• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal magazine capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WARCHILD

Excerpt from the DNRE 2010 guidebook:

Shell Capacity for Shotguns and Centerfire Rifles
It is unlawful to hunt with a semi-automatic shotgun or semiautomatic
rifle that can hold more than six shells in the barrel and
magazine combined
unless it is a .22 caliber rimfire. Fully automatic
firearms are illegal. All shotguns used for migratory game birds
(including woodcock) must be plugged so the total capacity of the
shotgun does not exceed three shells. (bold-my emphasis)
Notice this does not apply to pump or bolt action shotguns or rifles...except for birds. So you could legally use an old Henry lever with 15rnds.
I could find nothing limiting the capacity for any handgun.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Excerpt from the DNRE 2010 guidebook:

Shell Capacity for Shotguns and Centerfire Rifles
It is unlawful to hunt with a semi-automatic shotgun or semiautomatic
rifle that can hold more than six shells in the barrel and
magazine combined
unless it is a .22 caliber rimfire. Fully automatic
firearms are illegal. All shotguns used for migratory game birds
(including woodcock) must be plugged so the total capacity of the
shotgun does not exceed three shells. (bold-my emphasis)
Notice this does not apply to pump or bolt action shotguns or rifles...except for birds. So you could legally use an old Henry lever with 15rnds.
I could find nothing limiting the capacity for any handgun.

While hunting in the shotgun zone, a conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.Although these rules are important, these restrictions are only for hunting, not for general firearm carry.

Citation: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31578--,00.html

WARCHILD

Thanks Dr T...I missed that; but I do notice that is a requirement for deer hunting only. If I were to use a .22 semi-auto pistol for small game hunting, there is no capacity limit that I can find (if I didn't miss that too):uhoh:

Acdrenik

So after reading all these posts I'm still not 100% sure I understand. If I am open carrying in general is there a limit on how many rounds I can have in my magazine? I'm not wondering about hunting purposes, just general open carry. I have a Smith & Wesson SD9VE with a 16+1 round capacity.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I've done a search for this but came up empty. What is the maximum legal magazine capacity in Michigan? Or is there no limit? When I purchased my Ruger P95 it came with 2 10 round mags and I'm sure I've seen this same gun sold with larger capacity mags. Anyone?
Sounds to me like you bought a model that was either a.) made before the magazine ban expired, or b.) bought one made for those states that still have their own version of the AWB still in force. Just buy some larger capacity mags, and you'll be fine.

Tucker6900

FNH 5.7x28. an awesome piece I wish I had. comes with 3 20 rd mags. It shoots a little rifle bullet, looks like a mini .223 Very high velocity, some say, it has the stopping power of a .45 or greater, but less chance of overpenetration. And its just stoopid accurate

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF003&gid=FNG001

http://www.cabelas.com/handgun-ammu...-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

I just ordered mine! :):)

The overpenetration issue is pretty non existant with hollow points. But if you use FMJ youll put through holes in just about anything.

Iowa doesnt have mag restrictions. I just purchased a 15 RD mag for my M&P .45. Its rediculous, but awesome all the same.

Last edited:

alphamale

this round was developed to penetrate soft body armor, so whomever told you this silliness was dead wrong. And it does not have the stopping power of a 45acp, the benefit is high capacity and penetration on most soft armor. As far as "stoopid accurate" I am not sure what this means, but it is as accurate as any short barreled weapon with what I call a rifle cartridge. Meaning the accuracy is okay as tested by myself and others. These PDW (Personal defense weapons) were made for things like executive protection where the protagonists often wore/wear body armor, and a full rifle may not be allowed for various reasons. I will stick with my 45 acp and keep shooting till the threat is no longer an issue and I always practice the Mozambique drill, like everyone should.

FNH 5.7x28. an awesome piece I wish I had. comes with 3 20 rd mags. It shoots a little rifle bullet, looks like a mini .223 Very high velocity, some say, it has the stopping power of a .45 or greater, but less chance of overpenetration. And its just stoopid accurate

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF003&gid=FNG001

http://www.cabelas.com/handgun-ammu...-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

stainless1911

Banned
this round was developed to penetrate soft body armor, so whomever told you this silliness was dead wrong. And it does not have the stopping power of a 45acp, the benefit is high capacity and penetration on most soft armor. As far as "stoopid accurate" I am not sure what this means, but it is as accurate as any short barreled weapon with what I call a rifle cartridge. Meaning the accuracy is okay as tested by myself and others. These PDW (Personal defense weapons) were made for things like executive protection where the protagonists often wore/wear body armor, and a full rifle may not be allowed for various reasons. I will stick with my 45 acp and keep shooting till the threat is no longer an issue and I always practice the Mozambique drill, like everyone should.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Mis-stating other posters statement

Last edited by a moderator:

SpringerXDacp

So after reading all these posts I'm still not 100% sure I understand. If I am open carrying in general is there a limit on how many rounds I can have in my magazine? I'm not wondering about hunting purposes, just general open carry. I have a Smith & Wesson SD9VE with a 16+1 round capacity.

No, not in Michigan. The 1994 (18 USC, Section 922) ban on high-capacity mags (more than 10 rounds per mag) was repealed Sept. 1, 2004. There are other states, IIRC, such as California, and New York that have limits on mag capacity under state law.

alphamale

I have been in firefights and you have not. So I am the best judge of the situation I face

ALL THE REST DELETED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack

So, you fully intend to kill any threat you find yourself drawing on, long before the event unfolds and you have a chance to determine the appropriate level of force for the given situation? That sounds like a gun owner who is just looking for an excuse to shoot someone to see what it's like.

2 center of mass hits followed by a hit to the cranium with a .45 acp is hardly survivable. Although by the context of your post, I'm confident in speculating that you do not intend to stop at 3 shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheQ

To suggest the 5.7 has more stopping power than a ACP is laughable. While very fast, the bullet is lighter than a .22 LR.

Status
Not open for further replies.