just let me know.

The insurance is understandable but telling people it's because of a Federal law is not.

Why not just read the law and admit it's because of our insurance?

Not that I care mind you, you couldn't get me up north with a team of horses and I have a gorgeous shooting club that I pay $50.00 a year to, with unlimited range time. I can also shoot in my back, side, front yard and all points around.

Slidell Jim

some what if's ?

So 18-20 year old people ARE allowed if their parent or guardian is present?

What if this 20 year old was a serviceman or woman (what if I were in uniform?), just home from Iraq for the holidays, and wanted to get some range time? Would his division commander from the 101st have to come down and claim guardianship?

What if at 18- 20 years old the person has no parents alive? or was emancipated at a young age (many children are getting this done at age 14-17)? Is this person just "out of luck"?

What if his 20 year old "date" had been his wife instead? could he have claimed "guardianship" over her? or would the mother-in-law still have to come down to the range to sign off?

For myself:
At 18 years old I was off to boot camp, and never needed my parents to grant me permission for anything else in my life. I was issued an assault rifle and a handgun after boot camp in the first 3 months of being in the service! I was 18 years, 6 months old. At 18 years old I could sign a binding contract to be in the service, fight (or DIE) for your freedoms, get married, make babies, buy a house, rent a hotel, lease a car, make medical decisions for myself (and my new family), I can legally own, carry, and fire a handgun and/or rifle (government issued BTW!); all of these things with out my parents permission, but I can not shoot at the range with out my parent or guardian present???

t33j

Also walked out of the same place for the same reason (well almost, it wasn't a date) this last Summer. Never shooting in NoVA again if I can help it. Then again, I'm never going back to NoVA if I can help it.

Last edited: