• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. awarded $7,500 judgment against City of Brookfield/Police

M

McX

looks like their totality of circumstances just didnt hold up. congrats to Krysta, and WisconsinCarry!

metalman383

I am proud, and I too feel safer knowing that I have someone who has got my back. WCI has proven multiple times that they do. Thank you to everyone that puts in all the time and effort.

comp45acp

Another great job by WCI, thanks for all you do in the name of Liberty. Hopefully, police chiefs around the state will do some remedial training with all their officers on the rights of citizens. Yes, we carry guns now also. Get over it and go about looking for bad guys.

MKEgal

First thing this morning I had a call from a reporter, so I figured out that Nik must have done the press release...

Thank you to WCI for the support, both emotional & financial, to get through the most public parts of this incident. And though I am deeply grateful for the money, nothing they can pay me can make up for ruining my relationship with my son. I hope that will recover somewhat with time.

I understand there was some retraining within the dispatch/call center shortly after 04JUL10; hope it was mirrored within the Brookfield PD, so nobody else has to have her life threatened for exercising too many civil rights at once. (Worship and bearing arms? What were you thinking! You can only pick one at a time.)

And I really hope we get Constitutional carry soon, because if I'd been allowed legally to conceal I probably would have, and there wouldn't have been anyone the wiser. I would have been protected, they would have been unaware, everyone would have been happy.

FMJ45

For Immediate Release:

On Sunday July 4th, 2010, a law abiding Wisconsin woman,

[[ CUT ALL THE GOOD STUFF OUT ]]

On October 7th, 2010 Wisconsin Carry, Inc., on behalf of our member, filed a federal lawsuit against the City of Brookfield and 4 officers involved in her illegal arrest/search.

A copy of that lawsuit can be viewed here:

http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/Brookfield/Doc_1_Complaint.pdf

Today, on behalf of Wisconsin Carry's thousands of members, in every county, all across the state, and law-abiding citizens who legally exercise their right to carry in Wisconsin we are pleased to announce that a judgment of $7,500 has been entered in United States District Court against The City of Brookfield. A copy of this judgment can be viewed here:

[[ CUT MORE GOOD STUFF OUT ]]

Carry On,

Nik Clark
Chairman/President - Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
www.wisconsincarry.org
nik@wisconsincarry.org

Truly a good news day for the new year!
:D

I hate to think that the citizens of Brookfield WI., will ultimately have to pay the award money via higher taxes and/or higher insurance premiums in the BKFLD PD budget.

That is the sorry part of this story. (Damn Jackboot Thugs):mad:

Congrats to those involved for seeing, believing, and following through.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/112841934.html

"These are kind of 'gotcha' cases," said the attorney, Greg Gunta. "The courts are being used for a political stage."

People's right to be free from unlawful arrest and illegal search and seizure is not a "political" thing, its a civil rights thing.

Gunta, the city's lawyer, said if the lawsuit is really about the principle involved, the plaintiffs should consider donating the money back to Brookfield for gun education.

This case has nothing to do with gun education. This case has to do with knowledge of the law and civil rights.

As the city's attorney perhaps Mr. Gunta should go over to the Police Department and have a talk with the officers about people's civil rights and save The City of Brookfield the costs of future litigation. Its low-class an unprofessional of him to make excuses and/or justify the police behavior in this situation.

apjonas

You May Want to Read the Document

Excellent! Another city that admits wrongdoing, another notch on the belt. It's just too bad that the individual LEOs involved in these cases won't be held responsible for paying the judgments.

There is NO admission of wrongdoing. Once again the malefactors walk away unbruised, untarnished and free to roust the next citizen. Ok the attorneys get some $ that the taxpayers (ultimately) must cough up. The cops walk away laughing their posteriors off, nothing is resolved. This is classic rope-a-dope. Wise up people, these teeny tiny cash awards are simply the cost (paid by somebody else) of having the fun of pushing OC'ers to the ground. If this is an acceptable goal, you can probably win 2 or 3 a year. You may want to ask yourself with all these judgments being paid, how come the behavior doesn't change? Sorry to be the skunk at the picnic but better to face up to reality sooner than later.

Krusty

I just got the WAVE link posted onto my FB page. It would be nice if I had the option to post a comment for them to see. It seems as if people with opposing views are blocked from replying.

XDFDE45

There is NO admission of wrongdoing. Once again the malefactors walk away unbruised, untarnished and free to roust the next citizen. Ok the attorneys get some $ that the taxpayers (ultimately) must cough up. The cops walk away laughing their posteriors off, nothing is resolved. This is classic rope-a-dope. Wise up people, these teeny tiny cash awards are simply the cost (paid by somebody else) of having the fun of pushing OC'ers to the ground. If this is an acceptable goal, you can probably win 2 or 3 a year. You may want to ask yourself with all these judgments being paid, how come the behavior doesn't change? Sorry to be the skunk at the picnic but better to face up to reality sooner than later.

So we just lay down and take it every time a police officer goes over the line
raisedeyebrow.gif
Change does take time and money but it has to start somewhere. How long did the lawful residents of DC and Chicago have to suffer before Heller and McDonald were decided by the SCOTUS? Had those cases not been brought before the SCOTUS CHANGE would have never happened. And now it is the law of the land that the 2nd Amendment is an INDIVIDUAL RIGHT (although we already knew that). But to say we should NOT challenge these types of outright violations of our rights (that's what it sounds like but I hope that is not what you are suggesting) and let them continue to do so at will, well I'm calling
bs.gif
on that.

anmut

The price of doing business...

Just got a notification of this article:

http://wtaq.com/news/articles/2011/jan/04/brookfield-taxpayers-hit-7500-payout-open-carry-in/

SNIP:
Greg Gunta, a lawyer for the city of Brookfield, says police will continue to respond in force to people with guns. And if it’s a legal open carry, then it’s the cost of doing business.

So the price of freedom is harassment? Or $7500 is the price the police are willing to pay every time someone open carries?

That statement boils my blood so much....

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
We Must Remove "Immunity" From The Police. PERIOD

One thing we should do is push our new governor and legislature to remove the "immunity" b.s. from the police. Once that is done the police who like to push people around and violate rights will have to personally pay for their arrogance and hopefully spend some time in federal prisons. This "Gestapo" mentality of some of these officers has to stop. These are dangerous people wearing badges and carrying guns.

Carry your video recorder with you at all times...heck, carry two!

anmut

One thing we should do is push our new governor and legislature to remove the "immunity" b.s. from the police. Once that is done the police who like to push people around and violate rights will have to personally pay for their arrogance and hopefully spend some time in federal prisons. This "Gestapo" mentality of some of these officers has to stop. These are dangerous people wearing badges and carrying guns.

Carry your video recorder with you at all times...heck, carry two!

You know if Hitler's Germany happened in the 21st Century I'm willing the above bold part of your last statement would have been a rallying cry for the Jews. That's where we sit with our liberties. A sad f*cking state of affairs if you ask me.

johnny amish

MKEgal, inspiration comes from many different sources. Thankyou, because you have been a great source of inspiration for all of us. Everything you have been through gives us the desire to keep standing up for what is right in life.

MKEgal

anmut said:
Greg Gunta, a lawyer for the city of Brookfield, says police will continue to respond in force to people with guns. And if it’s a legal open carry, then it’s the cost of doing business.

Wow.
Just, wow.
Sounds like a mini-Madison, and maybe they need the same treatment. (More Federal lawsuits.)

How many more crimes committed by police, how many more lawsuits paid by the citizens of Brookfield, before the police (and city attorney) agree to FOLLOW THE LAW? That would be ever so much less expensive.

What does he mean "if it's a legal open carry"? OC is legal. The BPD has to have RAS of a crime to stop someone, and exercising a civil right is not a crime.

BTW, did any of you notice them "responding with force" during our pancake breakfast?
I even invited them and everything!

TyGuy

After enough $$$ is paid out I'm sure departments will start changing the way they respond. Keep up the good work up there. It's the only source of inspiration that us down here in IL can look to right now.