• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at NRA meeting in Pittsburg 4/29-5/1 2011?

scot623

OC at NRA meeting in Pittsburgh 4/29-5/1 2011?

Is OC legal in convention centers in PA? Is OC allowed in the David L Lawrence convention center? Has anyone ever attended an NRA annual meeting and if so is firearm carry allowed? I just joined and I'm considering going to this event. Any pertinent info on OC in PA would be helpful. I have a CPL in Michigan. Thanks.

http://www.nraam.org/

Last edited:

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Well, there's a Pittsburg, California, a Pittsburg, Kansas and a Pittsburg, Texas. Sorry, but there hasn't been a Pittsburg, Pennsylvania since 1911.

There is, however, a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Drop the "h" at your own peril.

scot623

Well, there's a Pittsburg, California, a Pittsburg, Kansas and a Pittsburg, Texas. Sorry, but there hasn't been a Pittsburg, Pennsylvania since 1911.

There is, however, a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Drop the "h" at your own peril.

Sorry for the typo. Any info on PA OC laws you can give?

Last edited:

Statkowski

Pennsylvania's Open Carry flyer can be found here - http://paopencarry.org/PennsylvaniaGunRights.pdf

Very, very basically, open carry is not prohibited anywhere in the Commonwealth, nor does one need any license (Pa. LTCF or recognized license/permit from another state) to open carry except in Philadelphia. Open carry is prohibited in state parks, but concealed carry is permitted with an LTCF or recognized license/permit.

Carry in a vehicle (car, bus, train, etc.) requires an LTCF or recognized license/permit. Carry is not permitted in court facilities, nor K-12 schools (which may or may not be totally accurate since the school statute is somewhat ambiguous).

There is no prohibition on carrying, open or concealed, in bars, churches, restaurants, or other state/county/municipal government buildings (unless the building is owned/leased by the Pa. Department of State).

Counties, cities, boroughs and townships cannot make their own rules/regulations/ordnances on carrying or possessing firearms.

From the convention center we get the following:
As long as you follow PA state law, the same restrictions would apply here. Debbie

Debbie Smucker
Director of Sales & Marketing, David L. Lawrence Convention Center
t 412.325.6174 f 412.565.6008

In other words, you can carry. The preceding info came from the PAFOA website. You can thank the Allegheny County Sportsmens' League (ACSL) for overturning the center's long-standing prohibition on firearms.

Last edited:

david.ross

In other words, you can carry. The preceding info came from the PAFOA website. You can thank the Allegheny County Sportsmens' League (ACSL) for overturning the center's long-standing prohibition on firearms.

Covering only the DLCC, what about the Westin? They've been Anti-Carry far as I know, I asked when was allowed to go to Anthrocon.

Statkowski

The Westin Convention Center is not owned/operated by the Sports and Entertainment Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County. The SEA owns the David L. Lawrence Convention Center, Heinz Field, PNC Park, the Consol Energy Center (which replaced Mellon Arena), and the North Shore Riverfront Park.

The Westin Convention Center is owned/operated by Westin Hotels & Resorts, an upscale hotel chain owned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide. Private property? Firearms prohibited? It's their decision.

CowboyKen

Last edited:

johnfenter

Keep in mind....

Often, they will have speakers at the NRA Convention, and sometimes they even get "royalty" who have Secret Service protection. The SS declare a "national security" buffer around the venue where the speech will happen while the protectee is there and will not allow firearms in. But, given this administration, it's highly doubtful that will happen for THIS convention...

templar223

Carry at NRA.

I've carried at several NRA meetings and had no issues, although it was concealed. Even in STL where guns were "prohibited" at the venue. (Concealed means concealed and per MO law, all they could do was ask me to leave...)

The only "Secret Service" issue was John McCain in a separate building a few years ago. I decided Mr. McCain could keep his speech as they were disarming attendees. And I had true VIP tickets as well. My only regret was missing that Navy Seal that spoke.

All other politicos have had no issues with getting into the crowd. One year, Rick Perry was there and his detail waited back at the stage and he came out into the audience. I shook his hand and talked with him. He was probably safer in that hall with all those armed folks than he would be crossing the street outside.

John