Thread: Tips on cleaning my first rifle

Seattle, WA; escaped from 18 years in TX

Tips on cleaning my first rifle

I've owned pistols for many years and have always cleaned them with a rod, brush, and cotton patches. I bought my first rifle a few days ago. It's a Remington 700 XCR in .270 Winchester (I opted for a Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-9x40 scope; I'll upgrade to a Leupold VX-3 later). I didn't have a lot of time when I was buying the rifle, and forgot to pick up cleaning supplies, so I went back today and picked up a Hoppe's BoreSnake, some more No. 9 solvent, and a cleaning mat.

I've never cleaned a rifle. Is there anything I need to know that I wouldn't know from cleaning my pistols? What do people think about the BoreSnake? I've read mixed reviews. Should I go get a one-piece steel rod and a brush and clean the rifle the traditional way? I wouldn't mind a full explanation of how to clean a rifle, if anyone feels inclined to help me out Thanks in advance.

Navasota, Texas, USA
    First thing to do is figure out how to remove the stock and the bolt. It is essential in cleaning a rifle as it is the only real way to expose the internals, especially on a 700.

First I run a cloth through the bore with Hoppe's #9. What I use for cleaning is a good spraying of Berryman's brake parts cleaner. I use a plastic brush for any built up stuff. Be sure it is part #1420 on the back. It is the exact formula as a well known (Gun Scrubber I think) gun cleaner and is a lot cheaper. They make 2 different ones so make sure it is part #1420. I then blow it clean with compressed air. If you don't have a compressor use computer canned air. You can let it air dry but it takes a bit longer. Then run your bore snake through the bore starting at the chamber end. Oil all of the moving parts with oil of choice. I use synthetic because it doesn't break down like regular oil. Wipe it down to remove all excess oil and I usually leave it out an hour or so and wipe it down a second time after it oozes out of crevices. I will then put it together, make sure everything is working properly and store it until I use it again.

I do not put oil in the bore before storage. Some people say the bore will rust but I've never had this problem.

Happy shooting!
    Last edited by rodbender; 12-31-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    The thing about common sense ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Puyallup< WA
    what rodbnder said, pretty much covers it. Get a good coated rod, and use nylon brushes instead of metal ones. I stopped using hoppes #9 and now use the barnes solvent, it seemed to work a bit better for me, but not a huge difference. Always clean a rifle from breech to muzzle if possible. Cleaning from the muzzle can damage the crown and ruin accuracy. I only oil the barrel and chamber if I'm storing the rifle for an extended period. Also, take special care to remove copper fouling in a rifle, and clean it until your patches come out clean.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbender View Post
    I do not put oil in the bore before storage. Some people say the bore will rust but I've never had this problem.
    I do, as it's steel, and steel will rust, bore or not. However, I sling a last, dry cotten patch through a couple of times, as oil in the bore isn't very safe come firing time. Still, the residual will help protect it over time.
    The 1st protects the 2nd, and the 2nd protects the 1st. GET THIS OR LOSE IT ALLl: 27-2=0. Our 2A is THE bellwether, and ain't none finer: Islamic Reality. Our Founding Fathers on Church and State. PC=ZERO.