Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: And so the sausage making begins! Latest AZCDL update.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    661

    And so the sausage making begins! Latest AZCDL update.

    The AzCDL-List <azcdl-list@mailman.modwest.com> to azcdl-list@firearmscoalition.org
    2:06pm

    Representative Harper has “pre-filed” a Campus Carry bill, HB 2014:
    http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/1r/bills/hb2014p.pdf.

    HB 2014 prohibits colleges and universities from enacting or enforcing any rule that prohibits discreetly carried firearms by anyone who possesses a valid CCW permit.

    We expect to see more Campus Carry bills filed once the session officially starts later this month.

    Stay tuned! When critical legislation moves, we will notify you via these Alerts.

    You can also follow AzCDL on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/FacebookAzCDL , and during the legislative session, we’ll send out updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/AzCDL_Alerts .

    AzCDL’s Political Action Committee (PAC) is also on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/FacebookAzCDLPAC .

    AzCDL – Protecting Your Freedom
    http://www.azcdl.org/html/accomplishments.html

    The Pertinent change is the addition of the following:

    G. NOTWITHSTANDING SUBSECTION D OF THIS SECTION, THE GOVERNING BOARD
    OF ANY UNIVERSITY, COLLEGE OR COMMUNITY COLLEGE SHALL NOT ENACT OR ENFORCE
    ANY POLICY OR RULE THAT PROHIBITS THE POSSESSION OF A CONCEALED WEAPON BY A
    PERSON WHO POSSESSES A VALID PERMIT RECOGNIZED OR ISSUED PURSUANT TO SECTION
    13-3112 OR THE TRANSPORTATION OR STORAGE OF A FIREARM PURSUANT TO SECTION
    12-781.
    Last edited by Dahwg; 01-03-2011 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Added quote from bill.

  2. #2
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    245

    Campus Carry: WOOHOO!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dahwg View Post
    The AzCDL-List <azcdl-list@mailman.modwest.com> to azcdl-list@firearmscoalition.org
    2:06pm

    Representative Harper has “pre-filed” a Campus Carry bill, HB 2014:
    http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/1r/bills/hb2014p.pdf.

    HB 2014 prohibits colleges and universities from enacting or enforcing any rule that prohibits discreetly carried firearms by anyone who possesses a valid CCW permit.

    We expect to see more Campus Carry bills filed once the session officially starts later this month.

    Stay tuned! When critical legislation moves, we will notify you via these Alerts.

    You can also follow AzCDL on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/FacebookAzCDL , and during the legislative session, we’ll send out updates via Twitter: http://twitter.com/AzCDL_Alerts .

    AzCDL’s Political Action Committee (PAC) is also on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/FacebookAzCDLPAC .

    AzCDL – Protecting Your Freedom
    http://www.azcdl.org/html/accomplishments.html

    The Pertinent change is the addition of the following:
    As soon as I saw campus carry I got excited.

  3. #3
    Regular Member AZkopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    673
    One small step for CWPers, once giant step for Arizona. Lets hope it passes in a way that still makes it useful.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by AZkopper View Post
    One small step for CWPers, once giant step for Arizona. Lets hope it passes in a way that still makes it useful.
    That and carry on school grounds next- or as you pointed out on another thread, at least get rid of the UNLOADED requirement. That law not only does nothing to deter would-be criminals, it is a ND waiting to happen!

  5. #5
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    Jon Justice was hittin' on this bill (104.1 FM) this morning. Unfortunately he referenced the NRA instead of AzCDL... I called in and mentioned that... as well as the AZ Constitution (Sec 2 Art 26) ratified in 1912 and full statewide premption. Who owns the colleges? The state. Who crafts the law IAW the constitution? The state. Campus security... UofA Police Chief (et al) does NOT... CANNOT create law. Nothing is 100%... but it's better than 0%. Besides... the presence of firearms on campus has to serve as a deterrent to any would-be nut.

  6. #6
    Regular Member rickc1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Battle Mountain, NV.
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    Jon Justice was hittin' on this bill (104.1 FM) this morning. Unfortunately he referenced the NRA instead of AzCDL... I called in and mentioned that... as well as the AZ Constitution (Sec 2 Art 26) ratified in 1912 and full statewide premption. Who owns the colleges? The state. Who crafts the law IAW the constitution? The state. Campus security... UofA Police Chief (et al) does NOT... CANNOT create law. Nothing is 100%... but it's better than 0%. Besides... the presence of firearms on campus has to serve as a deterrent to any would-be nut.
    Did he correct his reference to the NRA, I know the NRA does some good work just because of shear size, and I say thinks to them for it , but I think thay take way to much, or given to much credit for the accomplishments that the AzCDL do here.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by rickc1962 View Post
    Did he correct his reference to the NRA, I know the NRA does some good work just because of shear size, and I say thinks to them for it , but I think thay take way to much, or given to much credit for the accomplishments that the AzCDL do here.
    I don't think he mentioned the NRA again. NRA gets way too much ill-deserved credit for what the state gun groups and SAF actually do. I think it's an 'assumption' more than anything else on the part of the general public that the NRA is leading the charge on anything gun related. NRA to me... is rife with FUDDs and more interested in promoting money making schemes and/or compromise than advancing actual rights. I didn't renew my membership and won't until they get back to basics. I'm not gonna hold my breath.

  8. #8
    Regular Member rickc1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Battle Mountain, NV.
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    I don't think he mentioned the NRA again. NRA gets way too much ill-deserved credit for what the state gun groups and SAF actually do. I think it's an 'assumption' more than anything else on the part of the general public that the NRA is leading the charge on anything gun related. NRA to me... is rife with FUDDs and more interested in promoting money making schemes and/or compromise than advancing actual rights. I didn't renew my membership and won't until they get back to basics. I'm not gonna hold my breath.
    I didn`t want to be rude, but thats why I won`t join, I do listen to Cam & co. from time to time and when I hear things thats not correct I call in or send talk backs, thay don`t respond much, I guess I believe to strongly in the freedoms of the 2nd Amendment for there tast.

  9. #9
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    Jon Justice was hittin' on this bill (104.1 FM) this morning. Unfortunately he referenced the NRA instead of AzCDL
    Thanks!

    I forgot that it was an "AzCDL-requested" bill until I talked to Dave, AzCDL's Prez & chief lobbyists last night. I'm expecting to see a couple more Campus Carry bills. For the last couple of years, these bills were dead on arrival. Now, everyone wants to get in on the action. It will still be a hard fight with predictions of hormonally charged "children" (the 21 year olds with the CCW permits) on a shooting rampage througout the campus.

    Those of us who live in Tucson, where the U of A is in the center of town with traffic running through it, run afoul of the current law by simply turning on the "wrong" street in our daily travels.

    If you are not subscribed to AzCDL's Alerts, I urge you to do so. Once the session gets going next week, I won't have time to cross post on this forum. For those of you who get AzCDL's Alerts, feel free to cross post here.

    Fred

  10. #10
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    Thanks!

    I forgot that it was an "AzCDL-requested" bill until I talked to Dave, AzCDL's Prez & chief lobbyists last night. I'm expecting to see a couple more Campus Carry bills. For the last couple of years, these bills were dead on arrival. Now, everyone wants to get in on the action. It will still be a hard fight with predictions of hormonally charged "children" (the 21 year olds with the CCW permits) on a shooting rampage througout the campus.

    Those of us who live in Tucson, where the U of A is in the center of town with traffic running through it, run afoul of the current law by simply turning on the "wrong" street in our daily travels.

    If you are not subscribed to AzCDL's Alerts, I urge you to do so. Once the session gets going next week, I won't have time to cross post on this forum. For those of you who get AzCDL's Alerts, feel free to cross post here.

    Fred
    Arizona has recognized the right to bear arms by 'hormonally charged "children"' w/o permit for the past hundred years since the state constitution was ratified February 14, 1912... and since the annexation of the territory by the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo, February 2, 1848. The days of the wild west are actually tame in comparison to the daily mayhem occuring back east today.
    Last edited by Sonora Rebel; 01-05-2011 at 10:21 AM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    The days of the wild west are actually tame in comparison to the daily mayhem occuring back east today.
    Actually the "Wild West" was tame compared to East coast cities back in the days of the alleged wild west. Violent crime rates in the big cities were higher than in the frontier where everyone had a gun. The image of the "wild west" came from the media and dime novels, not from real life.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    Jon Justice was hittin' on this bill (104.1 FM) this morning. Unfortunately he referenced the NRA instead of AzCDL... I called in and mentioned that... as well as the AZ Constitution (Sec 2 Art 26) ratified in 1912 and full statewide premption. Who owns the colleges? The state. Who crafts the law IAW the constitution? The state. Campus security... UofA Police Chief (et al) does NOT... CANNOT create law. Nothing is 100%... but it's better than 0%. Besides... the presence of firearms on campus has to serve as a deterrent to any would-be nut.
    As much as I like to listen to Jon Justice whenever I can, when it comes to 2A issues he just doesn't get it! Someone needs to take him to the range and get him some serious education. He spends too much time getting cozy with his TPD buddies. Ironically most cops I know are very pro-2A, so I dunno what his deal is.
    Last edited by Dahwg; 01-04-2011 at 01:37 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    Justice is an urbanite Californian as far as i can determine. It's a wonder he's not a pinko. It's easy enough to determine AZ gun law... or anywhere's gun law. It's not rocket science.

  14. #14
    Regular Member rickc1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Battle Mountain, NV.
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    Actually the "Wild West" was tame compared to East coast cities back in the days of the alleged wild west. Violent crime rates in the big cities were higher than in the frontier where everyone had a gun. The image of the "wild west" came from the media and dime novels, not from real life.
    Fred.. thinks for setting the story strait about the OLD WEST not the WILD WEST, as a student and lover of the old west I`ve been telling people for more years then I can remember this same thing. Very few people knew about the fight in tombstone until someone told them, or thay later read about it, the reason it made big news is because this kind of stuff hardly ever happened, and because of that it made for a great read in the dime novels back east. Hollywood made it look like the saloons were packed, ( thay did do great business,) and every one had ether fist or gun fights, slept with ******, and just walked the streets, but people in the 1800s` had jobs and lived boring lives just like we do today, the cowboys did come into town after sometimes months of solitude, and thay would let of steam, but it was usually no problem for the towns and thay were dealt with the same way rowdy`s are dealt with today. not much has changed in the past 130 years. But I say thinks to Hollywood!! Because of them, people come from around the world to watch me and others reenact the " wild west " of TV and movies.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by rickc1962 View Post
    Fred.. thinks for setting the story strait about the OLD WEST not the WILD WEST, as a student and lover of the old west I`ve been telling people for more years then I can remember this same thing. Very few people knew about the fight in tombstone until someone told them, or thay later read about it, the reason it made big news is because this kind of stuff hardly ever happened, and because of that it made for a great read in the dime novels back east. Hollywood made it look like the saloons were packed, ( thay did do great business,) and every one had ether fist or gun fights, slept with ******, and just walked the streets, but people in the 1800s` had jobs and lived boring lives just like we do today, the cowboys did come into town after sometimes months of solitude, and thay would let of steam, but it was usually no problem for the towns and thay were dealt with the same way rowdy`s are dealt with today. not much has changed in the past 130 years. But I say thinks to Hollywood!! Because of them, people come from around the world to watch me and others reenact the " wild west " of TV and movies.
    Yep!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •