• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT New to black powder any good beginner advice?

fire suppressor

Hello freedom lovers! Hope everyone had a merry Christmas. I do my best to keep my posts on topic but that being said no one I know shoots black powder so I'm asking all of you

I picked up a Remington 1858 over Christmas and am looking for any good beginner advice or references. Its not overly complicated but there is still a little more than I thought. The manual says I can use black powder or pyrodex any tips?

fetch

Join a club. Go to the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Assoc. (NMLRA) web site and look up clubs in your area. Ask around there may be clubs that are not listed in your area. BP or Pyodex? That is your call, but some clubs require BP only for competition matches. If you are just plinking, use whichever is cheaper.
Als,o BP is not above fed regulations, required storage, etc.

amlevin

You will be introduced to an entire new world. A world where some like to dress up in animal skins, not take baths, and live in tents with a bunch of others just like them.

You will also learn that cleaning a firearm is an all day job when it's fueled by black powder.

You will learn how to pull stuck balls from a barrel or cylinder.

You will learn the term "Chain Fire" and maybe have your emergent care facility on speed dial.

You will find out why the world changed to "Smokeless Powder".

Other the above, have fun.

Trigger Dr

You will be introduced to an entire new world. A world where some like to dress up in animal skins, not take baths, and live in tents with a bunch of others just like them.

You will also learn that cleaning a firearm is an all day job when it's fueled by black powder.

You will learn how to pull stuck balls from a barrel or cylinder.

You will learn the term "Chain Fire" and maybe have your emergent care facility on speed dial.

You will find out why the world changed to "Smokeless Powder".

Other the above, have fun.

Having shot the HOLY BLACK for over 40 years, I can definately disagree with most of the above. Give me a PM and I will gladly get together with you for a quick but comprehensive course.

ghosthunter

I have been hunting with black powder for 5 years now. And I love it. In fact my hunting group has talked about giving up modern rifles for hunting and going black powder for everything. Right now we just do elk.
I can clean my gun in about a hour if i break it all down.

Enjoy

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran

jeeper1

I have a bunch of BP handguns and rifles but almost all the BP I burn is through my mortars, cannons and flare launchers.

oneeyeross

Get rid of that Remington and buy an Colt 1851 Navy in .36 caliber, a real handgun. They handle and present better, well, at least in my opinion. (Ok, so this is only part in jest.) If you go whole hog and start getting an urge to buy rifles and other gee-gaws, you have two choices - embrace it or fight. They don't make shots you can take yet.

Chain firing won't be an issue is you take a few steps to ensure it doesn't happen. They make felt wads or you can use crisco or lard over the ball to seal it.

Only load five (5) cylinders. Or at least, that is what they did in the old days and what I do. Don't want that hammer resting on a cap...

Buy a nipple wrench, if you don't have one yet. Nipple wrenches are your friend.

Although pyrodex is available, I always preferred the real stuff - and yes, I am a luddite.

When you can, cast your own balls. It'll save some $ and let you shoot more....

Your regular hand gun shooting will improve, because you will relearn follow through...

Most of all - HAVE FUN!

Trigger Dr

Get rid of that Remington and buy an Colt 1851 Navy in .36 caliber, a real handgun. They handle and present better, well, at least in my opinion. (Ok, so this is only part in jest.) If you go whole hog and start getting an urge to buy rifles and other gee-gaws, you have two choices - embrace it or fight. They don't make shots you can take yet.

Chain firing won't be an issue is you take a few steps to ensure it doesn't happen. They make felt wads or you can use crisco or lard over the ball to seal it.

Only load five (5) cylinders. Or at least, that is what they did in the old days and what I do. Don't want that hammer resting on a cap...

Buy a nipple wrench, if you don't have one yet. Nipple wrenches are your friend.

Although pyrodex is available, I always preferred the real stuff - and yes, I am a luddite.

When you can, cast your own balls. It'll save some $ and let you shoot more....

Your regular hand gun shooting will improve, because you will relearn follow through...

Most of all - HAVE FUN!

The only problem with crisco or lard to prevent chain fire, as it warms up it willdrip away leaving little protection for chain fire. Use a 50/50 mixture of beeswax and crisco.

you can have your hammer rest on the notch BETWEEN the nipples on a '58 remington. On the 1860 Colt, there is a small pin between the nipples for the same reason.

Pyrodex will burn cleaner, but has a tendency to rust quicker than black.

If you need lead to cast the balls, let me know I have around 2500# of pure lead for casting. I'll give you enough to get started.

As far as cleaning the gun, HOT water is by far the best and fastest way to clean up after a day of shooting. After a match of 50 rounds, I can clean my Sharps or Hiwall with hot water followed by a couple dry patches and a lightly oiled patch and put it away with NO WORRY.
If you have leading problems, the leading can be removed with KROIL on a tight patch run through a few times. If you don't have Kroil ( from most auto parts stores) pure spirits of turpentine works very well.
I have around 60# of black powder in different grades, f, ff, fff, ffff, cartridge, cannon.
If you have trouble finding it locally I will help out there as well. I have it stored in a magazine at a friends fireworks plant.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

Thanks to all who replayed sorry I saw them late. I have this thread set up to email my droid me instantly so I can stay on top of things but this new forum is hit and miss with my notifications. Shooting black powder may be a little more effort than modern firearms but there history is rich. Its my understanding that the 1858 was the favored handgun in both the American Indian wars and the American civil war, no glock can compete with that