• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The biggest of the big

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The federal .410 buckshot loads are what I prefer. Hornady Leverevolution.45lc rounds are good also.

I cast and handload everything I shoot. That makes for some very effective rounds for the BFR...especially in .410.

For my 45/70's, it's either 405 gr Lee or 350 gr Ranchdog molds.

stickbow95

I cast and handload everything I shoot. That makes for some very effective rounds for the BFR...especially in .410.

For my 45/70's, it's either 405 gr Lee or 350 gr Ranchdog molds.

I'm a big fan of the Ranchdog moulds. I like the 350gr .432 for my .444 Marlin. It's even pretty good for very heavy .44 Mag loads.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm a big fan of the Ranchdog moulds. I like the 350gr .432 for my .444 Marlin. It's even pretty good for very heavy .44 Mag loads.

How do you buy your lead - by weight or volume?

Peter buys by the 55 gal drum load - one time he brought 2-55 gal drums full home at the same time!!!

Think he broke the fork lift unloading them. :uhoh: :lol:

NRAMARINE

How do you buy your lead - by weight or volume?

Peter buys by the 55 gal drum load - one time he brought 2-55 gal drums full home at the same time!!!

Think he broke the fork lift unloading them. :uhoh: :lol:

Don't tell the EPA, or anyone in the gubment. They'll say that's manufacturing.

stickbow95

I generally have to frequent the tire shops for scrap wheel weights. The problem I run into is that now there is a bit of competition to get it. I have been having to pay around $0.30/lb for scrap WW. And with the steel and zink weights mixed in I generally only get around 1lb of smelted lead for every 2lbs of WW. But it still has buying boolit lead beat six ways to Sunday.

KansasMustang

I always wanted a Desert Eagle in .44 mag. My little hands just don't fit around the handle. Dangit. And I won't buy a weapon that I can't hold in one hand and fire. I generally would use a two-handed grip to fire almost anything of course for accuracy but I feel the need to be able to shoot one handed also. So tell me, does the DE have heaps of recoil or is it mild?

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Hey, great thread! Thanks for posting this up.

I have been contemplating a 454 Casull for mountain trips up here in the Northwest, but am leery of the nasty recoil on those things.

I like the recoil figures Magnum puts out for the rifle calibers (45/70) being much lower. As well, they can make them in 375 Winchester/38-55, and as I own both rifles, this makes it a logical choice instead of the 454.

May need to think about this for a bit.

stickbow95

I have been contemplating a 454 Casull for mountain trips up here in the Northwest, but am leery of the nasty recoil on those things.

I like the recoil figures Magnum puts out for the rifle calibers (45/70) being much lower. As well, they can make them in 375 Winchester/38-55, and as I own both rifles, this makes it a logical choice instead of the 454.

If recoil is an issue, consider a ruger blackhawk in .45 Colt. With heavy, hardcast FN bullets (350gr) pushed to modest velocities (1000-1100fps) you end up with a very managable, packable handgun that wont break your wrist. A .45 cal 350gr FN pill moving at 1100fps is very hard to stop. Recoil would be on par with a factory .44 Mag.

If .44 Mag would be more to your liking, the same results can be acheived with a 320-330gr .430 -.432dia bullet at 1100 fps.
In a big-bore handgun slow heavy bullets will outperform light fast bullets on dangerous game.

Last edited:

tletourneau

I always wanted a Desert Eagle in .44 mag. My little hands just don't fit around the handle. Dangit. And I won't buy a weapon that I can't hold in one hand and fire. I generally would use a two-handed grip to fire almost anything of course for accuracy but I feel the need to be able to shoot one handed also. So tell me, does the DE have heaps of recoil or is it mild?

It's really not bad. Between the weight and the fact it's gas operated it has much less perceived recoil than you would think. I've had my .50AE since '97 and love it, the thing is a blast to shoot (pardon the pun). It's a bit tough to OC though.:)

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Sheesh!

I've heard this, and that, and you're all wrong, as this is the largest handgun in the world:

worldslargestrevolver2.jpg

From the article:
"You’re looking at the largest revolver in the world – The Pfeifer Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Zeliska revolver is an Austrian single-action revolver produced by Pfeifer firearms. It is the largest handgun in the world, weighing in at 6.001 kilograms (13.23 pounds) and having a length of 55 cm (21.65 inches). The cylinder section alone weighs 2.041 kg (4.5 pounds).

"The Zeliska is also the most powerful handgun in the world, producing a muzzle energy of over 6 kilojoules (4425 pound-force foot). The weight of the gun helps control the recoil, making controlled shooting possible. The capacity of a Zeliska is five .600 Nitro Express or .458 Win Mag rounds.

"The Zeliska fires a .600 Nitro Express slug at 462m/s (1,515.75 ft/s). The cost of a Zeliska revolver is over $16,000. Each .600 Nitro Express round costs $40, making this gun very expensive to fire.

Loading is accomplished through a loading gate located on the right of the cylinder, similar to the Colt Single Action Army.
I'm willing to bet Arnold has one. :)

For those of you who think this is a joke, read this.

By the way, it's recoil is approximately 10 times greater than that of a .44 magnum.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
At $200.00 per loading that would do serious damage to the bank account to just sight it in.:eek:

That thing is immense!

Butch00

I have a 454 with a 4 3/4 in Barrel and is not bad to shoot. If recoil bothers you use 45 colt rounds. I use
400 gr. Hard Cast Lead that leaves the barrel at 1275 fps. Nice load for bear at close range.
Also the Casull is easy to carry.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Butch,
Is this the Taurus Raging Bull in .454? I do like the shorter barrel, but don't like the shorter 2.5' barrel models out there. 4 3/4 seems about right.

@stickbow
Thank you for the input also!

stickbow95

No problem n15.
I'll throw in a vote for the .454 as well. I don't have one but I plan too. I went with the .475 Linebaugh first (It's slightly more powerful than the .454) but I do agree that the .454 Casull is more versatile. It also has greater amminition availability.

I really like the Ruger alaskan in .454. However, I do wish it would come in a 4" version.