• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Couple gets attacked at the movies. Armed bystander intervenes.

eye95

The reporter waits till the end of the story to mention (briefly) the armed citizen's role in stopping the attack. :banghead:

TheQ

People keep saying you should only draw if you're going to shoot. This is an example where merely presenting a firearm de-escalated the situation.

AFPVet

Just be careful though. The use of deadly force does not mean that you actually fire... it means that you point your weapon. Use of deadly force does not always end up with a shooting; however, using deadly force implies that the subject has met the criteria to being lawfully shot.

Nevada carrier

TWENTY PEOPLE? And the marine was not the armed one? If I were attacked by twenty people, I would be glad I carry enough ammo for at least one each, but sad that I didn't have enough for two each.

hammer6

just an FYI- i live 15 minutes from that movie theater in bradenton, and this is the first i'm hearing of a person with a gun...

Claytron

The response coulumns to the incident say all that needs saying.

Are you saying all the racist idiots commenting on the video are correct? You hate black people?

Not sure exactly how 6 comments from a bunch of rednecks "say all that needs to be said"... maybe you could elaborate?

Dreamer

Old News...

I posted links to this story on 12/29/10 in the "News and Political Alerts" thread.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...aved-from-lawless-mob-by-armed-LAC-CCer-in-FL...

There were reports on local news websites that mentioned the armed citizen coming to the aid of the Marine and his wife. This fact has been in the news since day one...

The reason I posted it in the "News" thread, and not here in the "True Tales" thread is because technically it wasn't "self defense". It was an armed citizen coming to the defense of someone else who was being attacked. It was a noble story of heroism, self-reliance, and personal responsibility. But its not really a "self" defense incident...

Last edited:

zack991

Are you saying all the racist idiots commenting on the video are correct? You hate black people?

Not sure exactly how 6 comments from a bunch of rednecks "say all that needs to be said"... maybe you could elaborate?

You can call it whatever you want, but because the black community has embraced and glorified the gangster lifestyle, you have young kids thinking that violent crime is normal and if you have a problem you uses violence to solve it even if it’s illegal . The simple fact what you call racist statements are in most case fact, even the FBI statics backs most of the stats that where posted... Simply blacks commit more crime per captia and the ghetto community glorifies this and they try to make themselves out to be the victims because they are black. Now there are hatefully posts on that video but the facts do not lie, because many blacks have been raised that these criminal actions are sociably acceptable and anyone who hold them accounting for their actions are bigots and racists. I certainly don't hate blacks; I hate the crimes they commit and the use of the race card as excuse for their actions. They say they hate the stereotypes that the government statics in most cases back, yet many refuse to stop glorifying the thug lifestyle and that they don't have to be held responsible for their actions. The stereotypes wont change if the black community refuses to change what they see as socially acceptable solutions to problems and the uses of the race card as an excuse for why they are "targeted"by law enforcement.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=2217

Michael Rand, Jennifer Truman

October 13, 2010 NCJ 231327

Presents the annual estimates of rates and levels of violent crime (rape or sexual assault, robbery, aggravated assault, and simple assault), property crime (burglary, motor vehicle theft, and property theft), and personal theft (pocket picking and purse snatching). This report describes the year-to-year change from 2008 and trends for the 10-year period from 2000 through 2009. The National Criminal Victimization Survey (NCVS) collects information on nonfatal crimes, reported and not reported to the police, against persons age 12 or older from a nationally representative sample of U.S. households. During 2009, 38,728 households and 68,665 individuals were interviewed twice for the NCVS. This report also includes data on the characteristics of victims of crime; estimates of intimate partner violence; and use of firearms and other weapons during the crime.

Highlights include the following:

* An estimated 4.3 million violent crimes, 15.6 million property crimes, and 133,000 personal thefts were committed against U.S. residents age 12 or older in 2009.
* Violence against males, blacks, and persons age 24 or younger occurred at higher or somewhat higher rates than the rates of violence against females, whites, and persons age 25 or older in 2009.
* About half (49%) of all violent crimes and about 40% of all property crimes were reported to the police in 2009. Violent crimes against females (53%) were more likely to be reported than violent crimes against males (45%).

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv09.pdf

Last edited:

Claytron

You can call it whatever you want, but because the black community has embraced and glorified the gangster lifestyle, you have young kids thinking that violent crime is normal and if you have a problem you uses violence to solve it even if it’s illegal . The simple fact what you call racist statements are in most case fact, even the FBI statics backs most of the stats that where posted... Simply blacks commit more crime per captia and the ghetto community glorifies this and they try to make themselves out to be the victims because they are black. Now there are hatefully posts on that video but the facts do not lie, because many blacks have been raised that these criminal actions are sociably acceptable and anyone who hold them accounting for their actions are bigots and racists. I certainly don't hate blacks; I hate the crimes they commit and the use of the race card as excuse for their actions. They say they hate the stereotypes that the government statics in most cases back, yet many refuse to stop glorifying the thug lifestyle and that they don't have to be held responsible for their actions. The stereotypes wont change if the black community refuses to change what they see as socially acceptable solutions to problems and the uses of the race card as an excuse for why they are "targeted"by law enforcement.

These days statistics are like farts, everyone has them and they all stink. Did you know that when coming up with stats most of the time its not just some neutral party doing the research for free and just for the hell of it. Most studies are done with the intent of HELPING the person or party funding the study.

Its also been brought up by many people that these statistics do not cover every arrest, every jail and every prison. They dont get their stats by looking at the ENTIRE prison system, but instead get their information from certain jails in certain areas. This alone is enough to flaw any study.

You keep saying "they say.." and "they do.." Who is "they"? Every black person in the world? Youve spoken with every black person in existense and confirmed that they glorfiy the gangster lifestyle and cause crime and violence, yet at the same time play the race card when caught? Really? EVERY single one of them huh? VERY interesting.

What do you have to say about the white kids these days who do everything they can to "act black", in other words glorifying the thug life as much as your average inner city black kid? They are just "bad apples" and the white race is actually perfectly fine?

Actions by one race mean one thing, but the same actions by another race mean something completely different?

You say things like: "I hate the crime THEY cause" and " I hate the violence THEY cause" ... Ig uess thats what differentiates a racist from an intelligent person with common since. I dont hate it when blacks do something bad. I hate it when ANYONE does something bad.

One white guy and one black guy both do the same crime and in your eyes the black guy had it coming and the white guy was framed.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Just be careful though. The use of deadly force does not mean that you actually fire... it means that you point your weapon. Use of deadly force does not always end up with a shooting; however, using deadly force implies that the subject has met the criteria to being lawfully shot.

+1, and as those criteria vary quite a bit from state to state, it behooves us all to know them at least as thoroughly as we know our firearms!

since9

Campaign Veteran
Funny how they leave out the part of the armed citizen scaring the kids away until an afterthought at the very end. Damned media...

Here's a related video. It's got some racist editing and commentary, but has more footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc-2WYCh3pk

"I just feel like I was embarrassed because I was plastered all over the news..." - "Destiny McNeil." My response: Yeah... Well, the video at 5:55 proves otherwise.

"The movie theater did not have any security on staff that night..." My response: Has anyone ever gone to a movie where the theater had security? Not I, and I go to the theaters all the time. I've probably been to more than 100 theaters, including more than half a dozen in California. It's not the theater's responsibility to provide security. Security is the responsibility of all citizens.

Video at around 5:48 is fairly accurate.

You know what? This video has convinced me that if I'm ever forced to get into it in a crowded area, I'd better have more than a single spare magazine. From now on, I think I'll be wearing my two-pack on the left side, in addition to the spare magazine I carry in a pouch on my holster. That's 65 rounds, total. Should I ever go through it all, though, I'll have to hold my firearm until it cools. My holster is made of nylon.

Last edited:

KansasMustang

Just me sayin it Claytron but I think you're on the wrong forum. Folks in here believe in self defense. The man that brandished his firearm probably saved the life of that MARINE that is fighting on foreign soil for his country,was in grave danger,,,,right or wrong whether you believe in the war or not . The presentation of deadly force is a means to defuse a situation. The man did the right thing, he didn't feel the necessity of the use of deadly force and still got the desired results. I think sir you need to look at your core values an decide who the real victims here are. The couple that just wanted to watch a movie unmolested, or the "Black community" whom you say are being put in a category. Wrap your mind about the "what if" What if it were you and your lady? Get a grip on reality, the youth of America are becoming the problem, black , white or Hispanic. No one Parents their children anymore. No one teaches them respect for themselves or others.

Claytron

Just me sayin it Claytron but I think you're on the wrong forum. Folks in here believe in self defense. The man that brandished his firearm probably saved the life of that MARINE that is fighting on foreign soil for his country,was in grave danger,,,,right or wrong whether you believe in the war or not . The presentation of deadly force is a means to defuse a situation. The man did the right thing, he didn't feel the necessity of the use of deadly force and still got the desired results. I think sir you need to look at your core values an decide who the real victims here are. The couple that just wanted to watch a movie unmolested, or the "Black community" whom you say are being put in a category. Wrap your mind about the "what if" What if it were you and your lady? Get a grip on reality, the youth of America are becoming the problem, black , white or Hispanic. No one Parents their children anymore. No one teaches them respect for themselves or others.

Im sorry but.... did say anything negative towards the marine or his wife....at ALL?

The only thing i can think of is that i said we dont know if the couple were rude or racist, i entered it in a possibility for people to ponder while mulling over this story.

are you saying because i dont hate black people that im automatically in cahoots with these criminals or something?? I responded to that guys post in this thread NOT because i thought the marine "deserved it" but because i didnt feel that every black person was at fault just because of the actions of a few.

I think its YOU who needs to get a grip on reality and also better reading comprehension because i never implied in any way, shape or form that what this group of criminals did was ok. I never said that the man who ran for his gun was wrong.

In the end, i think you are just peeved that someone is standing up for minorities. I honestly cant see anything from my posts that would lead an intelligent, articulate person to believe that i think these people deserved to be beaten by a group of thugs.

KevlarCowboy

I'm just wondering if the LAC who brandished his weapon did not get the situation under control or the 20 or so teen's had turned on him, would he have been able to lawfully defend himself with lethal force?

What I'm asking, is there some kind of law stating that a person can use lethal force due to an escalation of force? especially because there teenagers and possibly unarmed.

I know you guys are arguing about statistics and who was right or wrong in this situation, regardless of who started this altercation its never right for 10, 15, or even 20 people to jump a person or a couple and no man should ever hit a women, period!

eye95

I'm just wondering if the LAC who brandished his weapon did not get the situation under control or the 20 or so teen's had turned on him, would he have been able to lawfully defend himself with lethal force?...

Based on how those thugs behaved and the number of them, if they turned on the armed man, he would reasonably believe that his life was in danger which, in most States, is the standard by which his affirmative defense would be judged.

IMO, yes.