Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Hunter's Safety Conundrum

  1. #1
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879

    Hunter's Safety Conundrum

    Me - 32 year old / married

    Son - 10 years old / from a relationship before I was married

    Here's my problem:
    I want to get my son into the Hunter's Safety class ASAP. His mother (from a previous relationship) wants nothing to do with him and guns. She's not so much hateful of guns but more of me and anything I want to include my son on. Much time and money has been/continues to be spent on extending the meager every-other-weekend (4 days a month) that I get to spend with him.

    Here in the Stevens Point area the WDNR Hunter's Safety Courses are offered as follows:
    - Sat & Sun Courses for 16+ years old
    - Weekly/Monthly courses all fall during the weekday

    So as it sits right now a father like me is unable to get my son into a H.S. course for another SIX years.

    Anyone have any ideas? I'm annoyed but I know my son is going to be deeply disappointed.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    Me - 32 year old / married

    Son - 10 years old / from a relationship before I was married

    Here's my problem:
    I want to get my son into the Hunter's Safety class ASAP. His mother (from a previous relationship) wants nothing to do with him and guns. She's not so much hateful of guns but more of me and anything I want to include my son on. Much time and money has been/continues to be spent on extending the meager every-other-weekend (4 days a month) that I get to spend with him.

    Here in the Stevens Point area the WDNR Hunter's Safety Courses are offered as follows:
    - Sat & Sun Courses for 16+ years old
    - Weekly/Monthly courses all fall during the weekday

    So as it sits right now a father like me is unable to get my son into a H.S. course for another SIX years.

    Anyone have any ideas? I'm annoyed but I know my son is going to be deeply disappointed.
    I'm a Hunter Safety Instructor, and never heard of 16 Plus only classes. Get a list of instructors from the DNR and inquire about a CD class. Talk to your local DNR about these so called class restrictions. I've never turned anybody away from my classes. ( I've failed a few individuals, but I'm a stickler for safety).

    IMHO, 10 is too young. I had a 10 year old in my last class and he couldn't sit still. The class was boring for him. (I asked). You realize that you may take your son hunting with you without a HS class don't you?

    Look up the regs.

    JJC

  3. #3
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by JJC View Post
    I'm a Hunter Safety Instructor, and never heard of 16 Plus only classes. Get a list of instructors from the DNR and inquire about a CD class. Talk to your local DNR about these so called class restrictions. I've never turned anybody away from my classes. ( I've failed a few individuals, but I'm a stickler for safety).

    IMHO, 10 is too young. I had a 10 year old in my last class and he couldn't sit still. The class was boring for him. (I asked). You realize that you may take your son hunting with you without a HS class don't you?

    Look up the regs.

    JJC
    Thanks for the info - John Dolan was the guy I spoke with on the phone and that is what he told me, that the two-day class was for 16 or older only.

    The main reason I want him to go is because, while I've taught him everything I know and am extremely strict with safety issues, so was my dad with me. But my experience in H.S. as a young pup only helped to reaffirm those habits.

    I'll look up the regs on hunting but I was under the assumption that to do the Youth Hunt in the early fall the child had to have H.S..

  4. #4
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    This what I found on the DNR's website:
    http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/safety/huntag.htm

    Who May Hunt/Purchase a Hunting License in Wisconsin?

    * Everyone who hunts must have a license which they must carry on themselves while engaged in hunting (except certain landowner privileges - see below).

    * No one under the age of 12 may purchase a license or possess a firearm. Exception see Mentored Hunt

    * Children ages 12 and 13 may purchase a license and hunt if accompanied by a parent or guardian at least 18 years of age, and successfully completed a hunting safety course.

    * Anyone 14 years of age or older, born on or after January 1, 1973, may purchase a license and hunt if in possession of a hunting safety course completion certificate unless privileges revoked in a court of law.

    * Anyone successfully completing and carrying proof of completion of basic training in the U.S. armed forces, reserves or national guard does not need a hunting safety course certificate to purchase a license.

    * Anyone born before January 1, 1973, may purchase a license and hunt unless privileges are revoked in a court of law.

