• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawful Possession of a Handgun at a Drive-In? (for CPL holders only)

SIGfreed

The other thought i just had is this part of 28.425o

on a separate note.....

Re-read the part in bold.

Or otherwise = anything that is not concealed...ie: open carry. Transporting a loaded pistol in a vehicle requires a cpl (or some other exception), whether concealed or not concealed. The law does not indicate that the pistol is concealed simply because it is in a vehicle.

Maybe you should explain this to the person that wrote MI statute 750.227 and titled it: Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

Last edited:

eastmeyers

I can tell you this. I have OCed probably 40-50 times their over the past 3 years. Nothing bad ever happened. And I don't sit in my car (hurts my back) I bring over-sized cloth lawn chairs. So its way out in the open. The only comments I have ever gotten are the usual, from CPL holders, of hey do you ever get hassled for OCing? I have seen police officers there, walked right past them (they noticed but didn't care), nothing ever said. In fact this past summer, I went every week, because it hurts too much to goto regular theaters, and after a few times, they noticed me at the gate and started charging me the child (13 and under $3) price for myself and all of my passengers. I think they liked me!

stainless1911

Banned
Even if a parking lot was a structure, the law is worded "should know" Considering that there is no way a person can know how many seats showed up that night for a particular movie, that being a long stretch of the definition to begin with, then I don't think it would be a problem. The only question I have was just brought up, isn't a drive in considered a theater?

Bronson

Maybe you should explain this to the person that wrote MI statute 750.227 and titled it: Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

From the MI Rules of Statutory Construction:

Section 8.4b

8.4b Catchline not part of section.

Sec. 4-b.

The catch line heading of any section of the statutes that follows the act section number shall in no way be deemed to be a part of the section or the statute, or be used to construe the section more broadly or narrowly than the text of the section would indicate, but shall be deemed to be inserted for purposes of convenience to persons using publications of the statutes.

So the part of 750.227 you are referring to doesn't mean squat.

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty. <----this part doesn't count for anything

Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.

Just sayin' :lol:

Bronson

Last edited: