• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gun mag talks about OUR tom brewster.

tombrewster421

With all of the other cases mentioned in the article and some of the ones I read here locally, I feel lucky that I didn't have guns drawn on me and be forced to the ground. It's amazing how arrogant some of the people in charge are that they think they can just go against the laws they're supposed to uphold just because they don't agree with them. The only difference between us and them is that when we act like that, we go to jail. They just go about business as usual. Maybe go to one meeting and fill out a paper.

amzbrady

It is true that Open Carrying a firearm is more dangerous to the open carrier than to the public. There should be a law that makes it against the law for a law enforcement officer to break the law. I like the idea of personal liability, if an officer makes a mistake, like not following the law and harrassing someone, then he should get two weeks off unpaid and be financially responsible for any cost incurred for time loss, legal fees and travel expenses for court.

amlevin

I There should be a law that makes it against the law for a law enforcement officer to break the law.

There is/are. Several for that matter. Unfortunately, who do you look to for "enforcement". The same people that are breaking them. Only when the "crime" is heinous, or embarrassing to the Department, will they actually take action. The only recourse is the FBI in many cases and they pick and choose the cases they want to investigate.

Bigger penalties will just result in fewer investigations and charges. Remember, the "fox is guarding the hen house".

Perhaps the only solution is a true civilian organization to investigate and charge. The Prosecutor's office is too close to the PD's as they deal with them every day. Nobody wants to p!$$ off the other side.

FMCDH

There is/are. Several for that matter. Unfortunately, who do you look to for "enforcement". The same people that are breaking them. Only when the "crime" is heinous, or embarrassing to the Department, will they actually take action. The only recourse is the FBI in many cases and they pick and choose the cases they want to investigate.

Bigger penalties will just result in fewer investigations and charges. Remember, the "fox is guarding the hen house".

Perhaps the only solution is a true civilian organization to investigate and charge. The Prosecutor's office is too close to the PD's as they deal with them every day. Nobody wants to p!$$ off the other side.

Actually, the State Patrol under the direction of the Governor might be the appropriate way to bring rogue officers to justice if their individual departments wouldn't take action.

After an officer was proven to be in the wrong, by independent review, you have the SP go to their home (or even their work) and put them in handcuffs for violation of civil rights, violation of oath of office, illegal action under color of law, or whatever is appropriate.

This happens maybe 2 or 3 times, you will see LEO attitudes change quick, and "training" on civil rights abuses would be done statewide overnight.

Of-course, this requires a willing and engaged administration to make sure the laws they are suppose to be overseeing are enforced at every level. But if that was the case now, every department would be "trained" on Open Carry and ID requirements by now. How hard would such a thing be in a work world where e-mail is ingrained in nearly everything done?

I mean really....one e-mail from the Governor to all the department heads state wide, "here is the law, teach it to your officers immediately, future 'lapses in judgment' will be punished accordingly."

Its not such a hard thing, it just requires a willingness to shake up the status-quo.

O, but if I were Governor...:D;)