• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LOC is actually LEGAL!

DooFster

First of all, I'm on vacation here in MI visiting family for the holidays, and I recently spoke with a Sergeant at the MSP post in Lakeview, and he told me that we ARE allowed to LOC (with one in the chamber optional) because there's no specific law stating we CAN'T do it and there's no specific law saying we CAN do it. The only drawback though......we can't drive LOC/UOC - the vehicle you're driving in makes the gun "concealed" (even though you can see it through the windows). You have to drive with it in the trunk, locked up in a case...

This might be brought up in another thread, and for that I do apologize, but I figured you all should know...

sprinklerguy28

Being from California I am sure loaded open carry(LOC) is very very new to you. Here in Michigan its common knowledge plus most who open carry also have a concealed pistol license. This allows us to get in our vehicles with a loaded pistol. Also if you are OCing while in Michigan I would encourage you to read MCL 750.235d.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ci...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-234d

Keep in mind Sec 1(h) refers to any place that is licensed to sell alcohol, bars, grocery stores, gas stations, etc.

Unless of course you are one of the few from Cali who has a concealed carry permit. IF so the above law does not apply

wrightme

First of all, I'm on vacation here in MI visiting family for the holidays, and I recently spoke with a Sergeant at the MSP post in Lakeview, and he told me that we ARE allowed to LOC (with one in the chamber optional) because there's no specific law stating we CAN'T do it and there's no specific law saying we CAN do it. The only drawback though......we can't drive LOC/UOC - the vehicle you're driving in makes the gun "concealed" (even though you can see it through the windows). You have to drive with it in the trunk, locked up in a case...

This might be brought up in another thread, and for that I do apologize, but I figured you all should know...
Don't get legal advice from LE.
http://www.opencarry.org/mi.html

kryptonian

just wondering how doofster found this website entirely devoted to OC (LOC) and past hundreds of OC posts to ask us if we knew anything about it

B

Bikenut

HOLLY **** REALLY?
LOADED OPEN CARRY IS LEGAL IN MICHIGAN
Why don't we have a group dedicated to it!??!?!?!!

just wondering how doofster found this website entirely devoted to OC (LOC) and past hundreds of OC posts to ask us if we knew anything about it

I wonder if there are any friendly people in Michigan? Some of the posts make a person wonder..................

AFPVet

I agree... don't get legal advice from law enforcement—some officers are themselves ignorant of the law... which is why we have 'refresher courses' lol. Now if the officer can point to the code in the training book or code book, then that's a different story. Get legal advice from an attorney. In fact, the prosecutor will be glad to tell you what is legal and not—for free!

B

Bikenut

Do you have any male friends?

Have you never busted your buddy's balls over something he said?

Not directed at you personally Dougwg... but I believe this needs to be said.

As with everything there is a time and a place... and, although this is just my opinion, an internet forum open to the world and closely watched by LE and other agencies/councils/organizations doesn't seem to be the place for "busting your buddy's balls" since not everyone is in on what is essentially a private joke.

Whether folks care or not..... this forum presents an image to the world, LE and all those other agencies/councils/organizations. An image that could represent knowledge, responsibility, and maturity... or it could present the image of a bunch of goof offs "busting their buddy's balls".

And I'll go further... I am becoming increasingly annoyed with all the pissy negative comments and the personal feuds/insults being aired within what is supposed to be a media dedicated to OC. Got negative comments or insults for one individual? Take it to PM and hash it out in private because seeing that crap here is the same as listening to the neighbor couple arguing and trading insults... they both come out sounding like idiots.

Onnie

Not directed at you personally Dougwg... but I believe this needs to be said.

As with everything there is a time and a place... and, although this is just my opinion, an internet forum open to the world and closely watched by LE and other agencies/councils/organizations doesn't seem to be the place for "busting your buddy's balls" since not everyone is in on what is essentially a private joke.

Whether folks care or not..... this forum presents an image to the world, LE and all those other agencies/councils/organizations. An image that could represent knowledge, responsibility, and maturity... or it could present the image of a bunch of goof offs "busting their buddy's balls".

And I'll go further... I am becoming increasingly annoyed with all the pissy negative comments and the personal feuds/insults being aired within what is supposed to be a media dedicated to OC. Got negative comments or insults for one individual? Take it to PM and hash it out in private because seeing that crap here is the same as listening to the neighbor couple arguing and trading insults... they both come out sounding like idiots.

I also agree, that was one of my major concerns when I joined MOC, prior to my becoming a member, I read too many posts that blasted others that were in to open for anyone with a computer to read.

All groups have members who do not agree and insult each other. But we must show cohesion with each other here since so much of our views are made public. To belittle each other from one post to another just give credence to the theory of those who do not support some or all aspects of the 2nd amendment, that Open Carry should be illegal because to them it give the impression that we can not get alone with each other on a simple forum,so how can we expect them to believe we can get along with each other in public when armed

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
yes, but the nuance of his verbage in the california post meant that he specifically intended his post there for california and his post here for us in michigan.
go read it.

"What are the options of bringing this up to the state? Has it been brought up to the state before?"

he added things to his california post not included in michigan
his pronoun usage is also a clue as to his intended audience
also, in the michigan forum he titles his post LOC is legal, in the california post he titles it LOC is legal in Michigan
he clearly knows where his is posting

Last edited:

DooFster

Yeah, I am a little new to the whole scene, but am also HIGHLY trained in how to carry and/or not carry a gun (hence being AD USAF). I posted in the CA forum because I noticed that in CA they can ONLY carry unloaded with mags separate, and getting a CCW is VERY VERY hard to get by kicking, screaming, and a little bit of "X-Rated" activities...

I do highly apologize for making this a big scene - I just wanted to pass on some info I happened to come across... and yes, I USED to live here in Michigan for 20 years, so I have been around the blocks a few times...