• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suitability lawsuit court date - 01/04/2010 @ 10:30am

Rich B

Looks like it is that time already.

AC31142 HHB
EDWARD A. PERUTA
Rachel M. Baird
v.
COMMISSIONER OF
PUBLIC SAFETY, ET AL.
Matthew B. Beizer,
Assistant Attorney Genera

Will be heard in Hartford's Appellate Court:

Appellate Court
75 Elm Street
Hartford, CT 06106

For people who are concerned about the issue of suitability in the state of CT and are tired of not having a true 'shall issue' permit system in CT, this case could use support.

I am planning to go to court for the hearing, I would hope others are planning to as well. This could be a landmark case for CT, and at the very least, we should be able to get a good read on the arguments from DPS against this.

KIX

I actually think I can make this one.

Parking down there can suck though!

Jonathan

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Case dismissed since you didn't use up all possible administrative remedies, but the same people you need to appeal to for a fair determination are the same people that presently prosecute you for what you're seeking a fair determination of.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Rich B

I think the hearing went well. Attorney Baird made some great arguments and the state looked silly and petty.

I will be excited to hear the decision.

Good work Ed, Attorney Baird and everyone working on this case.

Thanks Kix for coming to the courthouse, always good company.

KIX

Glad I got ya in a few minutes early Rich! Always good company brotha!

I think the state Assistant AG was rather ill prepared and really couldn't form an argument well.

The marshalls were entertaining!

Can't wait for Ed to get some video up.

Surprised there wasn't more of us there...... maybe not surprised as much as saddened.

Jonathan

Rich B

The marshalls were entertaining!

I agree. I am willing to bet that they knew nothing of this case, and probably know little of the OC fight in CT, but they were very interested based on our conversations afterwards.

Even with (I assume) no background in the case, they were both able to identify how full of it the Defendants are. Listening to the Defendants, the only comment one can have is "What the hell? Why can't you just give a straight answer to a basic question?".

The DPS is wasting their time, the taxpayers money, and our time with these ridiculous games. Telling Ed that he didn't precisely meet their requirements which are not defined in law or regulation when it is clear they knew exactly what he was looking for is preposterous. DPS is just playing games to try and stall. They are likely stalling until they can get their anti-OC legislation passed.

As a taxpayer, I want them to stop playing silly games with my money.

Edward Peruta

Last edited:

KIX

As a taxpayer, I want them to stop playing silly games with my money.

Ya, but the judges salaries are already accounted for, so is the assistant AG, sooo....... they see it as not costing anything.

The future of the topic will indeed be interesting. I think I may be filing my first FOIA request on a few towns and pick either yours or Eds brains on how to go through the process. I think it's time to get the towns (at least for the meantime) to follow state statutes.

Ed,

Good seeing you at the hearing and glad you posted the video. I was rolling when I saw you taping everything and figured you'd post it. Rich said "of course he's going to post it!".....

Sunlight can be the best disinfectant. The defense arguments are ....... ill prepared at best.

Jonathan

Rich B

Ya, but the judges salaries are already accounted for, so is the assistant AG, sooo....... they see it as not costing anything.

Maybe it would be interesting to put together the amount of time that these state workers have spent on trying to mess with open carry instead of just agreeing that "Yes, it is legal.". Then compare that with how much they hope to gain with the proposal of fining law abiding citizens for printing.

The future of the topic will indeed be interesting. I think I may be filing my first FOIA request on a few towns and pick either yours or Eds brains on how to go through the process. I think it's time to get the towns (at least for the meantime) to follow state statutes.

How about we start together with Stratford and use it as the prototype for permit issues?

Rich said "of course he's going to post it!".....

Us loudmouths never stay quiet for long...

The defense arguments are ....... ill prepared at best.

Sadly, so were the defense arguments in the last round of the Goldberg case, but that didn't stop Judge Underhill from defecating all over the Constitution and over basic common sense and reasoning. I am hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst. I wish it were up to the bailiffs that day instead of the judges!

KIX

Stratford and Middletown.

After my delay here, I'm also finding a lot of Middletown delays and appeals at the BFPE.

Jonathan

Rich B

Stratford and Middletown.

After my delay here, I'm also finding a lot of Middletown delays and appeals at the BFPE.

Fine with me. Lets get started. Let me know in email or IRC what you need. I will send you the FOI requests I made to Wallingford and Old Saybrook, we just need to adapt them to the circumstances here. Should be essentially the same to both towns, I would think.

We will need the names of at least the Chief of Police and records clerk in both departments, I would say.

Shawn Mitola

Let me tell you I read this entire brief as well as the transcript from the Goldberg case and it made my brain hurt. The stupidity of the people that are responsible for upholding our justice system astounds me.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Why should I be punished for abiding by the law because someone else doesn't "feel" comfortable at the sight of a exposed handgun. What if I was 7ft tall and 500lbs of muscle. Could I be arrested if I went into Chili's and someone became frightened by my presence??? Where is the logic?

NickNt

Amen!

let me tell you i read this entire brief as well as the transcript from the goldberg case and it made my brain hurt. The stupidity of the people that are responsible for upholding our justice system astounds me.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Why should i be punished for abiding by the law because someone else doesn't "feel" comfortable at the sight of a exposed handgun. What if i was 7ft tall and 500lbs of muscle. Could i be arrested if i went into chili's and someone became frightened by my presence??? Where is the logic?