• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns jammed

phred

Yes. :)

Thanks for the help, everyone! I was shooting factory loads and the shells were not ejecting. The problem went away after the first few rounds. I just assumed the guns warmed up.

Your gun problems were akin to what happens when people from lower altitudes travel to the mountains and feel out of breath when they exert themselves - high altitude sickness. Your guns just weren't used to the Wisconsin climate. After all, we are closer (higher latitude) to the North Pole than you were in Arizona. After a few shots your guns got acclimated and they worked just fine. Every so often take them out and shoot a few rounds. In no time they'll feel just like they belong here. Glad I could help.

ETA: Also, make sure you clean the guns thoroughly so you don't contaminate our fine Wisconsin soils with that Arizona dust. Then use a light lubricant as mentioned by other contributors.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Yes. :)

Thanks for the help, everyone! I was shooting factory loads and the shells were not ejecting. The problem went away after the first few rounds. I just assumed the guns warmed up.

My timing for moving up here could have been better. We drove up through a huge storm on the 20th. It snowed pretty good from South of Rockford all the way to our front door in Eagle River. We didn't count a ton of cars in the ditch(18), but expected to join them every second. I was driving the family conversion van and the ABS quit working the very first time I hit the brakes in the snow. It was an adventure the last 350 miles.

We've been planning to move here for years. The Phoenix area isn't great for raising a family. Among other things, the air quality is poor and the school systems rank very low. I've had family in this area since before I was born and always come up for a couple of weeks in the summer...I made sure to OC!

My kids, we have 4 four year olds, will be of school age next year so we wanted to get up here before then. My wife received a nice job offer from Marshfield Clinic, in Minocqua, as a Nurse Practitioner and they needed her to start in January, thus the timing of the move.

Nice C4. I have a C6. You warmed the lube up when you fired. Use RemOil. The teflon doesn't need to warm up. Just like the synth oil we use in our Vettes, the faster a pistol gains optimal viscosity the less likely it is to jam.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

I run a light white gun grease on sliding parts but wipe off extra residue and follow with synthetic gun oil (CLP type)..... No issues in WI winters... plenty of shooting, cleaning and lubing in the summer seems to leave a nice slippery base..

littlewolf

When stationed in AK in the 70's I was the unit armorer we used LSA,now I use mineral oil as with the LSA or any other light oil wipe on and wipe off.The oil gets in the pores of the metal you don't need much beleive me at -70 no problems.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I use RemOil dry lube, I have never had an action get stiff with that. I have seen many other peoples guns jam from stiff lubrication in them. Especially people who shoot an SKS for deer season. As loose as those things run, you'd never expect lubrication to seize them, but it does.,

Typically in cold, you'll get a few rounds no problem then it will seize up after the lube flows into other parts and thickens.