• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The biggest of the big

stickbow95

They've been around for quite a while. I've got one in .475 Linebaugh 6.5"bbl. It has an excellent trigger and is very accurate. The Freedom Arms revolvers look better, but the BFR has a slightly longer cylinder in the .475. Makes for more versatility in handloading.

I don't have any plans on getting a long cylinder model. I prefer the smaller package for a hunting sidearm, and the .475 Linebaugh will fold anything that walks anyway.

Although if you are looking for a .500 S&W beater, the .45-70 and .450 marlin models would be your poison, and with less pressure and recoil. Being able to have a cylinder for both .45-70 and .450, with the same revolver, is a plus as well.

KansasMustang

I don't plan on hunting Buffalo nor Elephants with a pistol. So I believe I'll just pass on one of them monsters. Might like shooting it once, but I believe I don't need any more broken wrists LOL

clarkebar

I know that thing's big but... there's nothing quite like a Colt Python. I think I'll stick with my favorite.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The question is where is Peter Nap? He knows big!

Yep, got two BFR's. One in 45/70 one in 45/410.
Love em!

There's one of my babies along with one of my 44's, a NAM and one of my Blammy shells (.730 DDR)

little.jpg

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have a Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. Figger that's plenty enough gun for me.

The Redhawk is great gun and the 44 Mag is really my favorite all around caliber KM. I sold mine years ago when we were short of money and just haven't run into a good deal on another one since.

I did come across a deal on a S&W 629 about a month ago and it's been my EDC ever since. Matter of fact, I wore it to our OC Dinner last night.

KansasMustang

The Redhawk is great gun and the 44 Mag is really my favorite all around caliber KM. I sold mine years ago when we were short of money and just haven't run into a good deal on another one since.

I did come across a deal on a S&W 629 about a month ago and it's been my EDC ever since. Matter of fact, I wore it to our OC Dinner last night.
That's great. While the Ruger is not my carry gun of choice (I have a Springfield XD45 for that) it is my gun I choose to carry when hunting deer or elk. I love shooting it and always hit what I point it at.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's great. While the Ruger is not my carry gun of choice (I have a Springfield XD45 for that) it is my gun I choose to carry when hunting deer or elk. I love shooting it and always hit what I point it at.

My big guns are sort of a running joke here but the simple fact is, I spend most of my time in the sticks and I shoot the big revolvers better and what I hit falls down without a lot of fanfare.

I do carry my 1911 when I'm places I don't want to draw a lot of attention but I'd still be more comfortable with a revolver in 44 or 45.

NRAMARINE

Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome, hell I own a Judge and most people think it's a joke, along with my .22 NAA derringer and everything in between. That thing is just a bit much for me.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome, hell I own a Judge and most people think it's a joke, along with my .22 NAA derringer and everything in between. That thing is just a bit much for me.

They are not for everyone and certainly not EDC.
In some ways it's easier to carry my Guide Gun in 45/70 than the BFR. I have to use a chest strap with the BFR.

With the 45/410 it gets different. I have a gun capable of taking everything in Va. in a smaller package than my .308/12ga over under.

stickbow95

A .410 handgun is no joke, especially in a home defense situation. There are some really impressive defensive loadings available as of late.

They are not for everyone and certainly not EDC.
In some ways it's easier to carry my Guide Gun in 45/70 than the BFR. I have to use a chest strap with the BFR.
Thus the reason I decided to go with the "normal" size BFR in .475... It carries in a crossdraw holster very comfortably. If I need more stonk (I can't imagine why) I can carry an 1895G "Guide Gun" or my 444P "outfitter".

I don't know what it is... but I love big bores and hardcast.

Last edited:

NRAMARINE

A .410 handgun is no joke, especially in a home defense situation. There are some really impressive defensive loadings available as of late.

Thus the reason I decided to go with the "normal" size BFR in .475... It carries in a crossdraw holster very comfortably. If I need more stonk (I can't imagine why) I can carry an 1895G "Guide Gun" or my 444P "outfitter".

I don't know what it is... but I love big bores and hardcast.

The federal .410 buckshot loads are what I prefer. Hornady Leverevolution.45lc rounds are good also.