Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal magazine capacity?

Legal magazine capacity?

I've done a search for this but came up empty. What is the maximum legal magazine capacity in Michigan? Or is there no limit? When I purchased my Ruger P95 it came with 2 10 round mags and I'm sure I've seen this same gun sold with larger capacity mags. Anyone?

Michigan has no limit on magazine capacity

Banned
    As it should be. Get a glock, and you can carry those 30rd mags if you want.

Thanks guys. I'll order a couple 20rd mags... that should be sufficient.

Banned
    got a 5.7?

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    got a 5.7?
    5.7?

Banned
    FNH 5.7x28. an awesome piece I wish I had. comes with 3 20 rd mags. It shoots a little rifle bullet, looks like a mini .223 Very high velocity, some say, it has the stopping power of a .45 or greater, but less chance of overpenetration. And its just stoopid accurate

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...003&gid=FNG001

http://www.cabelas.com/handgun-ammun...:referralID=NA
    Last edited by stainless1911; 01-01-2011 at 04:51 PM.

My Springfield XDm 9mm holds 19+1 round. The box says: Not Legal in (the People's Republic of) California with high capacity magazine.

Glad I don't live there!
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned
    Yep. I had that sticker on my XD.40 12+1. Kommiefornia has a 10 rd max. And OC has to be unloaded.

Theres a 100 round mag they make for glocks lol!

Banned

I have a drum magazine for my Bersa .380.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Banned
    I'd like to see that at an OC picnic

It was curiosity/novelty purchase and is not reliable.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

I thought assualt rifles had a 10 round limit here in Michigan?
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

The 10rnd limit was part of the assault weapons ban which is expired. It limited production of more than 10rnd, not ownership or possession of. AFAIK there is no longer a limit to production of high cap. mags. Although there are grumblings in the legislature of getting the ban reinstated.

Quote Originally Posted by sasha601 View Post
    Michigan has no limit on magazine capacity
    Not 100% true, for the purposes of this forum and what itswe're here for you are correct sir, but if you should go hunting there are restrictions to be followed, they are--hand guns, in the shotgun zone are limited to 8 rounds(i might be wrong on this one) in the rifle zone-no limits, LONG GUNS-in the shotgun zone you are limited to 5 rounds for hunting with the exeption if you are hunting waterfowl(this also includes woodcock) you must be plugged only 3 rounds are allowed. In the rifle zone all rifles are limited to 5 rounds- .22 are allowed 15-18 no matter were your at.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    Not 100% true, for the purposes of this forum and what itswe're here for you are correct sir, but if you should go hunting there are restrictions to be followed, they are--hand guns, in the shotgun zone are limited to 8 rounds(i might be wrong on this one) in the rifle zone-no limits, LONG GUNS-in the shotgun zone you are limited to 5 rounds for hunting with the exeption if you are hunting waterfowl(this also includes woodcock) you must be plugged only 3 rounds are allowed. In the rifle zone all rifles are limited to 5 rounds- .22 are allowed 15-18 no matter were your at.
    What you say is true and it's good that you recognize that. However, also on this forum; it is "understood" that when issues are discussed, it is in the general area of carrying in everyday life and not a "hunting" scenario where DNRQ rules apply.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    As far as hunting , you are correct. There are limit on number of rounds that you are allowed to have in your firearm. However, I believe that high capacity mags are still not prohibited during hunting. You can still have high cap magazine in your gun, but you better have no more than 5 rounds when DNR checks it out. Am I wrong?

Banned
    Good question. Could I carry the 12+1 XD, or do I have to resort to using a wheel gun. Also, I am accustomed to carrying extra mags, usually 2 or 3, is there any restrictions on that?

Excerpt from the DNRE 2010 guidebook:

Shell Capacity for Shotguns and Centerfire Rifles
    It is unlawful to hunt with a semi-automatic shotgun or semiautomatic
    rifle that can hold more than six shells in the barrel and
    magazine combined
    unless it is a .22 caliber rimfire. Fully automatic
    firearms are illegal. All shotguns used for migratory game birds
    (including woodcock) must be plugged so the total capacity of the
    shotgun does not exceed three shells. (bold-my emphasis)
    Notice this does not apply to pump or bolt action shotguns or rifles...except for birds. So you could legally use an old Henry lever with 15rnds.
    I could find nothing limiting the capacity for any handgun.
    Last edited by WARCHILD; 01-02-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: ETA

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I have a drum magazine for my Bersa .380.

Bronson
    I have a 50rnd drum for my 1911 .45.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    It was curiosity/novelty purchase and is not reliable.

Bronson
    Ditto. Although a friend tinkered with his and has it working reliably most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WARCHILD View Post
    Excerpt from the DNRE 2010 guidebook:

Shell Capacity for Shotguns and Centerfire Rifles
    It is unlawful to hunt with a semi-automatic shotgun or semiautomatic
    rifle that can hold more than six shells in the barrel and
    magazine combined
    unless it is a .22 caliber rimfire. Fully automatic
    firearms are illegal. All shotguns used for migratory game birds
    (including woodcock) must be plugged so the total capacity of the
    shotgun does not exceed three shells. (bold-my emphasis)
    Notice this does not apply to pump or bolt action shotguns or rifles...except for birds. So you could legally use an old Henry lever with 15rnds.
    I could find nothing limiting the capacity for any handgun.

While hunting in the shotgun zone, a conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.Although these rules are important, these restrictions are only for hunting, not for general firearm carry.

Citation: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...1578--,00.html
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Thanks Dr T...I missed that; but I do notice that is a requirement for deer hunting only. If I were to use a .22 semi-auto pistol for small game hunting, there is no capacity limit that I can find (if I didn't miss that too)

Banned
    So its the guns capacity, not how many you have loaded in it. Straight walled, hmm, so much for the 5.7.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast