• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Iowa open carry law

paknon2wheels

Wow! Lots of misinformation there. :banghead:

It's a shame the media doesn't do any research to see if what there going to say is actually true.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Wow! Lots of misinformation there. :banghead:

It's a shame the media doesn't do any research to see if what there going to say is actually true.

It's quite possibly they simple don't know how. That's why they're reporters, not scientists.

Kudos to Iowa for having the good sense God gave a goose to endorse open carry.

Last edited:

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
It's quite possibly they simple don't know how. That's why they're reporters, not scientists.

Kudos to Iowa for having the good sense God gave a goose to endorse open carry.

Open carry in Iowa was already legal. The new law doesn't change anything with regards to open carry. It takes away a sheriff's discretion in deciding who to issue permits to and what restrictions to put on the permits.

paknon2wheels

Yep, the new law does several things, but OC wasn't one of them. You also notice that the information bar on the screen while he is talking says "Iowa will let people carry guns visibly with no permit"

Hopefully people don't see that and think they can go OC whenever and wherever they want without a permit.

A couple of things that did change with the new law are:
IA permit is now valid for 5 years instead of 1
IA accepts all other state's permits

OT Darkshadow62988: I have seen your post on the IA board. I'm not sure if you would be interested, but a few of us are getting together on the Jan 15th at Shooting Sports in Moline, IL for some target practice, then some lunch at Culvers off 53rd.

eye95

FoxNews just did a "new laws for 2011" report. They also erroneously reported that Iowa just instituted open carry. I sent them an email. We'll see if they correct the report before the program is over in another hour.