• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Couple of Questions

mobodyguard

1. can you carry a weapon into a library that doesnt have a no weapon posted sign

2. Since we are open carrying, can you carry your weapon into a business that states no concealed weapons allowed

3. should you carry your weapon with a bullet in the chamber

afcarry

Ill take a shot at it (no pun intended):

1. Generally, no. Reference:

RSMO 571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly: (8) Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any church or place where people have assembled for worship, or into any election precinct on any election day, or into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government, state government, or political subdivision thereof;

If you are going to carry into a city library, that falls into this category. I believe if a the state or the federal government contributes funding for any library then it will fall into this category, though I have no reference for that. Maybe someone else can correct me or solidify that.

2. Technically, yes. If the sign is the only indication (for example, there is nothing published and theres no other verbiage elsewhere) and it says "No Concealed Weapons" then your good. Its up to you, some people may see this as a gray area, and think you are pressing your luck, based on "the spirit" of the sign, but by definition open carry is not concealed.

3. Is a frog's poo hole watertight? Conditionally, yes. Based on the unfortunate inability to predict what is going to happen in the near future it is crucial to be as prepared as humanly possible. However, due to limitations in training and/or equipment you may decide not to. Carrying chambered is a personal choice, and if you feel like you are more likely to have a ND on a draw because of a chambered round, then maybe its not for you. If you have a holster that has little or no retention then you may decide this is not for you. If you think your weapon may go off if dropped, don't drop it and buy a better gun. I carry my Glock chambered in a Glaco thumb break and I have no concerns about safety. I carry a 1911 in a Serpa and have no concern about safety. When I carried my Glock in a Fobus (dumb idea, I know) I had a round chambered about 30% of the time. With no retention, I wanted that couple seconds of "oh sh**" time while the bad guy fumbled with my gun to try and get it back or run away. Then I decided I was stupid and got a better holster. Now my Fobus is a chew toy for my teething son. Whatever you are most comfortable and competent with.

Big Boy

You can not carry into a library

You can carry into a place that has a sign. It is not illegal, but you will probably promptly be asked to leave.

Yes you should carry with one in the chamber. I don't care what you carry, whether it be a glock with no mechanical safeties, or something that need an arming code before you can actually pull the trigger, it needs a round in the chamber. If you should ever need that weapon what in Gods name makes anybody think they will have the time, motor skill, or thought to rack the slide? The holster covers the trigger, and when it's out of the holster you should be smart enough to not be touching the trigger. If these things are followed, there is no reason it should ever go off, and therefore no reason to be worried. None of my handguns have safeties, and every one of them are chambered.

MK

Ill take a shot at it (no pun intended):

1. Generally, no. Reference:

RSMO 571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly: (8) Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any church or place where people have assembled for worship, or into any election precinct on any election day, or into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government, state government, or political subdivision thereof;

4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.

I am not a lawyer but just wanted to post this exception that is listed within this section of Missouri Revised Statutes. To me, this would seem to mean that if you have a valid permit to carry concealed that you are legal (as far as the state laws are concerned) in these places. It also includes subdivision (10) of subsection 1 which is:

(10) Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000030.HTM

but federal laws may still be a problem with some of the State's exceptions like for instance the Gun Free School Zone Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

afcarry

Very true. If you a have a CCW this does not apply to you. Thanks. My question: If you have a CCW, do you have to conceal should you decide to carry in a church or place where people have assembled for worship, or into any election precinct on any election day, or into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government, state government, or political subdivision thereof?

mspgunner

One in the chamber

3. should you carry your weapon with a bullet in the chamber[/QUOTE]
This has been beaten to death in many other forums.... A firearm without one in the chamber is a "CLUB", the bad guy is not going to give you time to rack one, you will be dead! If you are not well suited for an auto loader with one in, carry a revolver. It took me a while when I first got my CCW years ago to carry a pistol with one in, I got used to it. There is no doubt, a pistol with one in and ready is the best means of CCW or OC if you have to pull and shoot. It will go down in the blink of an eye, hestate, mess with the firearm..... YOU ARE DEAD!