• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Rural Northern California 2011

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
2007 http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...alifornia-2007
2008 http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ia-Summer-2008
2009 http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...alifornia-2009
2010 http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77580-Open-Carry-in-Rural-Northern-California-2010

New year, new thread. the previous years are posted above for your convenience.

January 2, 2011

I took advantage of the sunny day we had. In spite of the fact we had a dusting of snow here on New Year's Day, it was shirt sleeve weather for my walk up to the traffic signal and back. I sterile open carried my sidearm with magazines in a pouch on my weak side, recorder running. Traffic was steady and a couple walking behind me met me at the traffic signal on my return trip. The man said to the woman, "Oh, he's packing a gun." I nodded and kept on my way. I finished my walk without any further encounters.

As for the weight management update- I weighed in at 204.2 pounds this morning. At my best estimate, I have lost between 52 and 64 pounds since May 2010. I have navigated the holidays without gaining any weight but struggled to maintain any losses because of the weather and short daylight hours curtailing physical acvtivity. When I get to my weight loss goal I might post before and after pictures- but don't hold me to it.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
When I get to my weight loss goal I might post before and after pictures- but don't hold me to it.

Are you trying to tell us that you're not Captain America? My avatar is a picture of me. I hunt and peck when i type.

Seriously though, that's some amazing weight loss. Congrats good sir.

markm

Congratulations!

Hey Condition Three,

Way to go on the weight loss! I did not do very well over the Holidays. I am up some. It is very hard to maintain during the holiday season, as you wrote.

I am hoping to see the before and after photos.

I am happy for you,
markm

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Open Carry in Rural Northern California 2011 - Continued

February 27, 2011

I took advantage of the clear, crisp morning for my walk in my rural neighborhood. I open carried with pamphelts and active recorder. Forgot my mobile phone. Traffic was light, no pedestrians or bicyclists. No interaction to report.

On another note, I have broken through the 200 pound 'barrier'. I believe i will be treating myself this week to a cheeseburger with all the fixin's, provided I have secured this goal. (Last one I had was some time last April or May.)

Save Our State

February 27, 2011

I took advantage of the clear, crisp morning for my walk in my rural neighborhood. I open carried with pamphelts and active recorder. Forgot my mobile phone. Traffic was light, no pedestrians or bicyclists. No interaction to report.

On another note, I have broken through the 200 pound 'barrier'. I believe i will be treating myself this week to a cheeseburger with all the fixin's, provided I have secured this goal. (Last one I had was some time last April or May.)

At least get one at a good restaurant where they use actual cheese instead of that gooey tasteless gunk that Burger Kin or Macdoohickies uses. You can usually tell when you're at a proper restaurant that serves the real deal if the chefs wear plain white hats, and not those phony looking hair nets that don't catch the flakes and lice when they fall from the head

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

March 7, 2011

I took the opportunity of the outbreak of sunshine to conduct a roadside litter pick up. I sterile loaded open carried while picking up trash up my street. I had my recorder running and pamphlets in my back pocket. Traffic was light, but I did have an approaching passer by wave as he drove by. There was no other interaction. My haul was two 33 gallon trashbags for both sides of the one mile strip I was able to service.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

March 16, 2011

Reserved

March 30, 2011

I made my usual preparations for my walk to the convenience store. I carried my sidearm in my retention holster, magazine pouch weak side, active recorder and left my photo identification in my motor vehicle. Traffic was moderate until I reached the main throroughfare. I reached my destination and purchased a sandwich and beverage. While I was paying for my lunch, a man called out to his friend to ask what drink he wanted. He recieved his response and I heard him say, "Wow." In the context, I believe he was reacting to my state of being armed, and not his friend's preference of energy drinks. I took my lunch to the picnic bench out on the grassy area out front and ate near a older man and who I believe must have been his grandson. On my walk home a Shasta County Sheriffs car approached, and I mentally prepared myself to 'remain silent'. When it was apparent that the female deputy was not going to stop, I waved as she passed by. No other interaction to report.

(In reviewing the incident report for 3-30-11, there was no report of a MWAG in my vicinity, nor was there a notation that the deputy saw a MWAG.)

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

April 1, 2011

Unloaded open carried to a late lunch at Panda Express. After I ate, I walked over to the Anderson Walmart Supercenter to do my grocery shopping. Once I completed my purchase, I stood and waited in line to get a money order. No encounters or comments of any kind.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

April 5, 2011

Unloaded open carried to the Prime Cinemas movie theater and watched "Source Code". The children in the concessions line in front of me looked me over before departing with their mother to their flick without comment. Following the movie, I walked across the parking lot and had dinner at Mary's Pizza Shack. Patrons and staff seemed oblivious to my sidearm. No other encounters to report.

stuckinchico

Just a Fair warning IF you decide to OC in Chico (butte County) Making sure your rolliing deep. It being a liberal college town I was constently being taking down to the ground at gun point This was as late as may 2010. Chico PD are a huge Civil Rights violating department That dont get the hint

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

April 15, 2011

Redding

What is better than walking around looking at 2,000 cool cars?

Standing in one place as they roll by.

Kool April Nights has long been a fixture in Redding and today I attended while UOC. I stopped in a nearby restaurant and got dinner before the parade began. Afterwards, I walked to the FoodMaxx and purchased a beverage to enjoy. The clerk manning the self-check out lines did a double take as I walked away with my purchase. By the time I got to the street, the streets were already blocked off and motorheads were lining the cruise.

I was approached by a man asking about my t-shirt (I suppose because it might be impolite to ask about the pistol hanging on my belt.) and discussed briefly the limitations on exposed carry and I gave him a pamphlet. I moved out closer to the action for a better view and stood in the middle of Dana Drive with the other onlookers.

I situated myself behind some folks in lawn chairs next to a teenaged couple and their friend. I'd been standing there for the better part of 20 minutes when I see the friend spot my pistol and non-verbally indicate to his buddy to look. What I gathered in my peripheral vision was nothing more than a 'meh' response and they continued watching the automobiles approach and pass us without a word about it. They neither felt compelled to move away from me nor the need to alert the authorities- I estimate there were about 8-10 officers (between RPD and CHP) in the immediate vicinity which were circulating among the cars on motorcycles and posted at the street corner about 30-40 yards away.

There were no other encounters.

Attachments

• EventPolice.jpg
    EventPolice.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

April 21, 2011

Redding

I arranged to meet a friend for coffee at Barnes and Noble. I arrived a bit early so I went to Office Max to get a couple of copies made. I paid for my purchase and strolled to the Barnes and Noble.

There were three men waiting for the doors to open. I walk up and observe the time. One of them cannot help but satisfy his curiosity. Less than five seconds goes by before he asks;

Young Fella: What kind of cop are you?
ConditionThree: Uh, I'm not.
Young Fella: [pregnant pause- you can almost hear the gears turning as time elapses.]
Young Fella: Oh. [Briefer pause] Parole officer?
ConditionThree: No. I'm not any sort of officer
Young Fella:...and you're allowed to carry a gun?
ConditionThree: In specific circumstances, yeah.
ConditionThree: Yeah. Everybody is.
Kansas: [To Young Fella] It has to be two steps from firing.
ConditionThree: As long as you're not a prohibited person, you can carry.
Kansas: and it has to be two steps from firing.
ConditionThree: Well, actually for California, it would have to be unloaded in incorporated city limits.
Kansas: ...two steps from firing
ConditionThree: (I laugh at Kansas' persistence.) Yeah, kind of. That sounds more like Utah.
Kansas: Kansas requires two steps from firing, and you carry your ammo on the opposite side
ConditionThree: You from Kansas?
Kansas: Yeah
ConditionThree: Ok, cool.
Young Fella says something to Jerry.
Jerry Garcia with a Laptop: It has to be concealed.
Kansas: No, concealed requires a permit.
Jerry Garcia with a Laptop: You have to be concealed.
Kansas engages Jerry with half-known facts.
Jerry Garcia with a Laptop: But you can't carry unconcealed.

I'm standing eight feet in front of him with a holstered pistol in plain view. It has been the topic of conversation from the moment I walked up. And I sense that in spite of possibly being generally pro-gun, that this gentleman is someone I believe would call to report a man with a gun to prove his point.

Kansas: Yeah, you can
Young Fella: If you have your concealed weapons permit.
Kansas: Concealed weapons means you cant have it shown.
Jerry Garcia with a Laptop: Right.
ConditionThree:[Thinks to self- Wrong. A license only exempts licensees from 12025. No statutory requirement to conceal.]
Kansas: You don't have to have a permit to carry unconcealed. Its your constitutional right.
Jerry Garcia with a Laptop: [Grumbles inaudibly. Its evident he clearly disagrees and this open carry talk has challenged his preconceptions. It appeared as if he wished to withdraw from the topic as the store clerk prepared to open the doors.]
Kansas: It just has to be a certain amount away from firing..
Kansas: It has to be unloaded, correct?
ConditionThree: Correct.

The doors are unlocked and we are allowed in.

Kansas takes a closer look and asks me about my pistol - After responding, I depart and I approach the barista to order coffee. A few moments later my friend joins me for coffee. We sit and converse for about two hours. More people arrive and enjoy coffee and conversation. No police encounters, no obvious looks. No puppies were punted and no kittehs were killed as a result of this libertarian audacity. Maybe Jerry 'googled' California carry laws.

DooFster

I don't know, but for some reason, every time C3 has an update to this, I picture an episode of Family Guy (random thought and sorry for the threadjack)...