• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Northwoods OC Night???

CalicoJack10

Anyone out there in "Deh Nort Woods" thinking about doing an open carry night?? There seems to be many of us up here, in the Minocqua/LDF/Woodruff/Arbor Vitae area, why have we not started something like this before?

I am thinking that I know of at least one resturant that would let us gather.

CalicoJack10

lol, Not sure, it is this awesome little BBQ place in Minocqua. Best food in town, good people running it, and I am nearly posative that they are OC friendly.

Jason in WI

We will be up there fathers day weekend.
Would this awesome little BBQ place be the old ******? I've stumbled passed there a bunch going to and from the ****** *****.

Last edited:

theoicarry

Anyone out there in "Deh Nort Woods" thinking about doing an open carry night?? There seems to be many of us up here, in the Minocqua/LDF/Woodruff/Arbor Vitae area, why have we not started something like this before?

We would love to do that. aout a 3.5 hour drive, but know a motel which accepts dogs, as our Golden goes where we go. Need a couple of weeks notice.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
That would be the place.

Since the weather has not been cooperating with the snowmobilers, and the trails they like to ride on, it is basically a ghost town up here, we may end up closing for a few months then re-open in the spring. I will hopefully have my wood-fired pizza oven installed by then, or Mid June at the latest.

O-C is welcomed, actually encouraged at this establishment.

Thanx guys/Gals, I didn't know any of you have been customers. Jack, I think I have met you though. Friend of Paisley??

littlewolf

If in the spring ,sounds great then up to ATV freindly Iron CO. Sounds like a vacation to me.

pahleh

I've got a cottage in northern Oconto County - maybe an hour + away. April - October I could be there.

Jason in WI

Any school zones to be aware of? I wanted to carry on the island but we usually stop at all the bars. I might make it a point to have some BBQ and walk the strip now. Should be interesting with all the Illinois people.

Thanx guys/Gals, I didn't know any of you have been customers.

I haven't been, yet. Last year I walked by and a smoker/bbq thing was going and it smelled great ! I'm not sure if you weren't open or what but we decided to hit the establishment at the end of the street and stop back for lunch, but we never made it out of the bar :uhoh:.

protias

Any school zones to be aware of? I wanted to carry on the island but we usually stop at all the bars. I might make it a point to have some BBQ and walk the strip now. Should be interesting with all the Illinois people.
Remember, the law says to knowingly enter one. ;)

1FASTC4

That would be the place.

Since the weather has not been cooperating with the snowmobilers, and the trails they like to ride on, it is basically a ghost town up here, we may end up closing for a few months then re-open in the spring. I will hopefully have my wood-fired pizza oven installed by then, or Mid June at the latest.

Thanx guys/Gals, I didn't know any of you have been customers. Jack, I think I have met you though. Friend of Paisley??

When are you thinking of closing down? I was planning on stopping by to sample the BBQ and say hello. :)

Nutczak

There are no school zones on the island, you will be near a school if you around McDonald's, and the only other one is down by the MOTO gas station way south of town.

I am going to give it another week or two, and decide at that time. Hopefully we get some decent snow here real damn soon. We were overrun this last summer and I had problems keeping up with demand, but this winter blows big time.
if our NEON "OPEN" sign is lit, we're open, if it isn't lit, Check anyways cuz the damn thing may have just broken again. If you smell BBQ downtown, we are open.

June 25th, I have our "Bring Your Dog To Lunch" day from 10:00 A.M.-Noon, outside seating only. If you got a pooch, come that day too.

CalicoJack10

Nutczak, You know who I am, I am the guy with the Mohawk that coaches beau for basketball. Except I don't have the Mohawk anymore. I have been trying to get out to your place again, but I am getting drawn in every direction since the middle of November. And I have been itching to get some BBQ, but I always end up making it to the island after 7, so I have been screwed on that account.

As far as Hotel's that take dogs, the AmericInn downtown on the island takes them. My girlfriend works there, so I was able to get a quick answer on that one.

I just think we need to start providing people (especially law enforcement) with more of a track record on those of us that open carry responsibly. I think with this being a growing thing all over, they are touchy, and I personally am starting to open carry more often cause of the number of sex offenders with child related crimes within a short distance of me. There are a lot of kids in this neighborhood, and there is a school not too far away, so I would rather there be someone that lets them know that $h*t wont happen in this neighborhood.

Nutczak

Ok, Now I know who you are.

The Minocqua PD is well aware that O-C is legal, and they are not to get stupid with someone who chooses to O-C, a few years back, I would say you could expect some harassment in Minocqua from a select few, but not anymore. The local paper also did great unbiased coverage of the O-C movement in WI.

CalicoJack10

Ok, Now I know who you are.

The Minocqua PD is well aware that O-C is legal, and they are not to get stupid with someone who chooses to O-C, a few years back, I would say you could expect some harassment in Minocqua from a select few, but not anymore. The local paper also did great unbiased coverage of the O-C movement in WI.

There is a reason that they turn over the whole department every 3 to 5 years. Or at least that has been how it has been since I got out of the military. I think I met someone involved with that article, wasn't there a video that went with those articles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B27TBj9B1lE

There it is, I knew I remembered seeing it somewhere.

I will make sure to get down by you some point this week. I have been itching for some BBQ anyway. Probably after basketball tomorrow.

I was also thinking (As per Little Wolf's suggestion) that for this first OC night, we make a day of it, and start with a Fun Shoot kinda thing during the day, and end it with an OC night with the Pitmaster. I would be more than happy to be the primary sponsor (as Calico Jack Defense) and try to work it out so that we can seriously get some attention on what we are doing. I was going to look into sponsoring a tournament anyway, so I could just get started on this idea instead. Granted if it really goes off well, we could make it a yearly thing, but I am also thinking that it would give us a chance to appeal to those hunters that are on the fence about concealed and open carry. What do you all think?

I have experience organizing large scale events, so something like this should be a cake walk.

Last edited:

stickbow95

I'm all for an OC thing in Minoqua. I get into that area regularly for work. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any plans.

Nutczak,
PM me the name of your place if you don't mind. I'd love to come by the next time I'm around.

I look forward to meeting some of you folks.

Ben

FMJ45

I am thinking that I know of at least one restaurant that would let us gather.

Let me know when ( I already know where ) and if I'm free, I'm there! Actually, I'm considering violating the possession ordinance in Rhinelander this year. It seems there's a park ordinances that got passed this past year prohibiting possession in any park in town.

Again, keep me posted. Now that Joe's gone, what's the take on the new town chair on this issue? :question:

1FASTC4

Let me know when ( I already know where ) and if I'm free, I'm there! Actually, I'm considering violating the possession ordinance in Rhinelander this year. It seems there's a park ordinances that got passed this past year prohibiting possession in any park in town.

Again, keep me posted. Now that Joe's gone, what's the take on the new town chair on this issue? :question:

2 of us in Eagle River? Cool.