• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tallahassee Democrat - Open carry bill "passage is all but assured"

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...ckin-Floridians-are-about-to-get-another-shot

Now, 23 years later, the National Rifle Association wants to undo it. And why not, with the stated support of incoming Gov. Rick Scott and huge GOP majorities in both the House and Senate? Florida is one of seven states with a full ban on open-carry. There are slim exceptions — gun owners can carry holstered weapons on their own land or while traveling to and from fishing and hunting.
State Sen. Greg Evers, a Republican from Baker, has introduced a bill to allow Florida pistol owners to carry their guns openly. The proposal also changes existing law to allow licensed owners to carry concealed guns on college campuses and at private schools.

. . .

OpenCarry.org is a national advocacy group. Its members in Florida have an online petition — "It is an old right, not a new threat" — with 2,227 signatories. They hold regular meetups to openly carry guns. The next one is Jan. 8 in seven cities around the state. Online instructions include directions on getting a free fishing license and bringing along rods and reels to meet the exceptions allowing open-carry while on the way to angling.

Evers' bill is coming and its passage is all but assured. It's right out there in the open, and you know it's loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:

paknon2wheels

Looks like they require log in to read the article. :banghead:

Anyway, it sounds like progress is being made in Florida. Thanks for all the work you guys are doing to keep things moving down there.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I picked out two serious problems with it.

1) Elimination of 4th amendment, License and ID on demand.
2) No more private transfers, NICS required for all sales.

Last edited:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
I picked out two serious problems with it.

1) Elimination of 4th amendment, License and ID on demand.
2) No more private transfers, NICS required for all sales.

1. All or nothing, absolutist hysteria. Sorry, this is real life where things usually must be done one step at a time. Legalize, normalize, and then deregulate.

2. Absolutely false. :cuss:

I'm done feeding the trolls. :banghead:

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
1. All or nothing, absolutist hysteria. Sorry, this is real life where things usually must be done one step at a time. Legalize, normalize, and then deregulate.

2. Absolutely false. :cuss:

I'm done feeding the trolls. :banghead:

No trolling about it, I can read... That's what it says.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
2 only applies to out of state transfers at gun dealers. Federal law dictates that for private transfers, both parties be residents of the same state.

Sonora Rebel

I resided in central and northern FL from '60 to '64 and again in '68/69. People carried guns. I dunno legally or illegally but it was done. I remember the 'shall issue' permit thing in '87, which surprised me 'cause I never thought there was a problem with it. It was just 'a right'. What happened?

Rich7553

can you reference where you saw the requirement to show i.d. on demand from law enforcement.thank you!

I can answer that one. SB 234 would authorize CWFL holders to carry openly at their option. §790.06 (1) states, "The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer."

Although the statute specifically says "in possession of a concealed weapon or firearm", it is resonable to believe that this would extend to any firearm carried under the provision.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
I can answer that one. SB 234 would authorize CWFL holders to carry openly at their option. §790.06 (1) states, "The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer."

Although the statute specifically says "in possession of a concealed weapon or firearm", it is resonable to believe that this would extend to any firearm carried under the provision.

No, it wouldn't.

Florida v. J.L.

Delaware v. Prouse

C

coolfrmn

Two thumbs up for Florida!!!:cool: Lots of hard work starting to bare fruit. Hopefully the momentum will travel up to GA, SC.