    * Landowners may hunt for beaver, foxes, raccoons, woodchucks, rabbits, and squirrels without a license on their own property.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minocqua, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    179
    http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/safety/hunted.htm
    "Who is eligible to take a class
    Anyone of any age can take the class. Those that meet the course requirements will receive a safety education completion certificate.
    However, it should be noted that persons younger than 12 may lose some of the benefits of the certification (small game hunting privilege, authorization to shoot an antler less deer during the first gun deer season after graduation) if they take the class sooner than age 12. The department encourages people to wait until they turn 12 within 6 months of completion of the course before taking it. Students with special needs must contact the instructor at least two weeks in advance of the course to request special accommodations."

    Can you wait till he's 12? Sounds like benefit for that antleress deer. Also online or CD classes are mention at the DNR website. I didn't read it thoroughly. Needless to say, any age can take the class. Perhaps it's not a DNR class you were checking in to?

  6. #6
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbersmom View Post
    http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/safety/hunted.htm
    "Who is eligible to take a class
    Anyone of any age can take the class. Those that meet the course requirements will receive a safety education completion certificate.
    However, it should be noted that persons younger than 12 may lose some of the benefits of the certification (small game hunting privilege, authorization to shoot an antler less deer during the first gun deer season after graduation) if they take the class sooner than age 12. The department encourages people to wait until they turn 12 within 6 months of completion of the course before taking it. Students with special needs must contact the instructor at least two weeks in advance of the course to request special accommodations."

    Can you wait till he's 12? Sounds like benefit for that antleress deer. Also online or CD classes are mention at the DNR website. I didn't read it thoroughly. Needless to say, any age can take the class. Perhaps it's not a DNR class you were checking in to?
    Well I got the name and the number right from the DNR's site so I'm guessing it was official.

    Either way it look like he'll have to wait anyway.
    Last edited by anmut; 01-03-2011 at 05:49 PM.

  7. #7
    Opt-Out Members scm54449's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Marshfield, WI
    Posts
    221
    I moved from Stevens Point more than a few years ago, but the local chapter of the Izaak Walton League offered hunter safety courses as did the Portage County Sherrif's Department. You might want to contact or Google them to see if they still offer those classes.
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

  8. #8
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by scm54449 View Post
    I moved from Stevens Point more than a few years ago, but the local chapter of the Izaak Walton League offered hunter safety courses as did the Portage County Sherrif's Department. You might want to contact or Google them to see if they still offer those classes.
    I'm a member there and yes they still let the DNR run their classes there. But DNR still has (what looks like) control over the classes themselves.
    Last edited by anmut; 01-03-2011 at 07:12 PM.

  9. #9
    Opt-Out Members scm54449's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Marshfield, WI
    Posts
    221
    Acchhh. My apologies and good luck with the classes!
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

  10. #10
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    Look up the mentor program in the regs. 10 yr. olds can hunt without HS classes.
    I took my 10yr. old deer hunting this year, see had a ball. Could'n't sit still long enough to see a deer but we had fun anyway.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox


    We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Hunting Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    92
    My daughter is 10 and graduated the H.S. course this summer. She went and hunted 7 of the 9 days of the regular season and some of the bonus days. It took a few times of sitting, but they figure out how to sit still. She did harvest a deer this year and she is now hooked. Especially because she now has a buck tag to hang over her Papa's head. She can't wait to go out and do some coyote hunting this winter yet.

    I wish you the best in what you end up doing. Good Luck!

  12. #12
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    I teach the DNR boating safety course, and we recommend nobody younger than (IIRC) 12, because it does have some pretty boring info, as well as some concepts that are a bit advanced for the average kid. Heck, even most 12yo struggle a bit.

    There is a CD hunter safety course, as someone else mentioned. See if you can get that, & he can study it as long as he wants before taking the in-person class & the test.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  13. #13
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I teach the DNR boating safety course, and we recommend nobody younger than (IIRC) 12, because it does have some pretty boring info, as well as some concepts that are a bit advanced for the average kid. Heck, even most 12yo struggle a bit.

    There is a CD hunter safety course, as someone else mentioned. See if you can get that, & he can study it as long as he wants before taking the in-person class & the test.
    Do you teach how to avoid a random boating accident?
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox


    We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

  14. #14
    Regular Member CUOfficer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    194
    My girlfriend went throught he online Hunter's Safety Class and then we traveled to the Madison area for a one day field day. In my opinion, the online class skips a lot of stuff that you would learn in class. The field day was a joke. Some of the instructors were using such "big" words that none of the kids were grasping it. If you go this route, teach your child the parts of the gun and different actions at home!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •