• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Carry Caliber and Ammo type Questions...

nuc65

Activist Member
I will apologize if this has been covered, but my search didn't resolve my questions.

In VA what caliber and brand of handgun(s) are carried by the police? Type and caliber of ammo? Is a backup piece considered normal? If so what is the type and caliber of backup? Does the department mandate a certain brand VA wide? Does each city determine this, or state or another?

Is there a specification for the trigger pull weight on a piece?

t33j

I will apologize if this has been covered, but my search didn't resolve my questions.

In VA what caliber and brand of handgun(s) are carried by the police? Type and caliber of ammo? Is a backup piece considered normal? If so what is the type and caliber of backup? Does the department mandate a certain brand VA wide? Does each city determine this, or state or another?

Is there a specification for the trigger pull weight on a piece?

I know of .357 sig, .40, 9mm. Others may know of more.

From what I can tell each department makes up its own mind depending on available funds and officer preferences but I have no documentation to support that.

Last edited:

PaulX608

I have a neighbor who is a Prince William County Sheriff's Deputy. He carries a Glock in .45ACP. He used to be with the Loudon County Sheriff's Dept and carried a H&K USP in .45ACP then.

nova

Virginia State Police - Sig P229 DAK .357sig
Fairfax County Police - Sig P229 .40SW (used to use 9mm with Federal 9BPLE, 115gr +P+ JHP in Sig P226 and I think P228/P229s as well, up until a couple years ago.)

from my own observations...

Fairfax County Sheriff's Office - Glock (fullsize, don't know caliber)
City of Manassas Police - Glock 22 .40SW
George Mason University Police - Sig P229 (don't know caliber)

and doing some internet research I found

Virginia Beach Sheriff's Dept. at least at one time used - Glock 19 9x19mm

Last edited:

nova

.40 S&W (by observation circa 2008)
Thank you. I updated my post.

It makes sense that the SO and PD would use the same caliber, they likely share the contract with the ammo distributor/manuf.

t33j

I know the National Park rangers use Sigs. Ran into a guy with a fullsize P220, and a girl with a P228 on the top of a mountain.

nova

City of Alexandria Police - Glock
Arlington County Police - Glock

since others have added non VA agencies that operate in VA,

Ft. Belvoir (Dept. of Army Civilian Police) - Beretta M9 9mm

I've seen them qualify at the range.

Last edited:

curtiswr

....I spoke with confirmed .40 cal. Glock is standard issue. Double stack mags. Nice! What model would that be?

Henrico Sheriff's deputy told me they had the choice between the Glock 22 or 23. The one I was speaking to had the 23. All the police officers I've seen and checked have had the 22.

6L6GC

Newport News

a while back I spoke to a couple Newport News police officers while in line at the 7-11. I was open carrying my Colt. They both had some kinda black plastic guns. I was open carrying and neither of them showed any interest. I asked what caliber their guns were and they both blurted "45!!" as if they were surprised that I would not already know that. Nice I said. Me too. They both gave a passing glance at my Colt and mumbled something about "good choice" or "nice pick" or something.

We all exited with our hot enough to sue over coffee and doughnuts in hand, so, I guess they use 45s here in NPN.