View Poll Results: Are Thumb Breaks on holsters neccessary?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Thumb Breaks are the Cats Meow!

    4 26.67%
  • No! Thumb Breaks are for sissies!

    9 60.00%
  • Whatcha talkin' about...my thumb ain't broken!

    2 13.33%
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Holster Preferences, particularly for the 1911 platform.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    34

    Holster Preferences, particularly for the 1911 platform.

    No...this is DEFINITELY NOT a *who do you think makes the best blahblahblah holster*...

    Its a question on *preference* of a particular *feature* that seems to be in demand and/or gaining popularity, and I'm curious as to why...

    Thumb breaks holsters, be it a IWB or OWB holster, whilst carrying a 1911.

    With the safety features of a 1911 (thumb switch must be off and grip safety must be depressed before the gun will fire...) I'm curious as to why people seem to want thumb breaks. Even if carrying in Condition 1, the gun is really quite safe, won't discharge if dropped (unless you've done alot of "COUGH" *custom* "COUGH" trigger work with a Dremel on your own) and a well-made holster will provide the proper retention via friction for an OWB holster, and a thumb break on a IWB seems redundant if the reason is to prevent a gun grab, because, when properly concealed, no-one is supposed to be able to tell that there is a gun under your shirt to grab.

    I personally can't see a reason for a thumb break on a IWB as its yet another step in drawing the weapon that you need to be mindful of, and you've already got enough to worry about in getting your cover garment cleared so that you can draw if, God forbid, its a life-or-death situation. Why add a thumb break to the list of possible snag points?

    On a OWB, I can understand the reasoning for a bit more safety from a gun grab, especially when the firearm is being OC'd. Then again, you can carry OWB with a cover garment, and if properly concealed, the chances of a gun-grab are practically nil, because if a perp can't *see* it, how does he know to *grab* it?

    So...do you prefer thumb breaks on your 1911 rigs, either IWB or OWB, and why?

    This question is for CIVILIAN CARRY, not LEO, not Security Guard, not Prison Guard, etc...

    The question is for the typical man-on-the-street civilian exercising his 2A rights.
    Last edited by DragonLW; 12-31-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Clarification

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wayne County, MI.
    Posts
    271
    I answered NO based on this question being for CC only.

  3. #3
    Regular Member OldCurlyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLW View Post
    No...this is DEFINITELY NOT a *who do you think makes the best blahblahblah holster*...

    Its a question on *preference* of a particular *feature* that seems to be in demand and/or gaining popularity, and I'm curious as to why...

    Thumb breaks holsters, be it a IWB or OWB holster, whilst carrying a 1911.

    With the safety features of a 1911 (thumb switch must be off and grip safety must be depressed before the gun will fire...) I'm curious as to why people seem to want thumb breaks. Even if carrying in Condition 1, the gun is really quite safe, won't discharge if dropped (unless you've done alot of "COUGH" *custom* "COUGH" trigger work with a Dremel on your own) and a well-made holster will provide the proper retention via friction for an OWB holster, and a thumb break on a IWB seems redundant if the reason is to prevent a gun grab, because, when properly concealed, no-one is supposed to be able to tell that there is a gun under your shirt to grab.

    I personally can't see a reason for a thumb break on a IWB as its yet another step in drawing the weapon that you need to be mindful of, and you've already got enough to worry about in getting your cover garment cleared so that you can draw if, God forbid, its a life-or-death situation. Why add a thumb break to the list of possible snag points?

    On a OWB, I can understand the reasoning for a bit more safety from a gun grab, especially when the firearm is being OC'd. Then again, you can carry OWB with a cover garment, and if properly concealed, the chances of a gun-grab are practically nil, because if a perp can't *see* it, how does he know to *grab* it?

    So...do you prefer thumb breaks on your 1911 rigs, either IWB or OWB, and why?

    This question is for CIVILIAN CARRY, not LEO, not Security Guard, not Prison Guard, etc...

    The question is for the typical man-on-the-street civilian exercising his 2A rights.
    I have been carrying 1911s/copies not clones, for over 30 years. Some do not have a grip safety. I use a thumbbreak and carry condition one.

    I like that piece of leather/nylon between the hammer and the firing pin.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

    Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

  4. #4
    Regular Member SGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida, USA
    Posts
    50
    For concealed carry no. For open carry there are better retention options than the thumb break.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    For concealed carry no. For open carry there are better retention options than the thumb break.
    +1

    I've never been a fan of thumb breaks. For CC, you don't really need retention (It's hidden. Why would you want a retention device on something only you know is there? Are you trying to prevent YOURSELF from stealing it? Or just add a feature in addition to clothing that slows your draw?)

    For OC, I always use a retention holster since the possibility exists of a grab attempt. I personally prefer a Bianchi model 82 "Carry-Loc" as I am a leather lover/kydex hater. (Unless someone could point me in the direction of another type of leather, button operated retention holster?) Much better retention than a thumb break (IMHO).

    Although, a thumbreak is a valid mode, it's just not my thing.

    BTW: Although a pointless aesthetic reason on my part: What's the point of OC'ing if you cover up the majority of your firearm with a big ol' honkin' strap instead of clothing? Might as well get one of those GI flap holsters.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA, ,
    Posts
    29
    Don't really think that thumb breaks are for sissies...just not my cup of tea. Especially with all the safety features of a 1911. I may change my tune if I ever buy another single action with an exposed hammer.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    68
    Hate to beat a dead horse, no actually it's more fun than you would think. On the subject though, a retention device thumbreak or otherwise is an absolutely imperative! Everyone seems to think they'll see whatever it is coming and have the gun out or it'll where you see something and respond, I don't care how "friction tight " your holster is, it will come out under certain conditions, you cannot replicate the forces of a fight, which is how lots of this will start, without being hurt just as bad as in the fight. I have broken watch straps which fit properly by hitting someone, they just snapped. I've been spun and flung with unbelievable force and have seen safety holstered weapons come out during fights, it happened to my partner and we didn't know the gun was loose until we cuffed and lifted the guy, you're fooling yourself to think that a grab is the only way it can come loose. We don't do old west gunfights (of course neither did they) whare you slap leather and the fastest draw wins. If you don't believe this then you are preparing to play a part in something you don't even understand. I've played in this arena and can tell you that totin is nice but most don't have the stomach beyond that, that includes most losers and cops alike!

  8. #8
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    Thumb break holsters for a 1911A1 carried in Condition 1 are a PITA. (BTDT) The strap and snap (leather or nylon) have a tendancy to hang up on the draw. Not a good thing. It's also not user friendly when re-holstering and re-attaching the thumb break. 'Friction holsters are... (to me) useless, unless used during CC (which is almost never for me). Finally... I obtained Blackhawk Serpa Level II for my normal daily carry. It's worked so well I bought another one for around the house carry. (I use seperate gunbelts... not pants belts). It will NOT come out of the holster unless the button is depressed correctly. .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gunbelt with Serpa 002.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	4933  

  9. #9
    Regular Member OldCurlyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by shotcop View Post
    Hate to beat a dead horse, no actually it's more fun than you would think. On the subject though, a retention device thumbreak or otherwise is an absolutely imperative! Everyone seems to think they'll see whatever it is coming and have the gun out or it'll where you see something and respond, I don't care how "friction tight " your holster is, it will come out under certain conditions, you cannot replicate the forces of a fight, which is how lots of this will start, without being hurt just as bad as in the fight. I have broken watch straps which fit properly by hitting someone, they just snapped. I've been spun and flung with unbelievable force and have seen safety holstered weapons come out during fights, it happened to my partner and we didn't know the gun was loose until we cuffed and lifted the guy, you're fooling yourself to think that a grab is the only way it can come loose. We don't do old west gunfights (of course neither did they) whare you slap leather and the fastest draw wins. If you don't believe this then you are preparing to play a part in something you don't even understand. I've played in this arena and can tell you that totin is nice but most don't have the stomach beyond that, that includes most losers and cops alike!

    One of my academy mates and his FTO both spent time in the hospital because of a weapon coming out of the holster during an arrest. I had just left that FTO a couple of weeks earlier and was glad to get away from him. He didn't properly secure his weapon.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

    Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

  10. #10
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384
    Retention.

    The fact that it blocks the hammer is a side effect.

    If I could find a comfortable and not ridiculous looking leather holster with a serpa style button release I'd buy it.
    Last edited by t33j; 01-13-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    Retention.

    The fact that it blocks the hammer is a side effect.

    If I could find a comfortable and not ridiculous looking leather holster with a serpa style button release I'd buy it.
    This is my summer holster I just ordered. And it allows me to have the hammer back.

    http://www.opticsplanet.net/desantis...098ta85z0.html
    Last edited by zack991; 01-14-2011 at 05:19 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  12. #12
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    This is my summer holster I just ordered. And it allows me to have the hammer back.

    http://www.opticsplanet.net/desantis...098ta85z0.html
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of IWB carry. I use one of these for my 1911 -> http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...65&CatalogID=4

    It's not bad.
    Last edited by t33j; 01-14-2011 at 06:17 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of IWB carry. I use one of these for my 1911 -> http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...65&CatalogID=4

    It's not bad.
    Yea I seen that one but I am trying to find a good leather holster that allows me to carry locked and cocked which is tougher than it sounds.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  14. #14
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    Yea I seen that one but I am trying to find a good leather holster that allows me to carry locked and cocked which is tougher than it sounds.
    I carry my CBOB cocked and locked in a FLETCH.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558
    I will be ordering this next payday.
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/GAL-SIL-.html
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran Cavalryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by shotcop View Post
    I don't care how "friction tight " your holster is, it will come out under certain conditions, you cannot replicate the forces of a fight...
    What he said! Unless you've been in a real fight with a holstered firearm, you just won't believe how easy it is to lose the weapon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •