Thread: DNA clears Texas man who spent 30 years in prison

DNA clears Texas man who spent 30 years in prison

Chalk up another victory for the justice system.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110103/...a_exoneration#

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124;1434147[COLOR="blue"
    ]Chalk up another victory for the justice system[/COLOR].

Please tell me you were being sarcastic.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    Chalk up another victory for the justice system.

I agree with SVG on this one.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

You mean an example of an unjust system, possibly? I do not know the details of the case...the "accomplice" that was convicted with this man was arrested for rape prior to them being held on this charge and subsequent conviction, FWIU; makes a person wonder!

The lack of DNA evidence does not mean the person was not there, and was not culpable in the crime (example: if DNA was taken from a rape victim, but one of the men used a condom...there would likely only be the DNA of the person who did not cover-up). It appears that in some of these cases the DNA is just a portion of a case that had been handled negligently.

I read(e) that the man who was with the woman could not or did not identify in a photo line-up the man that has been exonerated.

If an innocent man was found guilty by our court system, is the system unjust? Is the conviction or process unjust? Was the ruling just, based on the information at the time, but unjust in that it convicted an innocent person? Can a just system convict people unjustly? Can an unjust system convict people justly? So many questions....
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 01-05-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Apparently sarcasm isn't detected well through text.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    You mean an example of an unjust system, possibly? I do not know the details of the case...the "accomplice" that was convicted with this man was arrested for rape prior to them being held on this charge and subsequent conviction, FWIU; makes a person wonder!

The lack of DNA evidence does not mean the person was not there, and was not culpable in the crime (example: if DNA was taken from a rape victim, but one of the men used a condom...there would likely only be the DNA of the person who did not cover-up). It appears that in some of these cases the DNA is just a portion of a case that had been handled negligently.

I read(e) that the man who was with the woman could not or did not identify in a photo line-up the man that has been exonerated.

If an innocent man was found guilty by our court system, is the system unjust? Is the conviction or process unjust? Was the ruling just, based on the information at the time, but unjust in that it convicted an innocent person? Can a just system convict people unjustly? Can an unjust system convict people justly? So many questions....
    That's the difference between a "just system" and a "perfect system".

That's the difference between a "just system" and a "perfect system".
    We must have perfection!...ok, we don't and won't.

They should call it a "we do the best we can system." Not as catchy though
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Yup. Not sure what it is, but something doesn't quite click with that one.

Why was a vaginal swab taken in 1979 when DNA profiling didn't start until the mid 80's?

Quote Originally Posted by CDT COX View Post
    Why was a vaginal swab taken in 1979 when DNA profiling didn't start until the mid 80's?
    Because the fluid evidence collected by a vaginal swab contains more than just DNA. Ejaculate can indicate blood type, and whether the attacker was an "excreter".

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Because the fluid evidence collected by a vaginal swab contains more than just DNA. Ejaculate can indicate blood type, and whether the attacker was an "excreter".
    Excreter?

I am sorry, but I have been studying a lot (beginning of the quarter)...when I read(e) your response I thought, "they forgot...'to test for the gender of the perp'." DUH, I am so freaking tired!

Apparently sarcasm isn't detected well through text.
    I knew you were being sarcastic, but no it doesn't translate through text often.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

No our system is broken. No longer do I hear at all, from anyone in the system about how it is better to let a 100 guilty men go than try one innocent man. Something I strongly believe in, but for our "justice" system it's about points and conviction and winning the game. Unfortunately they are playing this game with peoples lives.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    No our system is broken. No longer do I hear at all, from anyone in the system about how it is better to let a 100 guilty men go than try one innocent man. Something I strongly believe in, but for our "justice" system it's about points and conviction and winning the game. Unfortunately they are playing this game with peoples lives.
    Exactly, and while young Asst DA's rise through the ranks on the backs of innocent victims of the justice system, The People are the ones who loose.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Excreter?

I am sorry, but I have been studying a lot (beginning of the quarter)...when I read(e) your response I thought, "they forgot...'to test for the gender of the perp'." DUH, I am so freaking tired!
    Sorry, my bad typo. Should have been "secretor".

A "secretor" passes along an identifiable amount of blood type information in certain bodily secretions, like saliva and ejaculate. Vaginal swabs would detect if the ejaculate belonged to a secretor or not, and if positive, his blood type. It only applies to blood types A, B, or AB.

http://www.right4eu.us/secretor.html