• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BP pistol

kameron454ci

hello I just found out today that anyone can open carry in mich ;) now my question is can i open carry a black powder pistol? I only ask beacuse I know that the gun you carry has to be registerd under the persons name who is carring but... black powder pistols dont have to be registerd so what do you guys think?

NHCGRPR45

That is an excellent question. I would venture to say yes legal to own legal to carry. However heres the disclaimer....

I am not a lawyer don't do it till you ask one. Later in the day I am sure someone will come along and cite laws, facts and figures. I have looked but all I can find is they don't need to be registered, can be bought without a pistol purchase permit and generally don't have S/N.

I would say carry a registered firearm. Just for the reasons above. Not to mention reliabillity, reloading time, and other factors. But if its all you have I would suggest contacting the state police first they may be able to at least set you in the right direction. Go to the MSP website look for the "contact MSP" and shoot them a email. Can't hurt, might help.

Oh and not everyone can open carry. You must be at least 18, and the handgun you are carrying must be registered to you. You can't be a felon i.e. you must be able to own firearms. Check out Michigan Open Carry website theres a lot of great information there that will help you understand the laws of open carry. And i suggest you know the law backwards and forwards before you open carry, anytime you are armed you are either 100% within the law or you are 100% wrong. Knowledge is power!

Also if your able try and make one of our seminars, they are very informative and as a plus you'll get to meet fellow OC'ers. Win win!

And WELCOME to OCDO!

Last edited:

kameron454ci

thank you all for you help. beleve it or not watching youtube (open carry) can teach you alot about youre rights. I now know what to say to a leo if i am stoped:D and btw it does not take that lond to reload a 1858 remingition new army all i have to do is drop in a pre loaded cylinder just like a speed loader actualy its faster than reloading a modern revolver. also i like to shoot me guns from time to time and i can put a hundred rounds through my gun for less then $20

kameron454ci

yes i know i can registure it if i wanted but why give the goverment any more information than you have to. I might do it just to be on the safe side beacuse i know the LEO's around here dont have a clue about oc. when i go to registure my pistol i might talk to ower police cheif about oc so when they get a (man with a gun call) they might know how to handle it although i thought police officers were suposed to know the laws. from personal experince i know that alot off cops dont have a F ing clue about the law

stainless1911

Banned
basically that. Realistically though, you gotta cut em a break tho. There are hundreds of pages of laws just on firearms alone, you really can't expect them to know all of the laws. And firearms are just one small segment of the law.

kameron454ci

no i dont have a cpl why would i pay the state to exercise my 2nd amendment right! i dont mind haveing to carry my gun i a locked case while in my car so no need for cpl . oh by the way how do i find out when thare are rallys and such for oc as i am willing to stand with my brothers in arms when ever they need me!

stainless1911

Banned
stay on the forum, activities are posted regularly, often stickied.

Although I agree with you in theory, having a CPL covers your @$$ in MAJOR ways. see also http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(hq...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-234d

The MSP legal update also caused some confusion about lawful purpose and transport. .http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

You can easily be on the premises (includes parking areas, grass, etc..) of a place with a liquor license unknowingly. They don't have to sell alcohol at that time. And what if you make a simple mistake like riding a bycicle? That would make you a felon.

kameron454ci

hmm i have another question i live on and work a family farm can i carry my sidearm with me on a tractor as long as i stay on my property? only reason i ask is beacuse i run into coyote all the time when on the tractor. in fact last year i was about 25 yard away from one and he wast just watching me rake hay no fear of me at all i actuly got off the tractor and started walking to him he checked me out as i did him. i got about 20 yards from him and he turned his back to me and causualy walked away. now this was about 500 yards away from my farm and he must have been 75lbs or more!!! so i consider this a danger to my livestock and this would be the reason i would like to oc on my tractors any advice would be great thank you

NHCGRPR45

Never ask the police for legal advice.

See the thread about lawyers, and call one of them up. I recommend Dean Greenblett. BTW, please post their reply.

Don't forget the MSP legal update! That was VERY helpful. :D

yes i know i can registure it if i wanted but why give the goverment any more information than you have to. I might do it just to be on the safe side beacuse i know the LEO's around here dont have a clue about oc. when i go to registure my pistol i might talk to ower police cheif about oc so when they get a (man with a gun call) they might know how to handle it although i thought police officers were suposed to know the laws. from personal experince i know that alot off cops dont have a F ing clue about the law

On the MOC web page there is a LEO packet you could print out and take to your local LEO's, and include the MSP's Legal Update #86. that is a good start to informing your local jurisdiction about lawful open carry.

kameron454ci

I know who the cheif is... its a small town i do not intend to just drop it of i want to make shure not only he reads it but it is displayed so all officers have a chance to read it. I have been held at gun point by a leo when i was 14 it was a very scary situation for me this is what I am trying to provent from happening to OC's. why was i held at gun point you might ask. well me and a friend decided to skip school one day and go explore a abandoned house well someone must have seen us enter the home and called the police before we knew it two oficers blow threw the front door and say put your hands up mother f**kers wow I almost crapped my pants in the end they drove us home told ower parents what we were up to and left us with ower verry pissed off dad's:eek:

Last edited: