• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Madison Malls?

GlockRDH

Its my understanding that East and West Towne Malls have an anti-weapons policy...BUT Dicks Sporting Goods is OK w/OC. Dicks is part of the mall...anyone know the status of Sears...its technically part of the mall...But so is Dicks.

comp45acp

I don't live in Madison and don't go there unless I have to. However I have a friend who has carried in Sears at East Towne without any issues. The first time he went in, early spring, he overheard some woman employee near the door say to a male employee that she was going to call the police. The male employee told her not to and got on the phone. Soon a suit appeared from upstairs and told them it was lawful and not to do anything about it. He has since carried there without trouble.

comp45acp

To be clear, you can't go in the mall itself. My friend was turned away after barely setting foot in the mall. He then entered Sears from their outside entrance.

Mlutz

Walked around west towne for at least a half an hour last summer. Walked past multiple "mall security" with no problems.

Canard

It also depends on whether dicks and sears are leased or owned by the aforementioned retailers. Sears does own most of their properties but not all. You would also need to determine whether or not either of these stores, if owned, also own the parking lot around their store. Many times they do but not always. If the lot is mall property then you could encounter trespassing issues when you carry.

Motofixxer

Many times they do but not always. If the lot is mall property then you could encounter trespassing issues when you carry.

Trespassing is only when posted as such after business hours etc, or an employee has told you to leave. Simply shopping while armed is not trespassing on it's own. There is a thread about Sears somewhere stating from management, that it's ok. The malls, I believe firearms are prohibited stated on a little plaque at the entrances between the doors.

Last edited:

Canard

Trespassing is only when posted as such after business hours etc, or an employee has told you to leave. Simply shopping while armed is not trespassing on it's own. There is a thread about Sears somewhere stating from management, that it's ok. The malls, I believe firearms are prohibited stated on a little plaque at the entrances between the doors.

Like I said, trespassing issues. You walk across a mall-owned parking lot going to sears and are asked by a mall employee to leave, try it again and you're trespassing. These are trespassing issues.