• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying Handguns In State Parks Or Forests - 2010-R-0472

bennor

If any one's interested there is now an OLR research report on carrying handguns in a state park or forest.

Carrying Handguns In State Parks Or Forests - 2010-R-0472
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rpt/2010-R-0472.htm

December 3, 2010 2010-R-0472

CARRYING HANDGUNS IN STATE PARKS OR FORESTS

By: Janet L. Kaminski Leduc, Senior Legislative Attorney

You asked a series of questions about a person's ability to legally carry a handgun (i. e. , pistol or revolver) in a Connecticut state park or forest. We present the questions and answers below.

Under what circumstances may a person legally possess or carry a handgun in a Connecticut state park or forest?

Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) regulations prohibit, with exceptions, hunting or carrying firearms or other weapons in any state park or forest (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 23-4-1(c)). In order to legally carry a handgun, a person must obtain a permit to carry (CGS § 29-28).

According to DEP, a person may legally possess a handgun in a state park or forest when carrying the handgun exclusively for hunting small game (e. g. , rabbits, squirrels) or other authorized activities, such as for use at a firearms range or participation in a hunter education class. They may only do so at predetermined times in areas set aside by the DEP commissioner and posted for such purposes (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 26-66-2(d)). DEP says that what is permissible for hunters depends on the site and season.

Under DEP regulations, a person cannot use a handgun using centerfire ammunition to hunt on state-owned land. Handguns using ammunition larger than . 22 caliber rimfire long rifle cartridges also are prohibited on state-owned land (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 26-66-2 (a)).

Full details about hunting can be found in DEP's 2010 Hunting and Trapping Field Guide, which is available at: http: //www. ct. gov/dep/cwp/view. asp?a=2700&q=452546&depNav_GID=1633.

What are the penalties for carrying weapons in a state park or forest in violation of Section 23-4-1(c) of the regulations?

Anyone who violates this regulation commits an infraction (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 23-4-5(b)(1)). The current fine for this infraction is $ 75, as set by the judges of the Connecticut Superior Court. State law permits a penalty of up to $ 90 (CGS § 23-4).

Also, under the regulation, DEP may evict the violator from the property for 24 hours (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 23-4-5(a)(1)). And state law allows DEP to prohibit a violator from entering any state park for up to one year from the date of conviction (CGS § 23-4).

Does the DEP own or exercise control over parts of the National Park Service or National Wildlife Refuge System within the state, such as the Appalachian Trail?

According to DEP, it has authority over the portions of the Appalachian Trail on state-owned park and forest property. Other portions of the trail are on federal property and are managed collectively under a Memorandum of Understanding between DEP, the National Park Service, Department of Public Safety, Appalachian Trail Conference, and Appalachian Mountain Club. Still other portions of the trail are on private property and not under DEP's control.

Under federal law, it is lawful for a person to carry a handgun in portions of the National Park Service or National Wildlife Refuge System while in compliance with Connecticut state law. Can a person who possesses a valid state permit to carry a handgun carry handguns while on the portions of the Appalachian Trail that pass through state parks or forests?

Federal law allows anyone who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms on portions of the Appalachian Trail (16 USC § 1a-7b). This applies only to land the U. S. government owns and the National Park Service manages. It does not apply to the portions of the Appalachian Trail located on land owned or managed by other federal, state, or local agencies.

State law and regulation apply to those portions of the Appalachian Trail that pass through state-owned parks and forests. In accordance with state regulations, a person may not carry a handgun in state parks and forests (except as discussed in question 1), according to DEP (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 23-4-1(c)). There are property boundary markers on state park and forest lands, as well as the Appalachian Trail. DEP says it is the hikers' responsibility to know where they are and which laws apply.

Last edited:

Alex.EastHartford.

I never hunt and not into it. but what if like to hike or go sight seeing. and something or someone is lurking in the park or forest. how do you protect youself? you run like hell? NOT BEING ARMED IN THESES MASSIVE DENSE AREAS GOT BE OUT OF YOUR MIND! these are the places were bad men dumps helpless victims or mug and rape women and leave them in woods left for dead. stuff like this really happens. DEP is not going to protect you if something happens to you. theres at least 32 states that allowed guns in there parks or forests and conecticut is not one? does not make sense? state permit and state park. but no gun to protect yourself from the evil that dwell on this earth. EVEN IN PARKS AND FORESTS. I Always carry on! anywhere and everytime and anyplace!!

Last edited:

KIX

The lamestream media seems to be rather quiet on what happened last year when the federal ban was lifted.

Woman was hiking on the Appalachian Trail and she was carrying. Guy tried to rape her and didn't fare too well in the end when she defended herself.

That was almost immediately after the ban was lifted.

Jonathan

KIX

I'll see if I can dig up the case where this happened. I heard it on NRA news quite some time ago. I know I deleted those podcasts.

I'll practice my google fu when I get home.

Jonathan