• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mayfair Mall Incident Under Investigation

icepik

Response from Mayfair

What I just fired off to Mayfair via their website...

Hello,

I just wanted to send a quick thank you to your mall for making it easier for me to save my money, as I will never shop at your property or any property owned by you when you have a gun free zone. You have created this gun free zone to ensure the safety of your customers, and I'm glad to hear that it's been working. I'm pleased to know that there will never be any gun related violence on your mall property. I've even linked to a video here that will show you how effective your gun free zone can be if done properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pGt_O1uM8

I am not alone in my thoughts, and I assure you that I am not the only one who has chosen to NOT shop at your mall.

Criminals don't care about gun free zones, they don't care about signs, rules, laws, etc... Your gun free zone is creating a haven for criminals to hunt out the easy targets, which would be all your shoppers. The criminals can rest easy with the knowledge that they will not encounter anyone who is able to defend themselves due to your gun free zone.

Please advise me if you ever change your policy to be in accordance with what the law allows us non-criminals to do at your competitors...carry guns for OUR protection against the criminals that you've welcomed with open arms, and sidearms.

Just got this reply from Mayfair. Thought I'd share this here. I'll post my reply to them in a moment.

Jason,

On behalf of the Mayfair Management Team, thank you for your comment concerning Mayfair. We have enjoyed a longstanding relationship with our valued guests and they have a true passion about the success of Mayfair. This is reflected in the volume of comments we have received, like yours, wanting to share their thoughts, suggestions or concerns.

Let us stress that the safety and security of our guests are always our top priority and as we have shown repeatedly, we will not tolerate any behavior that compromises that safety. As a result of the incident that occurred earlier this month, we immediately expanded our successful Parental Guidance Required program to include Sundays as well. We have, and will continue to review, other operational and public safety measures to maximize our effectiveness each and every day.

We know that your confidence in Mayfair is critical to our long term success. As we continue to make Mayfair the center of choice for Southeastern Wisconsin, know that we will continue to refine everything we do in leasing, operations, marketing and management to meet or exceed your expectations.

Kate Ochowicz
Marketing Manager
Mayfair
2500 N Mayfair Rd. Wauwatosa, WI 53226
Work: 414.443.5108
Cell: 312.415.0126
Fax: 414.771.1034

icepik

My response back to Mayfair

Just got this reply from Mayfair. Thought I'd share this here. I'll post my reply to them in a moment.

Jason,

On behalf of the Mayfair Management Team, thank you for your comment concerning Mayfair. We have enjoyed a longstanding relationship with our valued guests and they have a true passion about the success of Mayfair. This is reflected in the volume of comments we have received, like yours, wanting to share their thoughts, suggestions or concerns.

Let us stress that the safety and security of our guests are always our top priority and as we have shown repeatedly, we will not tolerate any behavior that compromises that safety. As a result of the incident that occurred earlier this month, we immediately expanded our successful Parental Guidance Required program to include Sundays as well. We have, and will continue to review, other operational and public safety measures to maximize our effectiveness each and every day.

We know that your confidence in Mayfair is critical to our long term success. As we continue to make Mayfair the center of choice for Southeastern Wisconsin, know that we will continue to refine everything we do in leasing, operations, marketing and management to meet or exceed your expectations.

Kate Ochowicz
Marketing Manager
Mayfair

Here's my response back to Mayfair. I'll post any replies I get.

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Since you mention the safety and security of your guests is always a top priority, does that mean you will be removing the firearm ban currently in place for your mall?

Currently, the State of Wisconsin allows it’s law abiding citizens to openly carry a firearm for his/her protection. However, the policy you have in place is stripping that legal right from citizens that wish to shop at your mall, thus leaving them vulnerable and unable to protect themselves from the non-law abiding citizens who choose to carry a firearm illegally. Because of your policy which removes my legal rights, I will not shop in your mall, just as thousands of other law-abiding citizens have also made the choice to not shop at your mall.

Don’t get me wrong, you are not alone in your policy to strip us of our legal rights, just as you are not alone in the long list of retailers we refuse to shop at that is being circulated on a regular basis throughout the State of Wisconsin.

Please advise me if you will be changing your policy to conform with State Law and I will be happy to forward this information so your mall can be removed from that previously mentioned list.

Also, please be advised that your policy does nothing but hurt the law-abiding citizens and does NOT protect your customers as your original intention.

Thank you in advance for your expected response.

Jason Lillis

HandyHamlet

While I applaud your efforts I would be really surprised if you got anywhere with corporate chimpanzees who throw out BS like "Parental Guidance Required program".

Manager School 101: When the chimps are down throw out bigger words!

:monkey

icepik

Recent reply from the Mall

Jason,

I appreciate your response. We do not currently have plans to remove the fire arm ban in effect here at Mayfair. As a private property we are within our legal right to enforce such rules and are fully in compliance with state laws. If we elect to change this rule in the future we will be sure to let you know.

Thank you again for your feedback,
Kate

Kate Ochowicz
Marketing Manager
Mayfair

icepik

Final Response back to them...for now...

Hello again,

Thank you again for your e-mail.

Thank you for letting me know you’ll still be refusing to allow your customers the ability to legally protect themselves.

You are correct that it is your right to create a rule that restricts firearms in your buildings, I am not arguing that point.

I’m simply pointing out that many retail establishments have chosen to just abide by whatever their respective states laws are.

Because of that, I, and thousands others, will continue to spend our money with them and not at your property, or any of the stores within your property.

If you do change your policy, please advise me.

Thank you again for your time.

Jason Lillis

Superlite27

I would have asked Ms. Ochowicz how she plans on getting the killers who ignore the laws against murder to voluntarily obey their rule prohibiting firearms.

Do the mall's signs have some strange magical property that makes criminals who disregard laws prohibiting felonious activity to, somehow, obey that particular request?

littlewolf

I would have asked Ms. Ochowicz how she plans on getting the killers who ignore the laws against murder to voluntarily obey their rule prohibiting firearms.

Do the mall's signs have some strange magical property that makes criminals who disregard laws prohibiting felonious activity to, somehow, obey that particular request?

I hear ya , Community First Credit Union doesn't allow open carry at their business's and they got robbed at one of their Fox Vally locations last week .Go Figure.

LR Yote 312

As a private property we are within our legal right to enforce such rules and are fully in compliance with state laws.

That "Right" works 2 ways....And as such I have no obligation to
to patronize any establishment that refuses to recognize the 2nd Amendment.

I also see little need in flooding them with e mails, picketing the property entrances
or doing anything else to convince them of the error of their ways.
Their establishment has nothing I cant live without or get somewhere else.
Let them stack all the unenforceable rules and policies on top of one another they want,and let them drive their patrons away by doing so.

I will simply choose other places to patronize.

LR Yote