Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The biggest of the big

The biggest of the big

For those who truly believe size matters, http://www.magnumresearch.com/FAQ_BFRRevolver.asp
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

You'd need 5 seconds and two hands to unholster that beast!!!
    frankd
    "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."

They've been around for quite a while. I've got one in .475 Linebaugh 6.5"bbl. It has an excellent trigger and is very accurate. The Freedom Arms revolvers look better, but the BFR has a slightly longer cylinder in the .475. Makes for more versatility in handloading.

I don't have any plans on getting a long cylinder model. I prefer the smaller package for a hunting sidearm, and the .475 Linebaugh will fold anything that walks anyway.

Although if you are looking for a .500 S&W beater, the .45-70 and .450 marlin models would be your poison, and with less pressure and recoil. Being able to have a cylinder for both .45-70 and .450, with the same revolver, is a plus as well.

I don't plan on hunting Buffalo nor Elephants with a pistol. So I believe I'll just pass on one of them monsters. Might like shooting it once, but I believe I don't need any more broken wrists LOL
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

I never thought I'd say this......................that's one gun I can truly say I don't want.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

I really like mine, it's a very strong revolver. I just wish they had, or would accept, a bisley style grip frame.

I know that thing's big but... there's nothing quite like a Colt Python. I think I'll stick with my favorite.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The question is where is Peter Nap? He knows big!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The question is where is Peter Nap? He knows big!
    Yep, got two BFR's. One in 45/70 one in 45/410.
    Love em!

There's one of my babies along with one of my 44's, a NAM and one of my Blammy shells (.730 DDR)

Last edited by peter nap; 01-12-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Oh...I forgot.....

Big Guns Save Lives!

I have a Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. Figger that's plenty enough gun for me.
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    I have a Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. Figger that's plenty enough gun for me.
    The Redhawk is great gun and the 44 Mag is really my favorite all around caliber KM. I sold mine years ago when we were short of money and just haven't run into a good deal on another one since.

I did come across a deal on a S&W 629 about a month ago and it's been my EDC ever since. Matter of fact, I wore it to our OC Dinner last night.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    The Redhawk is great gun and the 44 Mag is really my favorite all around caliber KM. I sold mine years ago when we were short of money and just haven't run into a good deal on another one since.

I did come across a deal on a S&W 629 about a month ago and it's been my EDC ever since. Matter of fact, I wore it to our OC Dinner last night.
    That's great. While the Ruger is not my carry gun of choice (I have a Springfield XD45 for that) it is my gun I choose to carry when hunting deer or elk. I love shooting it and always hit what I point it at.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    That's great. While the Ruger is not my carry gun of choice (I have a Springfield XD45 for that) it is my gun I choose to carry when hunting deer or elk. I love shooting it and always hit what I point it at.
    My big guns are sort of a running joke here but the simple fact is, I spend most of my time in the sticks and I shoot the big revolvers better and what I hit falls down without a lot of fanfare.

I do carry my 1911 when I'm places I don't want to draw a lot of attention but I'd still be more comfortable with a revolver in 44 or 45.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome, hell I own a Judge and most people think it's a joke, along with my .22 NAA derringer and everything in between. That thing is just a bit much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NRAMARINE View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome, hell I own a Judge and most people think it's a joke, along with my .22 NAA derringer and everything in between. That thing is just a bit much for me.
    They are not for everyone and certainly not EDC.
    In some ways it's easier to carry my Guide Gun in 45/70 than the BFR. I have to use a chest strap with the BFR.

With the 45/410 it gets different. I have a gun capable of taking everything in Va. in a smaller package than my .308/12ga over under.

Edc?

A .410 handgun is no joke, especially in a home defense situation. There are some really impressive defensive loadings available as of late.

They are not for everyone and certainly not EDC.
    In some ways it's easier to carry my Guide Gun in 45/70 than the BFR. I have to use a chest strap with the BFR.
    Thus the reason I decided to go with the "normal" size BFR in .475... It carries in a crossdraw holster very comfortably. If I need more stonk (I can't imagine why) I can carry an 1895G "Guide Gun" or my 444P "outfitter".

I don't know what it is... but I love big bores and hardcast.
    Last edited by stickbow95; 01-12-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stickbow95 View Post
    A .410 handgun is no joke, especially in a home defense situation. There are some really impressive defensive loadings available as of late.

Thus the reason I decided to go with the "normal" size BFR in .475... It carries in a crossdraw holster very comfortably. If I need more stonk (I can't imagine why) I can carry an 1895G "Guide Gun" or my 444P "outfitter".

I don't know what it is... but I love big bores and hardcast.
    The federal .410 buckshot loads are what I prefer. Hornady Leverevolution.45lc rounds are good also.

Edc?
    Guessing that he means ETC = easy to carry, course for Peter anything with a barrel shorter than half the diameter of his truck tire is easy to carry.

See below
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-12-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

EDC= Every Day Carry

The federal .410 buckshot loads are what I prefer. Hornady Leverevolution.45lc rounds are good also.
    I cast and handload everything I shoot. That makes for some very effective rounds for the BFR...especially in .410.

For my 45/70's, it's either 405 gr Lee or 350 gr Ranchdog molds.

I cast and handload everything I shoot. That makes for some very effective rounds for the BFR...especially in .410.

For my 45/70's, it's either 405 gr Lee or 350 gr Ranchdog molds.
    I'm a big fan of the Ranchdog moulds. I like the 350gr .432 for my .444 Marlin. It's even pretty good for very heavy .44 Mag loads.

Quote Originally Posted by stickbow95 View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Ranchdog moulds. I like the 350gr .432 for my .444 Marlin. It's even pretty good for very heavy .44 Mag loads.
    How do you buy your lead - by weight or volume?

Peter buys by the 55 gal drum load - one time he brought 2-55 gal drums full home at the same time!!!

Think he broke the fork lift unloading them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    How do you buy your lead - by weight or volume?

Peter buys by the 55 gal drum load - one time he brought 2-55 gal drums full home at the same time!!!

Think he broke the fork lift unloading them.
    Don't tell the EPA, or anyone in the gubment. They'll say that's manufacturing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast