• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help Fight City of Lansing's Illegal Ordinances on Febuary 7, 2011

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
And MOC fought against it. The severability clause was specifically mentioned.

Yes it was because it is specifically designed to mislead the public and place the burden of researching the entire ordinance on the public to find which part is NOT legal. What most people missed also is that Taylor paid a lawyer to correct this for them. When they didn't like what he wrote (most likely because it was too clear for their liking) they just published this crap instead. NICE!

Bronson

I still think it's bad use of resources. It complies. Is it clumsy, poorly worded, and possibly devious? Yes, but it still complies.

The other two on the other hand.....

Bronson

scot623

I find the following statement very curious...

From Lansing City Pulse..."Vince Spagnuolo, an attorney with Murphy, Brenton and Spagnuolo in Lansing who is representing the library, said he is looking at two factors: Lansing has an ordinance that says no firearms or dangerous weapons can be carried in public places unless it is in a case and is not loaded."

Now I thought that ordinance wasn't being enforced? Interesting how a lawyer who works for the CADL, paid for by OUR tax dollars, doesn't know that. But sure, leave it on the books...it's not hurting anyone. What a joke.

B

Bikenut

I find the following statement very curious...

From Lansing City Pulse..."Vince Spagnuolo, an attorney with Murphy, Brenton and Spagnuolo in Lansing who is representing the library, said he is looking at two factors: Lansing has an ordinance that says no firearms or dangerous weapons can be carried in public places unless it is in a case and is not loaded."

Now I thought that ordinance wasn't being enforced? Interesting how a lawyer who works for the CADL, paid for by OUR tax dollars, doesn't know that. But sure, leave it on the books...it's not hurting anyone. What a joke.

That is a perfect example of "passive enforcement". Since it is on the books and a reporter who doesn't know it can't be enforced repeated it as the law... everyone who isn't up on MCL 123.1102 that read it now believes it to actually be the law with the force of law.

I still say every illegal ordinance MUST be taken off the books completely! Not carefully wordsmithed to intentionally be confusing to allow passive enforcement but REMOVED COMPLETELY!

scot623

Bikenut, a reporter finding this ordinance is one thing to be sure...this is an ATTORNEY who is hired by THE COUNTY AND THE CITY using this law in his research. By him, an ATTORNEY who is hired by the GOVERNMENT quoting this law, EVERY layman who reads this article is going to assume the ATTORNEY is knowledgeable will go forth thinking the ordiance is legal. Therefore thinking every gun seen on a hip is ILLEGAL prompting an unneeded call the the police.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Bikenut, a reporter finding this ordinance is one thing to be sure...this is an ATTORNEY who is hired by THE COUNTY AND THE CITY using this law in his research. By him, an ATTORNEY who is hired by the GOVERNMENT quoting this law, EVERY layman who reads this article is going to assume the ATTORNEY is knowledgeable will go forth thinking the ordiance is legal. Therefore thinking every gun seen on a hip is ILLEGAL prompting an unneeded call the the police.

Thank you for correcting me (no sarcasm.. genuine appreciation:cool:) as I had focused on the newspaper being the medium that made it possible to reach the public.

You are correct and the attorney quoting the illegal ordinance giving the impression it is legal is, in my opinion anway, much more heinous than a reporter reporting it.

Luckily I never said I never made mistakes... or that I was perfect... although some folks have said I'm a perfect ars........ ummmm ... let's skip that part.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

PDinDetroit

I posted this in a thread on MGO, thought I would share with you here.

PDinDetroit (MGO) said:
I agree about the Michigan (and National) Firearms Rights Groups coming together - we must put whatever differences exist in the past and stand together. I believe that there will be many opportunities upcoming for this to occur (hint-hint).

Due to the recent SCOTUS Decisions in Heller v. DC and McDonald v. Chicago, the right of Self-Protection has been established as a Fundamental Right and this right is generally provided for or secured by the use of a firearm. Even though the context of these decisions has been within the home, carry in everyday life would be a natural/normal extension of these decisions.

I believe the argument could easily be made and "won" that We The People have a Right to Life and therefore have a Duty To Protect that Right by Each Person providing for their Self-Protection by carrying a firearm wherever we are lawfully allowed to be. This, I believe, exists as a Civil Right.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends...

Haman J.T.

Thank you for correcting me (no sarcasm.. genuine appreciation:cool:) as I had focused on the newspaper being the medium that made it possible to reach the public.

You are correct and the attorney quoting the illegal ordinance giving the impression it is legal is, in my opinion anway, much more heinous than a reporter reporting it.

Luckily I never said I never made mistakes... or that I was perfect... although some folks have said I'm a perfect ars........ ummmm ... let's skip that part.:D
I apre-see-ate your humilitee.Cuz I aint eether.I hope no one thinks so becuz of my writtin!

Jared

Are people still planning on attending. I don't want to drive from Wayne Co. to Lansing if it's going to be a bust.

Those that plan on attending please post.

Thanks

TheQ

Are people still planning on attending. I don't want to drive from Wayne Co. to Lansing if it's going to be a bust.

Those that plan on attending please post.

Thanks

I will be there, so will my Aidan. Venator plans to attend (I believe). There is a group of 4 or 6 carpooling from Metro Detroit.

Haman J.T.

I plan on being there. Parking meters are free after 6:eek:o PM
I'll be going as long as someone stops by at 11 mile and VanDyke,near where Randy Krantz(MOC secretary) lives,on their way by,after leaving National Coney,11 mile and Gratiot(3 miles east of me)! Rob? Scott?

Haman J.T.

I'll be going as long as someone stops by at 11 mile and VanDyke,near where Randy Krantz(MOC secretary) lives,on their way by,after leaving National Coney,11 mile and Gratiot(3 miles east of me)! Rob? Scott?
Never mind!

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Reposting of personal email